Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JZB #272646 03/16/08 02:39 PM
that is interesting, why not approach them? but i think the problem at least for SP's stuff is getting it there (or them being willing to pay to get it there) - too much $$

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
dabunk #272683 03/16/08 06:48 PM
The trick is to make the trash a resource to be used for a good safe purpose. Recycling is NOT an option for now. Soda & beer bottles are re-used. We finally send batteries to Guatemala to be recycled.

Barges are privately owned, and will not carry trash to the mainland unless it is for a price. Then the trash will just go to the dump there.

I can fill you in on our past efforts that haven't worked (as least yet):

1- Acquiring environmentally safe incinerators.

2- Getting an incinerator that produced electricity.

3- Crusher for glass to reuse in concrete.

4- Plastic shredder that "baled" plastic into 2x2 usable blocks.

5- Trying to impose a "recycling" deposit on batteries purchased.

6- Trying to get battery suppliers to offer a used battery return program.

7- Trying to create a dumpsite up North on Town land that could later be used for a park.

8- Trying to create a "dumpsite" for just seaweed that the town picks up to create a large park area near the old soccer field in the middle of town.

9- We did have "separator" trash bins for glass, plastic, etc for recycling, but no place for them to go. Town just emptied them all at the dump.

10- Tried to find a Belizean who would be interested in collecting batteries to make lead scuba and fishing weights. Even had the molds, and a way to reuse the acid. No luck there either.

11- One idea was to make an artifical reef in the bay like they did in Key West from the appropriate car & golfcart bodies, refrigerators, and washing machines. In Key West it is an incredible place to snorkel & fish. During rough seas in the front it would be a nice alternative.

12- Tried to see if the local judge would consider "public service" as an alternative sentence to some crimes. Or that "prisoners" could be taken out for fresh air and walk the beach picking up trash.

Would love NEW suggestions...or help with old ones.
Tom
[email protected]

Last edited by dolphin; 03/17/08 04:59 PM.
i will let you know if i can find out anything of interest - i have made some requests for help from people in the field - also i see that in barbados local people are making $$ doing some recycling it seems . . .

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
The GOB should start an inmate work program. There are MANY jobs, trash pick up included, that could be done by low risk inmates.

reaper #272827 03/17/08 05:01 PM
Thank you reaper. I had forgotten that suggestion and added it above. Tom

Also...a FINE option program....work off your fines...especially LITTERING fines!

I found this thread during a search. In this thread there are many ideas regarding what to do with the trash on the island.

I have to agree that on my trips to AC there is a lot for SP to be proud of, however the trash situation does need work. It was good to read what people have done and what avenues had been explored.

My questions at this point are: what remedies are currently working? Has recycling/composting/repurposing become a viable alternative for the island? And finally, what can I do when I am on the island to help in this area.

It's great to be .....

I agree with Tom. Recycling is great but it is getting the horse in front of the cart. Pick up and disposal should be the foremost issue. I have indicated on other threads how disappointed we were at the way the island was treated with regard to trash. And the problem was worse in the off-beaten areas where the locals lived.
I am fine with picking up trash on morning walks down the beach, but discovered on my first morning I had no where to put it. Every small trash container I passed was overflowing and had trash on the ground around it. I could not bring myself to add to it so I ended up carrying it back to my resort. Discouraging to say the least. It also affects the way visitors view the island and may influence their future plans.
Burning is so caveman and we witnessed a burn day firsthand while visiting. Not a pretty site, but it was getting rid of trash!
I love the idea of inmate work details. It is a win win. The inmates get to work off their fines, they get outdoor activities (which it has been proven to improve attitude and moral), it is a deterent to those witnessing the inmates working and the island gets cleaned.
I am glad to see more interest in this area, as it was the only bad thing I have had to comment about after our innaugural visit.
We meet many genuine people on our visit and I am confident you will work together to form a solution and tackle this issue. Put your thoughts into action. See you all next trip.

Play, Love, Share and Enjoy - it doesn't last forever make sure you get the most out of it.
P
P
To be fair, trash is a major problem in many countries without the physical (environmental) limitations of AC.

Yes but if people at the town council would get serious about it and start issuing littering tickets as they are supposed to do then there would be less garbage around town.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.