Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#283623 06/09/08 10:28 AM
OP Offline
I'm moving to SP soon and maintaining employment thru the Internet.

How often do you lose your Internet service in SP? On average, how long do Internet outages last? Regarding outages, what is the most dependable Internet source -- cable or satellite?

How often do you lose electricity in SP? On average, how long do electricity outages last?

Thanks!

When I move to SP, I'll be doing the same.

It's my impression that the cable internet is much less dependable than the dsl internet on the island. I would recommend spending the extra money to get business level service to guanrantee an acceptable speed.

Perhaps we should set up a highly connected office building where all of us web workers can go for dependable and fast service several hours a day.

C
C
Make sure that you're not attempting to use VOIP for work. BTL spends more energy attempting to block this type of use of their internet service than actually trying to spend money making it better.

Canam #283772 06/09/08 05:42 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Satellite is far better than either BTL's own service or Coral Cable's, for the simple reason that it's independent of BTL, who are perfectly happy to operate totally illegally with a view to suppressing any competition. Unfortunately although their legal monopoly was terminated, no steps were taken to ensure that other users could have uninterrupted use of the physical facilities built up by BTL, whether at a fair price or at all. Consequently there is still a de facto monopoly, and it's operated by extremely corrupt people.

#283776 06/09/08 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, latency on a satellite internet connection is far too long for me to do what I do.

There is a new internet service called MirrorNet out of Belmopan that supposedly does not buy their connectivity from BTL and are on a direct fiber optic connection to the backbone, though when asked if they are buying from Mexico or Guatamala, they did not answer.

They are trying to get a company in San Pedro to put in a 200 foot tower so they can connect up their service.

If someone would like to sell the service in San Pedro and can put up a 200' tower, then you might want to get in contact with them.

Here's the contact info:

Karen for MirrorNet Limited
It's More Than Internet - It's MirrorNet
www.mirrornet.bz
605-5718

S
S
Hell of a lot more expensive than BTL.

SimonB #283829 06/09/08 09:17 PM
Absolutely worth it though if it doesn't block VOIP and provides low latency to the states... at least for me.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Any contractor dealing with them will be blacklisted by BTL and any company that has significant dealings with them. From a VERY reliable source.

#283854 06/10/08 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by SimonB
Hell of a lot more expensive than BTL.

I think many people would like to pay for a better service that supports VIOP. The fastest Hughesnet connection is now US$225 per month and Idirect is US$ 1,000 per month.

Originally Posted by pedro2
Any contractor dealing with them will be blacklisted by BTL

BTL can only blacklist email, but there are not many people left that still use BTL email - unreliable, to much spam and BTL and their mail IPs are blacklisted themselves by many providers. At least that was my experience when I stopped using their email.

Live and let live
Short #283855 06/10/08 12:17 AM
I think what Pedro meant by "blacklist" is that they would buy them a "cement suit" wink

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.