Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#271313 03/11/08 08:32 AM
B
Betsy G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi!
My husband and I are considering relocating to Caye Caulker from the U.S. We are wondering if there is an independent school in the area? If not, we were wondering if there might be any interest in us opening a small school or homeschool group? I am a certified teacher and we have 2 daughters that we would be teaching. Just curious. It is something we have been considering for some time.

Betsy

D
D
There is a primary school here on the island and the only one too besides 2 kindergarten school..

B
Betsy G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So there is no school for children who are 10/12 and up?

G
G
Betsy I could be wrong but I think when a child reaches High School age they further their education in Belize City. Maybe they go to San Pedro to finish up. I will look into it for you if no one responds to your post in the next day or two.

Last edited by Girlie girl 101; 03/13/08 06:37 AM.
S
S
They generally go to San Pedro HS.

H
hjl Offline
H
The best Education for life, children will get to the largest extent outside from schools.

hjl #272080 03/13/08 12:27 PM
C
C
There is a high school opening up here, not the one that tried to open , the Church One that was built back by the airport, and I dont have all the particulars just was told about it by one of the women that will be teaching at it, it will be a private school which means most the kids here wont be able to afford it, yet its still a great thing. Opening up a school is very difficult I hear..the new school buiding sits empty, it was going to be free for about 10 to 15 kids here, info I got was the Government would not allow the Church to use its own teachers etc etc.I do believe its still a work in progress.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
D
D
all kids that graduate from the primary school here either goes to San Pedro or to Belize City for high school.

C
C
I dont believe all kids that graduate from primary school go on to ANY school. I think the water taxi does give them a discount so they pay either $10 or $15 BZE RT each, which is prohibitive to alot of families, especially families with 2 or 3 children close in age, $40 a day!!!!! Some families are lucky and get sponsors, and although I do not have updated numbers I am sure some are not so lucky....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
G
G
Hi Cooper!
All that you are saying is very interesting. I always wondered about this situation, since I was aware that the older kids had to commute to another island/city to further their education.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day