Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
First time posting here and have a question: does the west side of the island usually have the nice breezes that the east side has? Any opinions as to staying on that side of the island vs. the more populated side? The sunsets are our main draw. Thank you for your advice!!

The sunsets are beautiful on the west side. However, the breeze comes from the east and north, so the west side not only gets less breeze but is more prone to mosquitos and sand flys. There is a certain alure to staying on the less populated side, and sometimes that is all you need. You just have to know that at around dusk the mosquitos will get ya, so stay indoors at that time.

A
AlJ Offline
A
I've never found the east side all that populated. I'd stay on the east side and walk over for the sunsets.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by AlJ
I'd stay on the east side and walk over for the sunsets.

AlJ, I'm interested in knowing your reasons why. We're trying to decide where to stay. Thanks.

A
AlJ Offline
A
Easy, really. I like the breezes. The east side is also very pretty in my opinion. I don't know about the west side but we always see frigate birds and pelicans as we walk up the beach. Especially if someone is cleaning fish.

I also prefer sunrises to sunsets. I'm willing to get up to see them and may get otherwise occupied at sunset time.

Basically, though, I want the breezes. It can get really hot on Caye Caulker in February and I think the breezes help.

CC's a neat place. You'll probably enjoy it from either side. Just remember that there's a reason most of the hotels, guest houses, etc are on the east side.

If you didn't, take a look at some of our pictures and you can see a good bit of the east side of the island. Less of the west, though.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the info. Your pictures are great. I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter where we stay.

D
D
There is a good reason the east has many of the older hotels-the folks who built them owned land there and not elsewhere.
I was here at the time.
Did anyone mention to you that the two sides are only a few hundred feet apart? From my deck I can see both sides of this narrow island.
Any one who tells you the wind blows mainly from the east almost certainly has never stayed on the west. Any sailor or windsurfer will tell you the strongest winds blow from west.

The East gets more wind tha the West, this is why all of the windsurfers and kitesurfers play on the east side of the island. We go to the west side of the island to wakeboard because the water is much calmer. Also why most of the larger boats park there (even the cats that can make it past the reef to the east side). If you want a great place to stay, book Seaside Villas. We have a private pool and a hot tub on the roof. You can see the sunset and the sunrise from one spot. Go to www.cayecondo.com . Feel free to e-mail me with ny questions

M
M
We have stayed at the Iguana Reef Inn on the West side both times (Mar/Apr). Didn't notice the lack of a breeze or too many sand fleas. Would definitely stay there again.

C
C
When the west winds blow, its usually a helluva storm coming.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day