Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Its always made me mad with a country with such a high drug, hiv problem...I have my venues and spend alot of hours raising money for this and that, the education problem is just...oh well I guess I will just say it and get ready for the feed back..A STUPID GOVERNMENT.... Every educated child will help with the healthy progression of this beautiful country..... every educated child is less apt to get aids, to get pregnant, more apt to bring revenue to the country...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Hi! Betsy, I'm a single mother of 2 girls in school age, and they travel everyday to San Pedro Island for High School, and the next one to Belize City. 1 in High School and the next one in college. Caye Caulker Water Taxi give students a special rate to go either way San Pedro or Belize City. Students rate to San
Pedro is $10.00Bze round trip, and to Belize City is $15/00Bze., plus to that you have to add lunch money too and passage from water taxi terminal to the school.
It's really expensive education here, and as a mother of 2 student i take this opportunity to thanks CAYE CAULKER WATER TAXI ASSOCIATION to give us this special rates for our children and their education, even knowing that there's many other children and parents that cannot afford to send their kids to farther education.Once again THANK YOU!!CAYE CAULKER WATER TAXI ASSOCIATION.

Cayestar
C
C
I know running the water taxis here is very expensive, with the price of gas , upkeep of the boats, salery.etc. High season when the boats are always full is relatively short, yet they maintain the same schedule year round, in Sept , Oct I have been on the boats with only a handfull of people, I was by no means saying anything bad about the water taxi association...But dont you think the Government could subsidize the families that cant afford 10 or 15 dollars???? Do they not get it or what????

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
C
C
I know of one person who is actively homeschooling her two children but don't know if she would be interested or not. Several years ago, when my daughter was younger there were several parents who were interesting in homeschooling but it seemed too difficult/expensive to set up at the time for the few of us interested, as non of us were able teach. I think if something was started there may be some others who would be happy for the alternative.
The current public school goes to grade 8, called standard 6 here, and the students leave the island for further schooling. There is an effort underway to start a new high school this September that is looking like it may actually happen. If I understood the tuition correctly it is not cost prohibitive especially when considering that the cost of water taxi would be eliminated. Classes at this school are inteneded to be small in size, 10 to 15 per class. For more information you may contact me at [email protected]

G
G
CayeBoard, This is great news. I am very interested and will contact you. Also, I will be there in June so that we can discuss raising money for other things that will benefit the school.

S
S
Unfortunately, if the government subsidized the water taxi they would have to subsidize all of the kids from the villages on the mainland who have to pay room and board to be able to attend high school.

B
Betsy G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry,
I was super busy for a few days. Thanks for all the discussion. If we were to come it would likely be with 2 girls about 10-12 or 11-13 in tow. We would probably teach them ourselves, but since we are capable of teaching others, (thats what we do) these replies have been very helpful.. It was also something we really needed to know in the decision making process of coming to Belize. Our youngest daughter is bipolar, and part of the reason we are looking to leave the US. She needs a slower, calmer, and more non traditional lifestyle. I don't think we would consider sending her to San Pedro on a regualr basis, it would just be too unpredictable for us. Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

We have homeschooled here in Belize for many years. Understand that curriculum is very hard to get here. Plan on bringing all you need from the US and make sure you have ways to get new curriculum brought/shipped to you. Just a suggestion.

B
Betsy G Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I had imagined that homeschooling had been going on for quite sometime in Belize. If we were to do this we would bring quite a lot of things with us. We are also lucky enough to have parents (one of whom is also a teacher) who would be able to send us/bring us further materials. I think that educationally we are feeling okay about coming to Belize. It may be that pesky problem of employment that slows us down. Thanks

Actually there is very little homeschooling going on here. Also when you come, if you homeschool your children you will not get the reduction in monthly visa fee renewal, which you get if your children are enrolled in a public or private school. With our 3 kids that was an additional 75 Bze dollars for the first 6 months/month and 150Bze for the next 6 months/month.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day