Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#279058 05/02/08 12:20 PM
C
Canam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone know the bus schedule from Chetumal to Cancun? I've read some of the boards/internet postings and they are all about coming down to Belize not going out. How far is Playa De Carmen from CUN or should I just simply go straight to Cancun from Chetumal and spend the night to catch a noonish flight? Thanks!

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
The bus company is ADO. If you can read Spanish have a look at their website.

C
Canam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Pedro - Do you know exactly which line is better? ADO GL or Linea Uno? I'm not horribly concered either way but if you have experience with either I'd very much appreciate you input!

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
I've used ADO several times and they're excellent. In fact I didn't know that the other line operated that route - I've never come across them. The only minor criticism is that the A/C on those buses is always set very high, so you need a blanket or something warm to put on.

From memory the trip from CUN to Playa takes around 45 mins and cost me US$7 last November. From Playa to Chetumal takes around 5 hours on the express buses and cost me last time US$18. From reports I've heard the fares may have gone up slightly. An inconvenience is that the buses from CUN arrive in Playa at the bus station by the Cozumel ferry terminal, while the buses for Chetumal leave from a different bus station further north & further inland, about 20 minutes walk away.

C
C
I just did the trip 2 days ago and the busses from Chetumal are now coming into and leaving from the bus station located on the edge of town. The price is still 180 pesos ($18 U.S.)

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Which station is that? I'm not sure what "edge of town" means. I only know of two bus stations, the two I mentioned.

C
C
I am referring to the 2 bus stations you mentioned. The term "edge of town" is an old term. It means that when the new bus station was first built, it was considered at the edge of town. In the years since, Playa has grown up so much that the "edge of town" station is almost as central as the old station near the Cozumel ferry. Some second class busses and the shuttle that leaves every 10 minutes for Cancun, still leave from the old bus station near the Cozumel ferry.

I would spend the night in Playa Del Carmen before a flight from Cancun. The prices are cheaper in most cases, plus there is more to do with a pedestrian zone downtown with shops and bistros. There is so much to do and see on the 5th Avenue, its more than one night's entertainment.

I love to visit Playa (but wouldn't want to live there). We go there when we're needing a taste of civilization.

C
C
The shuttle between Playa Del Carmen and the Cancun airport leaves every hour on the hour starting at 8 a.m. The ride takes between 45 minutes to 1 hour. There are several terminals in Cancun, so when you arrive at the airport, ask for your airline before getting off the shuttle. American Airlines was flying from Terminal 3, although its subject to change. If you accidently get off at the wrong terminal, there is a free van shuttle between terminals. I speak Spanish, but rarely have to as they are geared up to speak English at the airport.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
So what I said stands - buses from Playa to CUN and to Chetumal leave from different bus stations.

C
Canam Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank-you all very much for your help. As usual you all came through.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.