Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#270064 03/03/08 03:05 PM
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
While my guitar gently weeps.....

The music world has lost an amazing blues singer today. Jeff Healy passed away at 41 years of age of cancer. This is so sad. I love his music and have been following his career all of my life. I have actually been learning "Blue Jean Blues", one of my favorite songs he performed.

When I lived in Toronto 18 years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting him at The Gasworks. He came in one night and the band that was playing was an Alice tribute. They asked if he would sit and play a few songs. The place was packed and you could have heard a pin drop when they brought him on the stage and he laid that guitar on his lap and started the opening chords. He played for about 30 minutes, then I had the pleasure of being introduced to him by the owners of the bar. It was a treat to sit and share a few beers with him.

Makes me sad.

JZB Offline
Sad news. frown

I echo the sad. I was introduced to his music years ago in New York by a dear friend. When he played the first song for me, I felt like he gave me a gift.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
S
S
Man that truly, truly sucks! One hell of a kick ass guitar player. Saw him a few times over the years.

For those who don't know of him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Healey

http://www.jeffhealeyband.com/

C
C
Lil'red I lived in TO about the same time (husband is a Canadian) The Gasworks ROCKED!

K
KB Offline
K
I saw Jeff several times at Grossmans and upstairs at the Brunswick House. Like the old saying goes - the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. His talent was surreal and he never seemed to let it go to his head....just a normal guy. It is a sad day in Toronto today.

S
S
"The Gasworks ROCKED!" Got that right, "no blood, no fun!" Spent many a messed up night there before it was renovated into a joke.

El Mocambo, Grossmans, Brunswick, Lees Palace, The Warehouse, George's Spaghetti House and on and on, so many great places for music in Toronto and so many great artists like Jeff Healy.

L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Man, you are almost making me homesick for TO. I loved a little bar at Front Street and Church called C'est What. A little basement place in a centruy building that featured local musicians on the weekends. It had fat overstuffed couches, stacks of games and book and the best shepherds pie I have ever eaten. The Rotterdam and the Amsterdam for Sunday brunch were fun too. They had something like 300 beers to choose from.

Ya, renovating the Gasworks was a joke. I lived at Church and Wellesley and went there about 4 nights a week to hang and have a glass. The carpet was so terrible your feet could stick to the floor if you stood in one spot too long, lol.

There was also Cafe New Orlean's acrossed the street and some yuppie place that started with a "V".

Any of you guys from TO remember the Old Massey Hall?

What a great venue: On the first Genesis tour of the US in 1972 we played there, and opened for Lou Reed, an interesting mix!

His (Reeds) sound truck had crashed on the way there, and at about 5.00pm it was decided we needed to set up our sound and lighting equipment if the show was to happen. Despite the audience being let into the theatre, are heckling the road crew of this unknown English band as we delayed things with a very abbreviated sound check and lighting focus; the band kicked a** that night, and became one of the biggest selling acts in Canada for many years afterwards.

I loved old Massey Hall, as it was so much more intimate than many of the mega stadiums and arenas, and did shows there with Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and several others before it was replaced by the new venue.

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
S
S
Another great place to see a show in Toronto! What was the band?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.