Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#280816 05/19/08 04:10 PM
OP Offline
It is officially time for you to dust off your hurricane plans, stock up and be prepared to take care of yourself and possibly others if the need arises.

And if that isn't enough to get you up and moving:

http://www.crownweather.com/tropdisc.html

Look at today's discussion (May 19th) might turn out to be nothing....

Good site, thanks Amanda. A definite "watch".

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
OP Offline
GFS model still predicting some tropical action off the coast of Belize in about a week.

Just keep a wary eye and please seriously think about formulating your hurricane evacuation plan. Even if you plan to evacuate you should consider storing some basic hurricane supplies during the season. If we are caught off-guard, or the conditions become too dangerous too fast you might not be able to leave the island and will need to hunker down. So the best advice you can ever get is BE PREPARED. If you can take care of yourself then you will not be a burden to others. And if you are prepared you can lend assistance if necessary to others that are less fortunate or able bodied.

This is going to be my first year in a hurricane zone, and even after reading everything I can, I'm still freaking out!

How many people stay on the island?

OP Offline
Hi Scott

Don't freak out - NEMO (the national emergency management organization) is conducting exercises right now in preparation for the season.

If we are threatened then all low lying coastal areas and the cayes are ordered to evacuate. This is a mandatory order. I would highly recommend that you make a plan of evacuation. AND have a plan B back up plan if you can't leave.

The island would have police & BDF soldiers on the island and curfews would be imposed for those that stay. How many? Who knows, I think there were about 2,000 residents that remained when Wilma threatened 2 years ago. I wasn't here for Dean last year.

It seems like every expat I talk to stays? I have an invitation to go with a local family to their house in Belmopan, but I'm positive that that house will be brimming with human beings, and the idea of being trapped there for a week or more could be a nightmare in the making.

I live in a cement building, and have already collected all my supplies. I've just never been through anything like this, and I hear people talking about having hurricane parties? That just seems insane to me?

S
S
What else are you going to do while sitting around? Worry? If you decide to stay you have to live with the consequences, may as well make the best of it. Just make sure you're not getting tanked up like some and become a danger to yourself and others if the sh_t hits the fan.

Who am I kidding!? I'm going to run so fast to Belmopan there will be a smoking trail behind me!

So far we have flashlights, dot lights and lasko soy drink powder. A bit behind on stocking up food stuff this year.

Thanks for the reminder Amanda.

Scott last year we stayed for both and it was very good practice. Our friends had been through Wilma so they were coaching us.

No sooner did we get half unpacked from Dean when we had to pack it all up again for Felix.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

S
S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.