Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I think you guys might be missing part of the point , your talking behind anonymous identities as you speak on this forum. You may have noticed how people act different at a costume party.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
This type of discussion is exactly why I have my name at the end of everyone of my posts - as do a few others.
To use an analogy "Aren't you glad you use Dial? DEon't you wish everybody did?"

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OP Offline
AZBob and the many others who are not residents, and feel they have no right to voice an opinion onthe political picture; I used to feel exactly the same way. Not any longer however. My reasons are pretty simple, I think. The ol' girl and I have struggled for some time about moving to the island and take up Belikins, Cuban cigars and tarpon fishing on a daily and serious ambition. "(Please note that I use my name on my posts). We have postponed making the decision to move for several reasons. If all things were "equal" in my view I'd move in a heart beat,,, but I don't think they are. I visit the island 5>6 times a year just to fish, and when I come I am forced to see and hear of the conditions in the system, like the universal health thing, the public school thing, the needs for hospitals and doctors, the question surrounding the tax structure and its funds utiliztion, talks of the sale of reservation lands, the banking systems intrest rate structure, and what appears to be a lack of foresight by the administrations in the tourism industry, etc, etc. Today, I am content being a frequent tourist in San Pedro. When a few of the proposed constitutional ammendments are realities I will probably change my mind. At worse, I may be denied entry or sent home for speaking my mind. I find it distressing that many of the locals that I have spoken with seem either "not well informed or under some form of political intimidation". Although I am not easily intimidated it would be tough for me to say "I had been thrown out of better places".

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
AZBob,
again sorry for the side track about anonymity.
Outside ideas are helpful and welcome a lot of the time,
but truly if you look at most of them, their condescending and coming from a country with lots of serious problems. Yours however are not. The US has 200 years of experience on us and we might learn a lot from the mistakes made there and some from the things that worked.
Phone taping is sadly going to be a necessary evil all over the world.
As to the other proposed changes , well don't worry they are just thoughts being kicked around by new people in government. Reality of law will sober the intoxicating new power and nothing radical will come of it.

White Sands Dive Shop
I was very impressed Thursday at the Chamber of Commerce meeting. The Deputy Mayor brought the chief engineer - part of the planning department. He said some things that set him apart from many of the long time politicals here: "We do not have to reinvent the wheel! We can learn from other countries." WOW
He said a lot of other things but I'm going to let that digest for awhile.

ABob - I totally understand. I came here eight times before I made the total move. I did that once I felt so heart sick about where I was leaving I had higher hope of coming to a place that was evolving.

Although people speak of Belize as being a third world country, and much of the country is, the Cayes are more in the 'emerging nations' class. In the US I felt helpless- here I feel useful. Although there are a handful of people who consider themselves 'locals' and resent anything immigrants suggest there are just as many if not more people who are starting to accept ideas other than their own.

I like the old saying "If you are not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem."
These are exciting times!

Harriette
Well said Harriette

White Sands Dive Shop
Anybody know who "ubbit" is, IRL?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

"The young independant from Punta Gorda (forget his name)"

Wil Meija? Good guy. Lots of great ideas.

I finally caught up after hiding on my isolated mountain property for the weekend (second only to AC for mental adjustment). I appreciate all of your responses and it is so very obvious that I have a lot to learn about the political history of Belize. I had drawn to many assumptions because of British Honduras being part of the "Empire" until 1981. It is a totally independent young country and I have always thought as Harriette said "it is an emerging nation", so far ahead of other Central American countries. But as Don pointed out "when I come I am forced to see and hear of conditions in the system, like � universal health,�public schools, �doctors & hospitals, �tax structure,�lack of foresight�" are all problems this "youngster" is facing. Yes, Elbert, hopefully, they can learn from "the US ... 200 years of experience�mistakes made�and some of the things that worked." I hope in the future I can present valid comments and, yes Harriette, I hope to be a little part of the solution and none of the problem. Thanks Elbert for the nice comment.
My political education really begins:
Interesting article in today's SP Daily that fits into this discussion:
Commentary:
Time for constitutional reform in Belize
Wellington C. Ramos
"They did not do anything to involve the people of Belize to engage in such deliberations that were necessary. As a result, our country was given this document which required several changes in the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government without extensive debate and public input."
Is this commentary or fact?

Just one more thing:

Signed,

Bob Boyett
3600 N Meadowlark Dr
Prescott Valley AZ 86314
(928)759-7197
Email: [email protected]

No home page or web site as of yet.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Great article on San Pedro Daily. I find it very interesting to learn of the political history here.
I am also acutely aware of how history gets recorded and taught. One of the nice things about Belize political history is that it is so young that there are plenty of people around who actually know what happened. Of course we all have our own way of seeing things. When I was taking a series of classes in college on Women's history one of the first things that was pointed out was that most all of recorded history was from a man's point of view and that the winners get to write it. LOL - well -maybe not so funny?

Jesse - keep up the good work.

Harriette
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.