Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
I hear there will be a press conference by the Government tomorrow regarding the blackouts; I will quote some headlines from the Belize media:

Originally Posted by Amandala
Greedy BEL earns record profits, but threatens blackouts
BEL's pockets getting fatter!
Take a look at how much profits BEL has made since 2005�
2007 - $29.9 million
2006 - $26.1 million
2005 - $18.9 million

Originally Posted by LoveFM
PUP LEADER COMMENTS ON POWER OUTAGES
Leader of The People's United Party, John Briceno says the PUP is gravely concerned about recent statements made by Stan Marshall, Chairman of Fortis, at the BEL's annual general meeting. The PUP says the Marshall's threat to introduce rolling blackouts to Belizeans consumers if an increase in electricity rates is not granted to BEL is offensive and disrespectful.

Originally Posted by 7 News Belize
BEL Blames Weekend Blackouts on Mexico
There were intermittent power outages countrywide over the long weekend - and while most people we spoke to felt that a spiteful Stan Marshall was toggling the switch to make the government get the sense - BEL has assured us, no such thing happened.

Originally Posted by The Reporter
Black outs again!
Belize Electricity Limited, the privately owned multi-million dollar electricity company which generated some $30 million in profit at the end of its last financial year, this week said that tough times are ahead, including potential rotating blackouts.

Originally Posted by Channel5 Belize
B.E.L.: separate blackouts are Mexico's fault
Conspiracy theorists will tell you the separate nationwide blackouts that occurred over the long weekend were messages from Belize Electricity Limited to the Public Utilities Commission.

Originally Posted by Belize Times
WATCHOUT! FOR BLACKOUTS
BEL reaches "crisis levels", says Fortis CEO

Originally Posted by The Guardian
BEL to Belizeans - Brace for Blackouts
PUC to BEL - Not so Fast!

Everybody has a different opinion; I don't buy their excuses so early after threatening the Government of Belize with "blackouts when we don't get our raise" and think the behaviour of BEL is criminal and should be threated as such. We need competition on the Electricity Market in Belize.
Any ideas?

Live and let live
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are some figures sorted by rate from [u]electricity tariffs around the world in Wikipedia[/u] and guess what? Belize is definitely the highest with US$ cents 24.8 per kilowatt hour, and has probably by far with the worst quality and service. On top of that they now want a 15% increase??

Denmark: US$ cents 22.89 as of 2006-2007
Italy: US$ cents 15.74 as of 2006-2007
Germany: US$ cents 13.16 as of 2006-2007
Netherlands: US$ cents 12.62 as of 2006-2007
Hong Kong (HK Island): US$ cents 12.30 as of 2008-04-23
Belgium: US$ cents 11.43 as of 2006-2007
UK: US$ cents 11.16 as of 2006-2007
Hong Kong (Kowloon): US$ cents 10.90 as of 2008-04-23
Spain: US$ cents 10.35 as of 2006-2007
USA: US$ cents 9.28 as of 2006-2007
France: US$ cents 8.54 as of 2006-2007
Australia: US$ cents 7.11 as of 2006-2007
Finland: US$ cents 6.95 as of 2006-2007
Sweden: US$ cents 6.60 as of 2006-2007
Canada US$ cents 6.18 as of 2006-2007
South Africa US$ cents 3.56 as of 2006-2007

Live and let live
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Anybody had equipment destroyed? I've lost a wireless router, and I intend to claim its value from BEL.

Short Offline OP
OP Offline
I have damage, but I am above all furious about the big picture; "Highest Electricity Rates in the World", "Whining about 15% Increase" with "Worst Quality and Service" and "Record Profits", further "Threatening a Nation", "IMO Criminal Behavior from BEL" thus "GOB needs to handle this lack of service as a Criminal Act against Belizeans" and "Belize needs Competition on the Electricity Market". Do you have any ideas about that?

Live and let live
I don't understand how the black out actually occurs? Aren't there generators on the island?

How could Mexico affect a generator in San Pedro?

I thought they were just having problems with the equipment here until I read all of this?

Someone should be doing some investigative reporting at the local station and figuring out how the generator works, and why blackouts happen. It seems like that would answer a lot of these questions.

S
S
Watch the morning show at 7am this morning (Ch7), maybe they will have an update on the island outages. Yesterday they said they had no response from BEL and were calling on BEL to give an explanation when the power was cut off ending the show.

S
S
I should note that the blackout last night when the rain started appeared to be a short in a transformer as I heard a loud bang when it went off.

It went off in PG as well last night, country wide I believe.

Maybe it's time for the BDF to go into the BEL offices ...aka BTL strike several years ago???

Change your Latitude
"appeared to be a short in a transformer as I heard a loud bang when it went off"....what about the ten times after it went out when it went on and off for three seconds about five times? Or this morning when it "almost" went off....I'm tired of replacing refrigerators and AC condensers....yes, call them and they will tell you you can "Go to the BEL office and fill out a claim form"..has anyone ever actually recieved any $$ after filing one of their "claim forms"?

Change your Latitude
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.