Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#284084 06/10/08 08:40 PM
pedro2, You have tried AnchorFree HotSpot Shield, (no charge) right? Don't understand why it works for me and not for you. We are located in Bermuda Landing just north of the bridge. Chris Barenfanger has no problem with Skype either as long as he's running HotSpot Shield, yet his foreman Mike Madrid who lives in town has constant problems even with HotSpot running....maybe there's a charm north of the bridge?!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Yes, but I've also tried the two pay versions. Successively each worked for a while and then failed. But I do know someone living pretty close and also using Coral Cable who is still able to use one of the pay versions. Mine simply doesn't connect.

Originally Posted by A Salty Dog
Can you recommend a brand of surge protector?
Thanks.

Belkin is a well known brand. Also APC. APC handles a lot of the server/workstation protection, so you know it is good. Belkin targets the home market, but also is very good. Just get one with sufficiently large surge protection. The link I provided is certainly what I would recommend. Nothing too less than that.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Are there any UPSs currently available that use an external 12v battery? I had one years ago in Africa and it was so much better than having a small battery built in.

#284156 06/11/08 10:02 AM
Never heard of such a thing, but sounds like an interesting concept... what did you do, clamp it onto an auto battery?

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
In effect yes. Worked very well. In the wilds of Africa you could use anything to charge the battery - mains power if available, a mobile generator, or even run it off a Land Rover - and then use radio & basic electronics for days on end (depending on the size of battery). And you could easily couple in a newly charged battery and remove a dead one without interrupting the available power. Seems so obvious.

#284168 06/11/08 10:49 AM
S
S
Convert one yourself, we did it out at Lamanai. Used a decent sized UPS (Minuteman, available in Belize) and then wired in a bunch of deep cycle 12V batteries. We were able to run 3 offices for about 15 minutes.

#284169 06/11/08 10:49 AM
We use a bank of 2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series charged by an old UPS. works great. Many old UPS are thrown away as to buy new batteries for them costs more than a new UPS. Mine keeps me going for a long time for the satellite modem and computers.

#284188 06/11/08 11:55 AM
Every time you launch HotSpot Shield, a different IP address is assigned......can't imagine BTL being able to keep up with it.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
C
C
Yes, that is correct for that version. That is not a viable solution to those who may move here with the intention of running a business, as was implied via the original post. For this you need a stable IP with consistent results - 365 days a year. BTL seems to revolve blocking in chunks, meaning 2 mnths ok, 2 mnths not so good etc.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 95 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.