Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#273818 03/23/08 08:46 AM
OP Offline
Two Tourist Police on bicycles went past our place yesterday. A man and a woman - clearly wearing tourist police outfits, and appearing to observe the surroundings as they passed. They looked up at our place and I waved and said "Hi and thanks for being here" - they said "HI and thanks for having us!"
It was pretty much the presence and attitude we've been asking for.

Thanks for posting that Diane.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #273844 03/23/08 11:05 AM
Would really like to see a few of these south of town. A couple of months ago, I called the police station to ask if the tourist police had a special number. The answer was No, they dont have a phone upstairs. I asked if I could come in to file a report with them right then and I was told that no one was in their office. I asked if I could come the following day, a Saturday, and was told that they work Monday through Friday from 9-5. Since you saw them yesterday, maybe that's no longer he case...I hope so.

Change your Latitude
shuffles #273868 03/23/08 03:52 PM
I saw them too and was very pleased. Sure beats the (also very nice, by the way) BDF people. Tourist police on bicycles just send a different and more positive signal than M-16 armed Jamaica-style military presence.

weile #273910 03/23/08 11:27 PM
During the 10 days we were in town with all of the jumpers the Tourism Police followed us around. They were polite, courteous and very wonderful to our group. They were in the landing area each day and kept an eye on us at the nightly parties. A number of my guests commented it was nice to have them there.

reaper #273916 03/24/08 12:39 AM
Seen them too, very friendly and good attitude.
Jan

Another sighting here - saw two tourism officers on a golf cart shaking down a suspicious character in the San Pedrito area. Very assuring to have them around.

I think we can do much better on the communications though - "they don't have a phone" is unacceptable to me.

OP Offline
Police in the field need radios not cellular phones.

Yes radios , and for a list of reasons.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #275603 04/07/08 08:43 AM
I had a problem last week with a "stalker" tourist. He kept after someone staying at our place, and I finally had to call the police. Since it was a tourist, I asked the tourism police to come and make a report. The person who answered the phone at the police station assured me that she would tell them when they returned. That's been five days ago and the guest and the stalker are long gone. There has to be some accountability here...in another instance, a few months ago, we had a guest wake us at midnight, reporting that his wife was ill and having seizures. We immediately called all of the "emergency" numbers listed everywhere, and there was not one answer. Our security guard went out and tracked down a local doctor, but by the time he returned to tell us, the wife was feeling better and did not want to go. Another reason for accountability. I'm going to do some research on this and report back.

It looks bad for our businesses when we can't deliver simple medical and police help. They tell two friends, who tell two friends, you know the routine.

Cindy

Change your Latitude
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.