Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#27480 09/21/00 02:20 PM
J
Jericco Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My husband is really, really psyched about moving to Ambergris but I am the one dragging my feet. While I absolutely loved the place for a vacation, living there might be another matter. So, with that in mind I have a few questions.

The Visitors Visa thingy....do you have to go to the mainland every 30 days to get it renewed?

Can I bring my pets with me. That should have been my first question because if I can't, then this whole subject is moot.

Are there any requirements about $. In order to live there, do you have to transfer a certain amount of funds into a Belizian bank?

Shipping furniture or buying new? I would love to hear from some of the ex-pats who now live there and learn from their experiences.

I have read horror stories about escrow closings. Is it really that difficult and time consuming?

This BTL thing is also concerning. I can't imagine being limited to 8 hours a month! My fingers go into shock at the mere suggestion!

And along that same avenue, is it difficult to order necessities, like books, on-line? Last time down there, we spent almost all of our time on the Catamaran we chartered but we did walk around SP...I don't remember seeing a book store.

Another question that just deals with our upcoming vacation. We are staying at Brianna's House and would love to fish. Is this possible from the shore? Or maybe near the Cut? Or do I forget the whole idea and buy from the local fishermen?

Thanks in advance to all of you who read this and answer.

Valerie
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Jericco (edited 09-21-2000).]

#27481 09/21/00 03:09 PM
Jericco I can simplify this, You and I need to trade husbands, I am ready to move to Belize, and he has all of your same concerns, and feelings.
Brianna's sound wonderful, it is a doll house right on the beach.
Fishing, you can not fish from the beach way to sallow, but at the end of a pier will work, if not buy.
My understanding, you can extend, right in San Pedro.
The funds, yes, I think $10,000 on deposit in a Belize Bank for extended stays.
Pets Yes, with proper health requirements, but do the airlines, take pets?
Good Moving!

Dare To Deviate
#27482 09/21/00 03:10 PM
Valerie...living here IS another matter.

If you don't have to work...it's much better..and a whole lot more fun!

You can get your passport stamped right here on the island....at the Town Board....first Wednesday of every month. You can also pay for 2 months at a time.

Yes, you can bring your pets. You need to have them certified with your veteranarian there. The Vet. will give you a certificate which then needs to be sent to the USDA in Miami...or the closest field office. The Vet will give you the address and phone#.
I paid a $16 US for my 2 cats..which the vet put on the same certificate. This will take a few weeks to complete so plan ahead.

You should know now, that pet food and supplies are expensive here...and not as readily available. A lot of people who have moved here have pets and they all seem happy and well adjusted.

I can't answer on the money issue....I came here as a dependent of a Belizean citizen so we were not required to do that.

You won't need as much furniture..but bring your favorite stuff. Good furniture is hard to come by here..and expensive. Remember too, if your going to live on the island...all weather stuff is great. If it has cushions, make sure they are washable.
If your mattress isn't quite up to par....invest in a good one before you come....also hard to find...and expensive.
A lot of people here don't use a box springs....the beds have like a platform...and then just the mattress.
If you are bringing a metal bed frame, spray it with a good coat f Rustoleum paint before you leave the states. all unprotected metal rusts here from the salt air.
Washer and dryer....a MUST!
Bring lots of tupperware or Rubbermaid containers...not only for the kitchen...but also those nice big ones for storage of household items. These are good to ship in too...so they are double duty!
Cookware....pots and pans!...outrageous here just for the cheap stuff. I have a set of Salad Master stainless steel in storage in the states that I would give my eye teeth for...LOL
I could probably go on forever in this deparment...so better email me...I'll give you the heads up on what to leave..and what to bring. [email protected]

Don't know anything about escrow closings.

BTL sucks....and I don't guess there is much we can do about that....just figure that into your monthly budget.

You can set up a mail forwarding service right here with a place called Express Lane.
Basically..you have your stuff forwarded or mailed to Express Lanes address in Houston and then they get it here..they worry with customs and duty for you. You pick up your mail at their office. Alot of people shop online and use this service. Of course, there is a monthly fee for this service and I can give you the rates by email.

I love Brianna's house....looks like a dollhouse.
You can fish at the cut at Boca Del Rio and from most of the piers.
a planned fishing trip with one of the local guides is nice too!

Hope this helps!

#27483 09/21/00 03:16 PM
J
Jericco Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Chloe and Sandshaker....thank you so much for the info. I just love the people on this board! Chloe....we can switch husbands but only if yours give a decent massage! I will wait if you need to train.....lol.

#27484 09/21/00 03:45 PM
No can do, if I could train him, he would not be up for trade. LOL His hands are very large, and he massages heavy, if you can get him to do it, for one minute tops. True!

Dare To Deviate
#27485 09/21/00 03:51 PM
J
Jericco Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Chloe....sorry to hear it....mine is an excellent massuese....therefore not willing to trade....lol. Big hands can do magic....mmmmmm. Creak, pop and muscle release!

#27486 09/21/00 04:02 PM
Husband just said, send picture and be willing to locate to S. Texas, and he will train to massage, for a younger wife, but will not move to Maine. Boy did he laugh when I told him, I have put him on the block to be traded, as he picked up his BOOM box and headed for the pool.

Dare To Deviate
#27487 09/21/00 04:05 PM
J
Jericco Offline OP
OP Offline
J
chloe....LOL....your's might have big hands but he also has sense....for no-one in their right mind would move up here. And please, any others who live here, I don't want to hear about the merits of Maine....to my way of thinking, there are none. Chloe...can we do lunch in late-Feb?

#27488 09/21/00 04:13 PM
Jericco, You know I am going to need lunch way before Feb. LOL

Dare To Deviate
#27489 09/21/00 04:18 PM
J
Jericco Offline OP
OP Offline
J
dang, Chloe....an I was getting the fishing gear into shape! Can we do quiche and wine instead?.......

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 299 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.