Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Yes, I was referring to commercial "dirty tricks". I know of one start-up operation that was stopped in its tracks when an international contractor needed to establish the infrastructure was told that if it went ahead it would lose contracts it had with apparently unrelated third parties in other countries. BTL has a very long reach internationally and is perfectly happy to use any means at its disposal to suppress competition. IMO the boss is long overdue for a rap on the knuckles either here or in his native country, but so far all attempts to do just that have been frustrated by severe business obfuscation.

Short #283890 06/10/08 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Short
The fastest Hughesnet connection is now US$225 per month and Idirect is US$ 1,000 per month.

Do you know of anyone who is using that fastest iDirect service? I'd like to talk to them.

One of the most frustrating things here is that no one monitors when the service goes down. Nights and weekends there is no one on duty to call. There are several places on the island where, when the electricity goes off, a cable switch is thrown. I was told by a long time local that in town there is a woman who goes and turns it back on. The switch at the bridge is a different story. If it goes out after 5:00 on Friday we don't have it back on until Monday morning. The last time this happened it was 8:18 in the morning before I got an answer and they didn't even know it was down. They did send a guy right out and in five minutes it was restored.

Someone with more influence than me needs to address this.

The other problem is their modems. Every time there is an interruption in service I have to totally disconnect the modem and reconnect it and push the reset button. Some times I have to do this several times.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Yes, and I've got through three wireless routers since this business started. The power going off is one thing, but when it flashes off and back on again it causes a surge that will destroy much electronic equipment. I have a power surge suppressor, but that isn't enough to protect against a total and very brief power outage.

#283912 06/10/08 10:12 AM
Pedro - you are so right. I bought a battery made just to protect my computer set up. It really works!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Even here in the states, I run my computer equipment, including routers and access points on a battery backup and surge protector. The small up front cost is well worth saving the equipment from a surge or brownout.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Harriette - can you post details?

Am I right in thinking that my laptop is inherently protected because of the built-in battery? Certainly I've never had a problem with it, though desktop computers and of course routers have suffered. I occasionally use mains-powered external hard drives, and although they're powered by DC produced by an in-line transformer I wonder if they're also vulnerable?

Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
One of the most frustrating things here is that no one monitors when the service goes down.

And that type of thing kills someone who depends on the internet for their livelihood.

My hope is that if MirrorNet makes it to the island, they will be a stable and open alternative.

#283928 06/10/08 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by pedro2
Harriette - can you post details?

There are many options, but for example:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=171958

Originally Posted by pedro2

Am I right in thinking that my laptop is inherently protected because of the built-in battery?

In my opinion, the laptop battery will protect you from brownouts, but not from a power surge. You should use a power strip with enough surge protection for computer equipment (there are different surge protection levels).

I don't think a brownout will affect a transformer, but if it does, a power cable is cheap enough to replace.

K
K
I have a laptop on a surge protector and rarely use just battery (except when the power goes out and that is just for shutting down) but I have had to replace the battery and it is only a year old.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.