Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: oughwl] #276701
04/14/08 10:39 AM
04/14/08 10:39 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Charlie that youtube piece was staggering. Thank you for sending.

I pick up garbage along the beach regularly. My unscientific observation shows that

the single most prevalant item is the plastic beverage bottle and or/the tops from them.

Other chronic bits that float up:
Shoes/shoe soles
glass bottles
shampoo and deodorant containers
Household stuff like tv,s, stands for fans, larger containers for gasoline, etc.
medical waste - hypo needles & the bottles in which the meds come

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: Diane Campbell] #276738
04/14/08 02:30 PM
04/14/08 02:30 PM
Los Angeles
O
oughwl Offline
oughwl  Offline
O
Diane has taken it upon herself and done an admirable job of keeping the beaches in the Mata Grande area clean of debris and garbage, making sure that it makes its way to its proper destination in town. All at her own expense. I've read a great deal about cleaning up San Pedro and applaud the efforts being made. A regular, reasonably priced garbage collection service in the north would go a long way to help the island as a whole,I'd sign on.

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: oughwl] #276864
04/15/08 10:12 AM
04/15/08 10:12 AM
San Pedro, Belize
dolphin Offline
dolphin  Offline
Presently the Town Council has committed to servicing these bins placed on the beach within "Town Proper", and along the roads from town to the South.

Bins placed on the beaches South of town will have to be maintained by the owner.

Across the bridge, both road and beach bins will have to be maintained by the owner, at least for now. We are working with the people that provide the trash pickup in the Tres Cocos area to see if those bins can be maintained.

Anyone interested in acquiring or donating a bin, please contact [email protected] as soon as possible.
Presently we are offering:

1) Whole barrel with no bamboo sides for $150
(These barrels only for only out-of-town or those that would like to add their on siding)

2) Half barrel with bamboo on 3 sides for $150

3) Half barrel with bamboo on 4 sides for $175

We appreciate your support,
Tom Vidrine
Chamber of Commerce

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: dolphin] #276878
04/15/08 12:50 PM
04/15/08 12:50 PM
San Francisco, Ca
CeeSF Offline
CeeSF  Offline
...has recycling made it out there yet?
Tree hugger, Cee

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: CeeSF] #276883
04/15/08 02:20 PM
04/15/08 02:20 PM
Mine Hill NJ
dabunk Offline
dabunk  Offline
Not in Belize or AC.

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: dabunk] #276902
04/15/08 04:49 PM
04/15/08 04:49 PM
New Jersey & Ambergris Caye be...
2MILESNORTHOFCUT Offline
2MILESNORTHOFCUT  Offline
dabunk, You mean all those empty bottles I bring back to the Belikin dristributor get thrown out? I think not!!

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT] #276905
04/15/08 05:34 PM
04/15/08 05:34 PM
Mine Hill NJ
dabunk Offline
dabunk  Offline
I stand corrected. In that sense certain glass bottles are reused. But as far as recyling of any other materials, glass, plastic, paper, etc, none. But you are correct, certain brands of beer and soda bottles are recycled/reused.

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: dabunk] #276922
04/15/08 08:43 PM
04/15/08 08:43 PM
San Pedro
P
pamkillen Offline
pamkillen  Offline
P
One thing to remember in terms of garbage on the beach is that Belize does not have a Coast Guard to enforce no dumping laws for cruise ships. Much of the garbage that lands on our beaches is from the ships that dump outside the reef once they start heading north. They can not dump in Guatemala or Mexico or else they will be fined so they make sure they hit those countires with empty garbage holds. Check out the beach in a easterly blow as the ships leave Belize. Garbage, especially plastics, float in through the cuts and on to the beach.You will notice that there are plastic bottles etc. that are not sold here. Yes we should clean up but there is also a legislative piece that must be addressed.

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: pamkillen] #278938
05/01/08 06:37 PM
05/01/08 06:37 PM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP
from the Chamber of Commerce
Dr. Wil Lala has completed 16 full barrel bins, and 33 half barrel bins with bamboo siding.

Dr. Will asked Tom to especially thank Renita & Cindy of Changes in Latitudes who not only sent one of their workers to help, but also told a guest about the project, Cindy Stanton of New York, who then volunteered to go give a hand to Dr. Lala. Also appreciation to all these people have given him a helping hand: Dana & Brenda LeTendre, Art Livingston, Erica Galbraith, C. J. Varela, Alex Canalex, Joe Novelo, Art Rinehart, Todd Beblow from Segway Belize, from Ecologic Divers, Charlie Mejia, Manuel Mendoza, Juan Kumel, and Marcos Alamina; Eric Garcia from the Blue Tang, and from Changes in Latitude, Joe Novelo. Dr. Wil also thanked Reef Village for the free barging of the bamboo to the island, and Todd Beblow of Segway for delivery.

Dr. Lala had also informed Tom that the barrels are being donated by Bowen & Bowen, and that as the barrels arrive, the remaining bins will be completed. Thank you Barry!

Full barrel bins are ready to be picked up at The Boatyard if anyone prefers this type. Half barrel bins will be ready as soon as enough barrels arrive.

Anyone wanting to buy one or donate a bin to any group, school, church, or a specific area, please let the Chamber know as soon as possible. Email: [email protected]

Re: Trash Bin Project [Re: Marty] #279293
05/04/08 04:44 PM
05/04/08 04:44 PM
B
BamaB's Offline
BamaB's  Offline
B
I promise that on our next trip down we'll do our share. Sometimes I picked up & carried plastic bottles at least a mile to find a receptacle when we were there in March, so this will make my tree-hugging recycling eco-friendly wife ecstatic!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 735 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,428
Posts478,628
Members19,578
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.