Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#280861 05/20/08 01:27 AM
ncrbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
So my first time in Belize, a quick report for new comers or avid ACers alike. Don't drink belikin beer. Sorry, it's horrible. Don't drink one barrel rum, sorry also very bad. Buy booze at duty free and bring it w/ you. Most restaurants on the island are not worth eating at. Go to street vendors or little local joints (always eat where locals do.) Don't go deep sea fishing. After 9 hours and 3 cuda's.... wow i saw 4 3'+ black grouper under our boat while scuba diving the reef. Don't believe any bad things you read or hear about ac, san Pedro, or Belize. This place is a diamond in the rough, it's natures Disney world. If you are planning a trip get here soon... it is booming! There are condo's going up so fast that 3 were up between us getting there and leaving. It will be Cozumel soon. Don't get offended when your tour guide says U.S. citizens are spoiled. 99% of us have electricity and running H2O. A lot of Belize does not. Now for the do's. Dive, be it snorkel or scuba do it! Hit up the main land for a few tours. Very amazing things to see and do (Lamanai, cave tube, etc.) Most company's give you r.t. transportation, breakfast, lunch, drinks, and a guide for not a whole lot considering. Next, tip your tour guides. Those guys and gals are awesome and We were the only people tipping them. Buy local crafts. Wood carvings or whatever buy some they make great souvenirs. Embrace the turtle grass. It's not nearly as bad as I read about. I've been all over the world and ac is certainly on my top 5. Not as cheap as the rest of central America but equally priced to the rest of the Caribbean. I will definitely be back for a return visit. Enjoy and keep on keepin on.

cuttin cheese in the west indies
Awe man... did you try the Coconut Rum and Lighthouse? Those are quality!!! And there are certainly some good restaurants... I won't hold your comments against you but I will tell you that you're WRONG! laugh

I agree that we ALL should tip the tour guides and buy local (that includes the booze). wink

Glad you had fun and are thinking of a return trip!

For such a positive report, so much negativity!! How about just saying you didn't care for Belikin or One Barrel, as opposed to telling folks not to try them!! And I've had GREAT meals in SP restaurants!!

Still, I'm with TQ . .glad you enjoyed yourself!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
E
E
I dont know where you had 'bad dinners'. 10 years ago, it was easy to get poor food, today there are a number of excellent restaurants for fine dinning. Beer and rum is a matter of taste. Personally I like the local libations. I agree with the above post, glad you enjoyed your trip and will return.

Come on back and try again. I'm a beer lover and have drank around the world. I like Belekin's, even after 10 days of serious testing! Also, loved the food!
Tip the tour guides.

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
ncrbrew Offline OP
OP Offline
The rum yes that was a simple matter of taste. as for the beer...
every regular belikin i had was rampant with DMS (thats dimethyl sulphide) the lighthouse was seriously sun struck (they should consider putting it in amber bottles.) the premium was the best bet out of all of them but still sub par.

cuttin cheese in the west indies
C
C
Nice meeting your group when we were there. Belikin isn't that bad for us average beer folks but for a brewmaster, you are partial to particular things knowing what you know and your expertise in your field back in the States. I intend this to come across as a positive point for you as other boarders may not understand where you are coming from.

As for the fishing I can completely sympathize with you as we had the same experience in Cozumel the week before. I was sad. Glad you enjoyed the tours on the mainland though - we will do that on the next trip, I have been able the leave the island yet except for boat trips in the area because I don't want to be away from the water... laugh We did have a great BBQ up North with Suya the first 2 snorkeling stops weren't great but Mexico Rocks was good.

We had a great trip too - I am ready to come back. Hub was supposed to go to Singapore to work next month and I was going to make a quickie trip but his trip was pushed back to July so my secret plan cool fell through!

Live Laugh Love
"Don't go deep sea fishing. After 9 hours and 3 cuda's...."

Who in God's Name did you go Fishing with?

Fishing on the reef in SP is like fishing in a fishtank!

My main concern about fishing there was the Guides/fishermen were taking way too many fish from the reef. Boat after boat comes in with 60/70/80 fish from the reef. Past the reef ( depending on species, and season you fish) is amazing fishing when you light into them.

I'm sorry you had a bad Fishing experience, but I can say from with certainty , that was not a typical fishing day.

I'm happy you liked the trip overall tho.

T
T
having fished the waters off of AC for many years, (about 150 days on the water, about half of those over the reef) i've had a few days like the op. was just down the beginning of the month, and the first day i had one of the top two or three days fishing in my life. had we boated everything we had on, it would have been the best ever. the very next day...nada, zip, zilch, and while that is a rare occurence, it isn't the first time that has happened. when the fish aren't biting there isn't much you can do. that being said, the fishing has dropped off to some extent, and that has been confirmed by several long time guides. also, haven't ever brought in 60+ fish, but have seen it done plenty. sorry you didn't have great results.

i agree on the beer by the way, i prefer the premium, but none of it is great. don't drink rum....can't comment.

i would disagree about the restaurants however, as i don't remember having any bad meals. jmo

Last edited by TIMO; 05/21/08 04:45 PM.
C
C
All of our meals were great too, only one place that has rave reviews I may not agree with but it would be to my own personal preference therefore I won't mention any names.

Live Laugh Love
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.