Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
D
Viva the Cuban 17

Pug, I didn't know you were short on validation. wink

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
S
S
I tol ju we needed directions!

[Linked Image]

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
At least the "TruckBoat" seems to have running lights, More than I can say about a lot of boats passing our place at night here in belize this week.

I saw a couple of cruse ships going by San Pedro the other night, I sure would not want to be in any of those Cuban boats with that kind of traffic out there.

S
S
The cruise ships are equipped with excellent radar so can see everything around them.

A tiny boat like the one's that have landed here on the Island may not be picked up by a ship's radar in the open sea during a storm or very ruff seas,(seems like they experanced both). I also asume that the Cubans most likley did not have any VHF radio or any other way to comunicate with ocean going ships either. Not such a great position to be in for them, But they survived. Does anyone have an update on their situation? Did their boat get fixed yet?

Their boat ain't gonna get fixed. I so hope those folks who accidentally washed upon the shores of north AC aren't incarcerated in the hell hole a/k/a Hattieville prison. I'm with Elbert, shine the light on this. These people were inadvertently, beyone their control, washed ashore to Belize territory, when their INTENT was to land on US shores in FLA. Is there anything in the maritime law that provides for intent as to landing a vessel accidentally upon Belize territory?

D
D

Wanna talk about law? Who going to pay for the Cuban 17 to be represented? Who's going protect their interests and maintain confidentiality? Maybe they didn't intend to land on US shores.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I can understand how they might have headed for Mexico and hit Belize instead, but going south to Belize when they thought they were going north or north-west for the USA is some seriously flawed navigation.

I still think they're being treated unnecessarily harshly though. There seems little dispute that they're political refugees. Even if Belize does have an agreement with Cuba you would have thought this little issue, very major for the people involved, could have been swept under the carpet. Heaven knows, enough else here is given the "blind eye" treatment.

D
D

P2, I think it's too late for that blind eye to see. Is there such a thing as a public defender in Belize? Do they have an advocate? Are they entitled to one?
This is turning out to be one of those stupid happenings where so much time is wasted for nothing.. What if Mr. Dogooder didn't get the law and the Cuban 17 just melted away into society. Raised their children, worked and made money and sent some home to help out. They are no different than Millions of others but they had the misfortune of running into "dogooder" or "wana be cop" who was only "doing the right thing" .

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.