Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
S
S
How high is the risk of more injury or death if you put them back in a boat out to sea? Better off just to forget to lock the doors of the cells they are in and let them wander off quietly if AC can support them financially. I don't agree with sending them back but a plan needs to be made to get them settled so it does not make for an economic issue for belize or for the refugees.

Somehow I knew that this incident of the Cuban Boat people would wind up being the Fault of the U.S. I mean heck, aren't we the cause of everything wrong in the world?
It was inevitable that some one with their personal axe to grind would find some way to lay blame on the U.S. that these people landed on their shores. Whereas, if they had headed North instead of west and landed on U.S. soil this whole deportation issue would be a mute point. They would have been welcomed into the substantial Cuban Community in South Florida, and 1 year from now they would be shop owners and thriving instead of being " Shoved" back out to sea in a suspect seaworthy craft.

Yep, we crass bastards in the U.S. should be scorned for all the humanitarian things we do day in, day out , year in , year out.

It's our fault that a communist regime set its self up 90 miles form our shore , and we refuse to deal with the Dictator economically.However, still render humanitarian aid to the populace.

As Far as leaving Friends, Family, and country !!! Thats been going on since 1620 and the ironic part of it all is the people who did this were fleeing Persecution, and poverty. The Irish, The Italians, The Jews, the Poles , The swedes, etc. But then again that was probably our fault too.

S
S
PRESS OFFICE
GOVERNMENT OF BELIZE
Ministry of Finance
Cabinet Meeting: 4th March, 2008
Belmopan - 05 March, 2008
Cabinet met in regular session on Tuesday, March 4th, 2008.
Ministers were briefed on the situation of 17 Cuban nationals who came ashore at Ambergris Caye. The Cubans informed Belizean authorities that they thought they had come ashore on the coast of the Republic of Honduras. Cabinet was informed that the occupants of the boat are detained at Price Barracks, Ladyville, while the BDF repairs the boat. When the repairs are completed the Cuban nationals will leave Belize.

I'm going to take some deep breaths then go take some photos of birds i saw earlier on the Beach.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
while riding a destroyer in the south china sea in the early '70s, twice we steamed up on vietnamese boat people.
the first boat we picked up and took to Guam.
the second time, we were told to leave them and continue whatever we were doing.
we lowered down food, water, and medical supplies.
the look on these peoples faces when they realized we were leaving will stick with all of us on that ship.
i often wonder how they made out.

S
S
How foolish when facts are ignored or forgotten. The Embargo was set up because Castro took property away from US Corporations whom obtained the land through the corrupt Bautista regime. Hmmm.... kinda sounds like the modern day "Quitar" in Belize (on a smaller scale). Cuba was forced to look for a USSR bail out. FYI: The blockade prevents others to trade with Cuba as well.

Stupidly, the US helped Castro all these years (pissing contest), with keeping the embargo in the strongest of health. Castro needs/needed the Embargo to stay alive!

Chris Dodd has a good viewpoint on it.

By CHRISTOPHER DODD
www.dodd.senate.gov

''If it were up to me, I would lift the embargo against Cuba the next day, and it would end your regime in three months,'' José María Aznar, the former Spanish prime minister, reported saying in a 1998 meeting with Fidel Castro.

Castro's response: ``I need the embargo, for this generation and the next.''

Telling words from a self-proclaimed hero of the people -- ''I need the embargo.'' The same embargo that was starving Cubans for decades was indispensable to their dictator. Castro was shrewd: He knew that isolation tightened his grip on Cuba and that America made an outstanding scapegoat for the failure of his revolution. In many ways, our misguided policies were responsible for his unnaturally long hold on power. In many ways, the embargo was Castro's best friend.

Last month, old age and illness did what our best efforts never could -- remove Castro from power. Today, we have an unprecedented opportunity, and a small window of time, to begin pushing Cuba toward democracy. But amazingly, the Bush administration is clinging to a 46-year-old policy of failure.

The reaction we have seen from the administration shows how deeply our foreign policy is trapped in rigid ideology. Any pragmatic case for continuing the embargo has been thoroughly undermined. It keeps families apart. It restricts the access of our farmers to Cuban markets.

And as Cuba strengthens its trade relationships, the economic impact of our embargo is progressively weakened. Even its moral symbolism verges on nonexistent: How can we swear off Cuba with a straight face, when we freely trade with countries that routinely violate human rights, such as Saudi Arabia and China?

We engage in trade with these nations not just to strengthen our economy, but because we have faith in the transformative power of American values and American culture carried by American trade. Of course, we don't expect that open markets will lead to open societies overnight, but some countries are riper for the transition than others. Cuba is one such country. Its rising generation of leaders, while still part of an authoritarian system, is markedly more comfortable on the world stage and less antagonistic to America than the declining generation represented by Castro.

The question is whether we will antagonize these new leaders -- or whether we will work with them to end political repression, protect civil society and establish free markets. If we choose the latter, wiser course, the last five decades will hold an unmistakable lesson: With Cuba, isolation doesn't work. We should now take several strong steps to secure our role in Cuba's transition -- or risk sitting on the sidelines for another 50 years.

We should:

� Act decisively to end trade sanctions. This means repealing the ill-conceived Helms-Burton and Cuba Democracy Acts, as well as amending the Trade Sanctions Reform Act. With the embargo lifted, our businesses will have access to Cuban markets, our struggling farmers will find more buyers for their crops, and Cuba will gain extensive exposure to American culture.

� Break down the artificial barriers keeping Cuban Americans apart from their families in Cuba. Lifting caps on remittances and travel restrictions will speed the influx of democratic values -- and reduce an unnecessary hardship on Americans who want merely to assist their families overseas. Currently, the mail doesn't even travel regularly between the United States and Cuba, let alone passengers. As we lift travel restrictions, we should also begin negotiating regularly scheduled flights.

� Open an American embassy in Havana. If we want any influence over Cuba during this crucial time, we must practice robust diplomacy. There's no better way to do that than having skilled diplomats pressing our interests in Havana, at all times and in person.

Ending sanctions, connecting families and strengthening diplomacy -- this new policy of Cuban engagement is the most constructive response to Castro's demise. Some in the Bush administration might call such a policy ''soft'' -- but that represents the same mind-set that thought we could bomb our way to democracy in the Middle East.

For far too long, American isolation has cemented a Cuban dictatorship. Today, that dictatorship may finally be starting to crack; how we seize this opportunity will determine whether it crumbles.

U.S. Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., is a senior member of the Foreign Relations Committee and chairman of the subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere.

While the other 9/10th's of the World are against such a thing, who seems crass?

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
S
S
These folks don't seem like they are "shop owners" at all?

(AP) Relatives of 11 Cubans found at sea in a vintage car converted into a boat awaited word on their fate Thursday, as Cuban-American leaders urged the U.S. government not to send the group back to their homeland.

While the U.S. Coast Guard won't comment on interdictions, Cuban exile activists say the group found Tuesday on a seagoing 1950s-era Buick were still being held at sea until a decision was made on whether to send them home.

The group, discovered 10 miles from Marathon in the Florida Keys, faces a likely return to Cuba under U.S. immigration policy.

After the Cubans were found, the Coast Guard sank the vessel, said Alex Cruz, a spokesman for U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. The Republican congresswoman, a Cuban exile, requested on Wednesday that the vessel be saved as a piece of history.

The Coast Guard, which used machine gun fire to sink another vehicle-powered barge that tried to reach U.S. shores in July, refused Thursday to confirm the status of the tail-finned Buick.

(CNN) -- With the U.S. Coast Guard under fire for using water hoses and pepper spray to prevent half a dozen Cuban refugees aboard a 12-foot boat from reaching U.S. soil in South Florida.

S
S
I hope we can agree that whoever made this boat should be free!

I want one of these:
[Linked Image]

Oh
You forgot to mention Sen Chris Dodd is a flaming NE liberal who would sell his mother to undermine any Conservative based US policies.
Post some more of his nonsense, he's always "fun"!

Damn...........got to agree with you on that one laugh

What a bunch of drivel. If 9/10ths of the world thinks the U.S. should eradicate its own armed forces, should it follow that majority opinion? How about if 9/10ths of the world thinks the US should give all of its resources to 9/10ths of the world and just fold up shop?

If I had a beer for every beer I've had...
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.