Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#273106 03/19/08 12:45 AM
DonnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
While I was in SP a few weeks ago, I had a great tour guide. (not mentioning names LOL) anyhow, his cellphone was in dire disrepair. I was astonished to find that to replace it, it was an arm and a leg. I told him a had several cellphones that I had no need for and I would send him one when I returned home. They are compatable to BTL cell. Question: I have read on several posts that he would have to pay "duty" to pick it up at post office. Anyone know what the approximate cost would be? Its a USED cellphone with dings but still working. I dont want to send it if he cant afford to pick it up. I appreciate any help you may be able to give. OH..the alternative is to send Fedex or DHL? Or if someone is going to SP in the next two weeks or so that I can mail to them and they can play "carrier pidgeon" that would be great too.

Last edited by DonnaR; 03/19/08 12:47 AM.
Customs checks on FEDEX and DHL as well as postal. Best to have some one bring it.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Depends on who he knows at the post office, but normally that would be 33% over the new price. Don't Fed-Ex it, because then he has to pay more (duty is calculated over the price including shipping cost and their standpoint is that when it's Fed-Exed, it must be very valuable!). Best to find someone who is traveling into Belize, to bring it to him.

Live and let live
Short #273123 03/19/08 08:28 AM
C
C
If you don't have any offers before May, PM me and I'd be glad to help you out.

Live Laugh Love
Besides the duty on his end, it could cost you around 25-30 US to send it. Whenever shipping outside the US, anywhere, I always mark it as a gift and the value no more than $10US. It helps to avoid any hassles on the receivers end. Carrier pigeon is best if you can.

"All people smile in the same language"
I bought a used phone from ebay. I do not remember exactly what it cost me to pick up but I remember it being reasonable all things considered.

Post office hard to nail down it really does vary every time you go there.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

DonnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for all the great answers. Didnt think that simply sending a used cellphone to help someone out was going to be such an ordeal. GRRR
So..If anyone is willing to "carrier pidgeon" the cellphone to SP in the next week or two, please PM me and it would be greatly appreciated.

I also label as "used" or gift, with value under $15 US. Not much duty just a pick up. Fed Ex took days to reach San Pedro from Ohio. No Express about it even though you pay for express! I use US Post now.

C
C
DonnaR, have you had any luck yet?

Live Laugh Love
DonnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes thank you. Tacogirl got me in contact with Travelqueen who just so happens to live not far from me and she will be going to SP next Friday. Thank you all for your help. If I need something else "carrier pidgeoned" by the time you go I will definitely take you up on your offer. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.