Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278730 04/30/08 12:28 PM
OP Offline
This is an interesting site - I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the comments and captions - but wow - talk about modern technology and architecture.

The dredge technology that built the Palm Island was used to replace Cancun's beaches after Wilma...

http://www.architecturelist.com/2008/03/05/351/

It's great! Dubai's success has already had a ripple effect to bring peaceful free-market trade to previously unthinkable parts of the middle east. The great hope for moderate Islam (if possible) lies in the success of the U.A.E., Qatar, and others.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
A little background information on U.A.E.
Source: The Energy Information Administration

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is an important oil producer with the fifth largest proven oil reserves in the Middle East and the fifth largest proven natural gas reserves in the world. The UAE is a member of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) since joining in 1967. The emirate of Abu Dhabi is the center of the oil and gas industry, followed by Dubai, Sharjah, and Ras al Khaimah. In 2004, natural gas supplied 64 percent of the country's total energy consumption, and oil supplied the remaining 36 percent.

The UAE is a high-income, stable federation of seven emirates with the second largest Arab economy in the Middle East. The non-oil sectors grew 18.6 percent in 2006 and have tripled during the last three years. Good relations with Asian trading partners and a growing domestic population have helped diversify the thriving economy. However, the country remains dependent on oil revenue, and the government has announced large oil production capacity increases within the next seven years. Abu Dhabi is the major hydrocarbon and industrial power while Dubai is the trading, financial, and tourist center of the emirates. Abu Dhabi and Dubai account for 80 percent of the UAE's income. Hydrocarbon revenues account for around one-third of the UAE's GDP, though the non-oil finance and service sectors in Dubai are making the city a favored base for multinational corporations in the Gulf

My thoughts:
Dubai is quickly becoming the financial center of the Arab World along with all the other "world record" biggest: buildings (2 of them under construction), theme parks, indoor snow skiing, islands, etc.

Let us see, is there any thing we should be concerned about:
MEMBER of OPEC since 1967!!! Huge reserves of oil and gas and soon to be the financial center of the Arab World.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
OP Offline
I have spoken with quite a few people that have vacationed in Dubai lately (past 3 years or so.) All enjoyed the place and have gone back to visit again. Some have already bought real estate there or are still considering purchases.

B
B
After clicking on the link above it is obvious oil prices are too high...

Was there three weeks ago for a day on my world cruise the place rocks...Some big money here ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Very interesting marina design. I wonder if it eliminates the build up of sand bars???

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 05/02/08 10:04 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
JZB Offline
We watched a show on the National Georgraphic channel yesterday on building the palm island. It was really interesting the know how and vision they have. Also the problems they had and still have to overcome working against mother nature. It was a good show.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.