Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Not true, adding a surcharge for credit cards violates your agreement. "

We ate at a popular place on the beach that told us there was a surcharge (maybe 5% ?) for using CC. Were they disregarding some rule? Just curious.

If I had a beer for every beer I've had...
S
S
Quick answer: yes. Supposedly there is some way of recovering that charge through your credit card company but I'm not sure how it works. Someone else may have the answer.

C
C
Businesses get charged anywhere between 2.25% - 4% for cc transactions, depending on their service and the type of card used. Certain establishments want to roll their costs on to you. While horrible business practice in the N.A, margins are small here. You can get your fee waived but it is an incredible hassle and really not worth the time spent. Just bring as much cash as you feel safe with and everyone will be happy.

Don't forget the foreign transaction fee you get charged on most credit cards when you get your bill, roughly about 3%.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Originally Posted by Canam
Businesses get charged anywhere between 2.25% - 4% for cc transactions, depending on their service and the type of card used. Certain establishments want to roll their costs on to you. While horrible business practice in the N.A, margins are small here. You can get your fee waived but it is an incredible hassle and really not worth the time spent. Just bring as much cash as you feel safe with and everyone will be happy.

I don't levy a credit card surcharge. That said, it's more complicated than this post suggests. Like many businesses I need US$ to buy things, and when I accept a credit card I get the money in Bz$. Getting US$ from Bz$ is neither simple nor cheap. The true cost to me of accepting a credit card is in excess of 7%.

Visa has announced its IPO. I suggest buy, buy, buy.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
P
P
....and an IPO is?

JZB Offline
Initial Public Offering

Initial Public Offering. Selling stock in the company.

I've already told you more than I know.
P
P
Thanks, surprised Visa is a private company.

Continuing the above thread I pulled an earlier question I posted as I thought it could be misconstrued. However it still nags me so here goes again.

If you were on holiday in your home country and decided on a trip or tour would you consider asking for a discount for cash, and if as I suspect for most people your honest answer is no, why would you consider to do so here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.