Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Hi Peter,

I have a few questions...
Have you ever been to AC?
Will you be coming down alone?
Before moving down full time try it for 3 months minimum. 6 months would even be better.

Good luck in whatever your choice is but my vote is always AC vs mainland.

B
B
and where abouts do you live and what is the name of your building?

P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi Purdygirl,no we have never been to AC. I have always wanted to but my wife wanted to go to Barbados, St. Lucia etc. Unfortunately I recently had a hip replacement so our travelling is on hold until spring 2009. We are planning to come down in March 2009 with the intentions of scoping the place out for full time retirement. We hate the cold Canadian winters!

P
P
I too hated cold canaidian winters that is why I now live here.
I am glad you are thinking about scoping it out give yourselves some time to see if you like it.
Get to know the people around you and be active in the community. I find that most of us who move down here and are involved last a lot longer than people who come down and just sit at the bar all day.(nothing wrong with that either)
Well good luck and read a lot of the past posts they are usually full of great advise.

Read "Don't Stop the Carnival." You will laugh yourself silly but it will be some good insight.

The people I know who don't want to live here can not tolerate the politics, lack of reliable utilities and frustration in trying to get things done. I periodically have difficulties with some of these myself and have to calm down - look at the sea and remind myself why I am here.
Latest frustration is over 6 months and two different "mechanics" messing with my golf cart to the point where it still can't be used. Oh yeah, one of them who really messed it up wants US $2,000 + I mean - I didn't have a golf cart for six months and now I am afraid to drive it. Been pulled home from town three times in two weeks.
I have to go read a book and calm down again. LOL

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Peterh - I would recommend the island over the mainland 1000 times and twice on Sunday mainly because of my love of the the water and that it is unique. Now granted I am sitting in the US typing this and you will get advice from a lot of seasoned veterans but the best advice is that you go down when your hip is ready and give it a try by staying for a while and visiting with the other residents. Obviously those on the island still love it as they are still there but there are others who tried it and it didn't work out and they left under the cover of darkness. Wish you luck.

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
S
S
Hmmm...
How did they leave under the cover of darkness?
The planes and boats all stop at sunset.
Sounds sneaky!

Jesse - I think they flew the coup

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
peterh Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi everyone thanks for all the great advice. I have been talking to Trudy Troiano who has/had a house on the north side in caye villas. ( House Hunters International TV Show ) and she has been very helpfull.

Peter what area of Toronto are you living? Former Kensington market girl here.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.