Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Coming from the US a good stopping point would be Isla Mujeres in Mexico. i am not a boater, but I am pretty sure they have a marina where you could stop a day or two and re-fuel.I see plenty of boats in the harbor your size.
here are a few links to websites, and I am sure you can find a site that is more marina-specific.

link:http://www.myislamujeres.com/communicating/open_forum.asp

link:http://www.isla-mujeres.net/home.htm

The first site has a q and a board similar to this one. For more info you could e-mail the owner of JAX, a bar/restaurant advertised on the sites. Jackie is the owner , and her husband operates a deep sea fishing charter out of the marina.

JZB Offline
I've seen 60' single hull boats at the Belize Yacht Club. Send them an email. I'm sure it won't be a problem docking there.

JZB #270689 03/07/08 09:52 AM
I
Istaboa Offline OP
OP Offline
I
All of this is really good info.
Yes, I looked on the charts and it shows skinny water once inside the reef. And yes we always use a pilot when available to quide us through unmarked areas. They never cost much and are always helpful with many things. The Devils Backbone in Eluthera, Bahamas has ruined the days of many a macho captains without pilots.
I talked with Damien at the yachtclub and he thought we could get in but on a high tide.

Our float plan is to leave Mobile... run 550 miles to Isla Mjueres, wait a few days... go see friends at Playa del Carmen... then work our way down to AC.
Any thoughts on stops, safe anchorages?
This year we will probably turn around at AC and start working back home. Insurance man wants us back inland US before end of June.
thanks again for all the help.
bt

Istaboa,

Have you considered Caye Chapel? They have a deep water harbor, and would be able to provide you with GPS waypoints, but you'd then need to use your tender or the water taxi to visit Ambergris or Caye Caulker.

www.cayechapel.com

There are also some deeper water moorings in the south, so I would advise buying the right Chart for your GPS and looking carefully for an 8'+ channel to areas that interest you?

The good news is that once you arrive, there will no doubt be many options for picking you up in smaller boats to dive, fish, snorkel of sightsee, in return for a ride on your fine vessel!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
With a draft of no more than 7' you should have no real problems getting to a berth at BYC, and certainly no problems once there. You'll need expert guidance to come through the reef and get to BYC though, preferably with a local pilot on board. Radios aren't used much here, but there should probably be someone listening on channel 16. If you establish contact you will need them to phone BYC (226-2777) to announce your arrival. BYC may have a handheld radio for dock staff to use (but don't rely on it), but they certainly don't have a boat to meet you or a pilot you can use.

I used to run a diveshop on the dock of BYC and had a high powered radio and often helped incoming vessels, including going out to guide them in. That stopped when BYC staff broke down the antenna and cut off the electricity. They now have no radio service. The dock was sold and the new owners have extensively dredged, but don't expect any of the usual marina facilities. You CAN dock there, but I recommend you try to find somewhere a bit more welcoming!

One other thing. Don't expect or try to fuel up in San Pedro, as the only fuel station has shallow water and you won't be able to get in there on any tide. if you do need fuel you'll have to tender it in drums, which is hard work, dirty and very slow. I don't know about fuel at Caye Chapel. Better to top up in Mexico on the way down - Isla Mujeres is a world-class marina. There used to be a fuel station at BYC which of course was very convenient, but the present owners closed it. They really do believe in looking after their marina guests!

Before you plan on staying at BYC, look up their marina charges on their website. Most people take one look and go elsewhere.

Just spotted you have been given advice by BYC. Beware that the person giving advice may not know the first thing about boats and will say whatever is needed to encourage you to come. Two boats so encouraged have to my certain knowledge run aground and sustained severe damage to props/rudder.

#270720 03/07/08 11:49 AM
I
Istaboa Offline OP
OP Offline
I
More good info... I looked at the Caye Chaple site and saw a pic of the Marina but no info about it.
Pedro2, What other marinas are in the area that we could use? Maybe just drop a hook would be better but we have a dog who really enjoys Terra Firma.

Agree with govikes. Must know the reef only a few cuts to cross through many miles to get stuck on, and no coastgaurd as in the USA. Marty provides some great maps for youto geat an idea
//ambergriscaye.com/maps/index.html
I have seen a new cat crash onto the reef, no machines to rescue it, the wife stayed on board to prevent theft while the husband when on shore to take care of business. But the boat got stripped by thieves and salvaged finally. The couple went home.
Get a local captain to guide you in & show you tricky areas - like tres cocos! The current & weather have much to do with how to approach & where. There was even a wreck at the cut!
Belize it!

S
S

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I can't advise you on Caye Chapel but if I were you I would contact them via their website. I believe they're helpful. Of course, that island is dedicated to the golf course that occupies it all, and you'll probably identify more with them if you want to play a round or two!

Other than BYC there are no other marinas in San Pedro, nor is there any other dock you'll be able to get in to. There isn't one at Caye Caulker, and you've already been told about Cucumber Beach Marina just south of Belize City. But there are lots of places just off San Pedro you can safely navigate to (with help) and drop anchor. Won't help the pooch, but you can tender in and tie up in lots of docks, so long as you don't stay there overnight. You can easily tender fresh water and supplies, though obviously you'll need suitable containers. You must be careful where you take the big boat to, as there are many areas inside the barrier reef with insufficient draft.

#270767 03/07/08 01:50 PM
The Jimmy Buffet Boat anchors out in the water but inside the reef -safer from thieves & just a dinghy in to shore!
Cruise ships had to stay outside and ship people in.
Belize it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.