Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#271380 03/11/08 11:24 AM
OP Offline
The letter to the editor in the Daily really poured it on for the trash in town. Can't really say I blame her for the harsh words, because I feel about the same way. I think I'm pretty much a "frequent visitor" (6 times last year&2 so far this year)to San Pedro, and each time the trash problem seems to be about the same with little change or improvement. Maybe the ol' girl was right,, a little civic pride among the business folks on main street and another trash truck probably would go a long way toward solving the problem. Do the infrastructure problems boil down to a tax collection problem?

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
A
A
Speaking as someone that lives on the southside of the island, the litter problem is bad and getting worse by the day. Where to start? One of the issues is the total lack of any type of suitable trash bin. Although many business people have asked for the ability to buy larger plastic trash barrels I still know of no source on the island. At one point I believe the Town Board was studying the issue but nothing happened. We are left to bag trash in garbage bags and hope the island critters leave them be until the garbage truck comes by. The guys that run the trash trucks give it their all. They are on the road from before sun up to way past sun down doing the best they can. Problem is with so few trucks available, the trash bags are stacked to the moon and as the trucks hit the zillion potholes in route to the dump, bags fall off and the contents are left to blow in the breeze. Perhaps a town pickup truck should make the drive from town to the dump at least once a day to collect the fallen debris. I would guess that from the Watertower to the dump, there is a piece of garbage every foot or so. Many of us on the south side have had trash collection days only to find more garbage on the road before the busting full sacks of trash we have collected can find their way to the dump. It is most discouraging. It almost gets to the point you just turn a blind eye and become numb to the issue. The problem is made worse by several condo projects that use the lot across the street from them as a dump instead of hauling off their refuse. Construction sites add to the problem with everything from construction debris, plastic water bags and styro lunch containers covering the area.

Solutions???? It will obviously take continuous effort from everyone that lives on and loves Ambergris Caye. The anti-litter campaign of last Fall is long forgotten. Wonder how many litter citations were issued? Heck, if tickets were issued there would be enough money to buy dozens of trash trucks.

Perhaps our new Minister of Tourism, Mr. Heredia, can get everyone together to craft a solution. It truly is a tourism problem because In talking to the many tourists on the island, they are truly appalled and can not understand how such a jewel can be left in such a state. Also, with a faltering US economy, sooner or later tourists will turn to other Caribbean destinations that appear to have more pride in their country. I am afraid that until the government gets serious about the problem, nothing will happen. It will take a lot more than the interest of business people and a new trash truck to solve the problem. I know there are many business people and residents alike that are anxious to help and hope a solution is near at hand.

What is really needed is a concerted, determined and on-going education program. Start with the children and then work on the adults.

I've had many experiences where locals were throwing their garbage on the road or the beach. My protests were most often met with derision. In one instance, the response was "what's the big deal? Look at all the trash that's already there?" In another instance, the reaction was less nice than that. It was more along the lines of how a tourist shouldn't be telling a local "Don't throw that there.", as it is "none of my business".

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
B
This was the most disappointing part of my vacation there. I felt like there aren't nearly enough public trash receptacles & the few I saw were overflowing. I also witnessed a lot of people simply tossing aside wrappers & cups, it's disgusting.

C
C
This post is quite disturbing. My wife and I were planning on coming to AC for the first time in July. We have put down a deposit at the White Sands Cove resort. But now, after hearing about the litter problem on the island, the last thing we want to do is come to an island that cannot control its trash.

I'm very close to canceling and looking elsewhere...how sad. AC sounded like a perfect place for us 30 somethings. frown

A
AlJ Offline
A
Cuueball

It probably still is a good place for you. We were there in February and had a good time. If you want to see our recent pictures, click on the link below to my pictures. From there, pick San Pedro 2008.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I don't question the problem but don't think it will ruin your trip.

Your call, obviously, since I don't know what your expectations are.

We were in AC from Feb2 - 17th and this was the worst I have ever seen the trash in town. We stay at Captain Morgan's and when we came into town on our golf cart we were greeted with what looked like an explosion of trash once we crossed the cut. With all the new building going up and more and more people coming it will just be a matter of time before things will get really, really, bad. It is a turn off.

We love AC and have been coming for 5 years but each year it just seems that paradise is turning into a big pile of trash.

I totally agree that an exrra trash truck won't solve the problem. The government needs to step in and take an active role in finding a good solution to this problem. The trahs is going to breed disease and then no one will want to come. If the peopel take pride in their island they need to show it. Educate the children and the people to be responsible.

We love AC and the people and want to keep coming.

There was a concerted effort to have the main roads paved. Maybe such an effort would convince the GOB to do something about the garbage problem. The GOB has to understand that AC is the goose that continues to lay the golden egg......without the $$$$ that AC contributes to the country's economy they would be a lot worse of then they are now. Of course the GOB has shot itself in the foot so many times that they have no feet to stand on.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
There is no need to cancel your trip. Go and have a wonderful time!

C
C
Cueball, don't let this thread scare you. AC is a beautiful place that has issues just like any other place. I've traveled extensively and don't think that AC is much worse than other places I've been (as well as I have seen worse). They definitely need a new gargage system, hence a "Letter to the Editor" has obviously started a new dialogue,this alone won't get the government in gear but it could be a beginning.

Live Laugh Love
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.