Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Electric and phone got knocked out yesterday by someone burning down the pole supporting the transformer.
It didn't get burned by a brush fire accidentally involving the pole. I checked the pole myself and a fire was set around the base of the Pole. They chose a pole that was hidden from view of the Road. The Line men repairing agreed that it was a deliberate fire for the purpose of disabling the service. It knocked our electrical service to the Northern 3/4ths of the Island for 20 hours and telephone and internet for 26 hours.

P
P
For what purpose?

S
S
Since when does vandalism need a purpose?

P
P
Good point

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I was impressed at BEL working through the night in the rain. I wouldn't trod around in the swamp, climb a phone pole in the dark, in a rain storm to play with electric wires for any amount of overtime pay.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Did any major theft occur during the time of the outage? Not to give the the saboteurs too much credit - but this might have just been a diversion. Where exactly did this occur?

Last edited by KnckrBckrNYC; 03/10/08 02:12 PM.
Not aware of any majore crime spree during the outages, but if somebody knows otherwise please let us know.

The poles were in the White Sands / El Pescador area.

Digicel towers were down, but the 610 cellulars worked.
Also working - fixed cels from BTL --- if you had a generator to power them up.

Backup generators are pretty essential elements for daily life whether for full time or rental.

I agree on backup generators, and we have one too, but the telephone systems come with backup batteries from BTL (that's why you're paying rent for the equipment). Our backup batteries have not been working for at least 3 years, we have reported it over and over again, but we keep getting excuses until you just give up.

Aarrgghh.
Jan

On another note, I hear that BTL is now blocking our VPNS I havent tried mine yet, because it's such a hassle, but wonder if anyone else has had trouble...

Change your Latitude

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.