Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
All doctors must pass U.S. boards to get a U.S. license.

But you already knew that.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Very interesting thread....I practiced medicine for 35 years...US born, trained and US Citicizen. 15 years ago I was able to get approval from the Belize Govt. to practice in Belize, as long as I do not charge for services....hey they let me in, I still practice when I want, and can do good in the country of Belize.....its their country....so if they want to limit foreign physicians it is there right....

Algae

Old people know more about being young, than young people know about being old!
OP Offline
The facts are that all countries have limits on who comes and works. Belize is no different. You might not agree with Belize policy, but it is their policy. And if you expect to move here, you better accept right from the start that you are not going to change that. After you read "Don't Stop The Carnival" get use to saying the serenity prayer. You will be saying it over and over again while in Belize.

P
P
"Let's say I make mud pies and I want to start a mud pie company in Belize. If I'm allowed to start my mud pie company then I will need employees. Who will I employ? I will need a mud pie factory. Who will build it? I will need mud pie transporters? Who will deliver my pies? I will pay taxes. Who will I pay my taxes to?

Answer to all of the above.....the Belizean people!"

Are you building a hospital or clinic? How many people would you employ? How many other jobs would be created because of you coming down here and working?
Because your mud pie example states that you would be building and employee creating several jobs...

It is well established that a physician can donate their services. This topic is about allowing fee for service in order to allow young or young at heart doctors to live there full time and collect some money for their service.

I look forward to the day I can do as you, come and go as I want and practice for free but that day is a long way away for me.

I would rather be able to move there soon and collect a lot less money than to move there much later in life and be retired only.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
I understand your comments "young apprentice", The average Belizean physician nets less than $50,000 US in private practice if he or she is extremely resourceful, owns a pharmacy and lab services, and has other sources of revenue generation. Now the folks at the Private Clinics can "skim off" more money, as witnessed with the recent Universal Health scam.....but lets assume, depending on you specialty you pull down 135,000-$750,000 US per year currently.....are you willing to practice for $30,000 US, working 80-100 hour work weeks. My Belizean collegues work that many hours.....just thoughts to ponder.

Algae

"Are you building a hospital or clinic? How many people would you employ? How many other jobs would be created because of you coming down here and working?
Because your mud pie example states that you would be building and employee creating several jobs"

A clinic. I currently employ 6 full time employees, 2 partime employees, a clean-up person each evening and a grounds keeper each week.

The hospital employs 5 R.N.s for OB and 4 nursery aids all only for the OB service. Surgery employs 6 full time R.N.s and several aids, house keeping ect. which work for OB services as well as surgery services.

I purchase thousands of dollars worth of clinic supplies each month from various companies (much more so than I like).

A single busy doctor has a significant positive impact on the local economy.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
You can argue all you want using US analogies. Plan fact - it does not apply to Belize.

"are you willing to practice for $30,000 US, working 80-100 hour work weeks"

As stated earlier, in six years I will hopefully be in a position to work full time in Belize provided I can make enough money to pay my routine bills.

I work that much now, the work load will not be an issue for me. I don't do much else. I just think I'll be much happier when I can go home at the end of the day and sit on my dock, eat fresh sea food, and listen to music at Fido's.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
The model in Belize is somewhat different and the costs of running a practice are much higher. For example, the typical private practice physician in Belize (Belize City doesn't count) does not have a nurse, no receptionist, no nuses aids and no janitorial service...the physician does all of these things. Usually their office has no more than 1-2 exam rooms/which double as their office. So trust me from experience, you will not generate the economic impact on the Belize economy like you do in the US. You practice medicine for the "love of medicine" and to serve the patients who need your services....grant it you can make more money than a construction worker but you never have the economic power just practicing medicine the way you do in the states (unless you work a SCAM)

Algae

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.