Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 31 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 30 31
Originally Posted by seashell
Canuk-Diver said: "I won't be doing the Blue Hole dive, but I'm told the remainder of the atolls are a 'must'."

From what I've been told and read, the dive is 130+ feet and the only things to see are lifeless stalagtites and maybe a few sharks. Every single dive buddy I know that has gone to Belize and has done the Blue Hole has told me it's a waste of time, and that the REAL treasures are the rest of the dives around the atolls.

At 130+ feet, your bottom time is only 5 minutes. If you're diving a 32% nitrox mix, you get 15 minutes, but youre PO2 is 1.58 (ie; fatal), hence not an option. Not to mention the possibility of being narced, although, some people actually like that. laugh

So, with that said, a dive to 130+ feet with a bottom time of 5 minutes to see some stalagtites and maybe a few sharks really doesn't interest me.

I'd much rather spend my time on a wall dive, shallow wreck, or spur and groove with beautiful coral and sponges, a variety of reef dwellers, the possibility of still seeing a shark, and running a bottom time of 40-50 minutes on a mix of EAN32 at a max depth of approximately 75-86 feet, while still maintaining a low PO2 level.

If I'm going to blow 200+ dollars on a 2 hour boat ride to somewhere, I want to make the most of my dives.

Of course, this is only my opinion. wink

Peter and I are not discussing Lighthouse Atoll as a destination that I'd like to visit. I'm actually trying to set up for Glovers and/or Turneffe. Nothing has been officially arranged or discussed in great detail yet between us.

May I ask why you recommend the Blue Hole? Perhaps you might be able to change my opinion and show me that I'm missing out on something. I'm always ready to listen and learn.

smile

It will be hard for me to change the mind of someone that believes it to be too deep and short a dive to look at a few stalactites and a number of sharks.

However, if you do a search on my nickname with the keyword Blue Hole, I believe you will find a font of info that I may not be able to successfully recreate here. Be sure to put in a long time limit for capture of my posts. smile

I've been in the Blue Hole a number of times, and even though everytime I come out of it, I'm saying "Again, again, I want to do it again!", I could probably forego it anyway, just to be able to do a third dive on Halfmoon Caye Wall or Lighthouse Wall. Unfortunately, there's no day trip offering that.

I've been on the Turneffe day trip a number of times, and comparitively have truly enjoyed it only half the time.

There's just something so special about the Blue Hole day trip, most especially if you get good weather for it. It's not just the Blue Hole, which I still love to do, it's lunch on Halfmoon Caye, Halfmoon Caye itself and the two followup dives are just fabulous, especially when the viz is just right. For example, as you drop down at Halfmoon Caye Wall, there's a large patch of white sand below and you can see the multiple criss-crossing tracks made by the conchshells. At that point, the quality of the water color can not be described (by me anyway). Once the group is assembled, you will head towards the wall. The divers, one by one, slip through a break in the coral heads, and suddenly, there you are out over the wall, looking out and down at the blue. I've had some magnificent dives on that wall, including a solitary experience with a single spotted eagle ray. We bonded and swam together for quite some time. Of course, I got heck later from the DM for not staying within sight of the group, but I wouldn't have given up that experience for anything.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

HB...I hope all goes well with your wife. Spent the last two years helping my best friend go thru it. Tell her she will be in my thoughts Thursday.

On a lighter note. We're out of here sunrise on Sunday. YEAH

FISH ON Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok nug just rub it in!!!We still have 12 days and 11 of which i'm working! I hope you and your hub will join AZ and crew as well as me and my darling for cocktails Monday the 31st. at crazy conuks around 6 pm.

We'll be there. Let's get this party started!!!!!!!!

seashell, I'll definitely do your search on the blue hole.

It sounds like you enjoy the type of diving that I also enjoy the most.... wall and spur & groove.

Regardless of where I go, I really look forwad to the diving in Belize. cool

No worries Fish On!! We're right with you! We drive out to Minneapolis on Friday (next week), and fly out on Saturday!

A
AZW Offline
A
Just for a 'warm up" before the real thing (April Crawl) the next day, right?! "Moderation" is the by-word, right? RIIIIIGHHT!!!

AZ Wayne

Getting closer to posting locations I promise. Have a couple yet to confirm.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I love it all Canuk-Diver . . give me a wall, spur and groove, bommies, pinnacles, muck . . .

just so long as I can do it in a 3mm suit or less. wink

Last edited by seashell; 03/18/08 07:04 PM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Page 15 of 31 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.