Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#284703 06/13/08 11:34 PM
OP Offline
Does anyone know of an offshore investment plan that will allow me to put away some money every month into investments such as stock, commodity or real estate investment funds?

I am tired of the poor returns of the mutual funds back home that are not even keeping ahead of the fall in the dollar. So because the dollar is falling by 10% per year there is no real appreciation from investments back home when they go up a paltry 10%.

Looking forward to your reply, Wealthy Buyer

I have an insatiable hunger for more land !!!
Don't know where "back home" is for you..but I'm guessing its USA...how about putting cash into Alberta,Canada? ...in particular...residential or commercial real estate in Calgary?

Is this a joke?

What "mutal funds", "back home" are earning 10% right now?

When did inflation or "the dollar is falling" increase to 10%?

Perhapse you have been spending too much of your "wealth" on "investing" in plant commodities like...... cannabis?

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
www.southbeachbelize.com

And there were 82 mutual funds earning over 10% through the first quarter of 08 with the highest more that 39% and the dollar has fallen more than 30% against the Euro. So not all of his assertions are wrong. Now let's see if he is smart enough to invest in Southbeach.

I need bywarren to be my mutal fund advisor. All of mine (not that there is a lot) seem to be losing $ lately.

Keep us up-to-date on that 39% earner. I'd like to know what it's 5 and 10 year averages are. Do you have that info?

Jeff is currently offering an 11% return on two year lease backs at South Beach.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
I pay dearly for that advice and you would be well served by finding an excellent financial advisor - of which I am not - even for free.

Also without even having to consulte my advisor, I doubt he would advise me to invest in something returning 11% that does not as yet exist.

Oh what the hell. Since I sort of feel sorry for a doctor that has to move to Belize to make a little extra spending money, here are the ones earning over 30% for the first quarter of 08.
CRF,EFL,CLM,RQI and RPE.

Last edited by bywarren; 06/14/08 08:33 AM.
bywarren - you big softy. don't let all of your secrets out the bag in one short week!

I guess "Doc" or Wealthy Buyer hasn't heard how to become a millionaire in Belize - bring two with you. grin

You still didn't give us those 5 and 10 year averages. 30% up today and 40% down tomorrow seems a common trend while predicting a down turn eludes most of us.

This original post had to be a joke, just read the poster's screen name and signature. Had to be a prank. I posted with humor in mind.

I do have a financial advisor one of several over the years, none of which seem any better at predicting stocks than the other.

I don't "have" to move to Belize, I want to move to Belize. And depending on when I'm able to make that move I'll need to earn a little more than "a little extra spending money". But I have no pie in the sky ideas that I will "become a mllionaire in Belize". I haven't accomplished that here! I do have a goal of earning enough to pay routine bills but little more. I think this is a reasonable and obtainable goal. I may never be able to obtain a Belize medical license but I'm sure going to try.

I'm also a pilot, maybe Tropic or Maya will hire me for island hopper flights. Point is, I'll find something / someway to work it out because moving there before we get "too old" is our goal and has been for some time now.

One last bit of info for you to understand that our desire to live there has little to do with money. We recently adopted a creole baby girl. We live in the south where there is still a fair amount of racism both from whites and from blacks. Since she is both, then she is really neither. Therefore, we are concerned that she may not be accepted by either race.

From what we have seen on the island, children of all shades of color seem to mesh well with each other. We want her to be able to attend school there surrounded by other children of various races and color.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/14/08 06:20 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Like I posted earlier, good luck.

You are using humor again aren't you when you talk about Tropic or Maya hiring you?

Two or three trips ago I chartered a 172 to the island for some photos prior to landing. Our pilot on that trip was from Canada. I did see somewhere (?) a quote from I think the owner of Tropic basically bragging that "all our pilots are Belizean" or something to that effect. That was a while back so don't hold me to the details but the point was clear.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
I doubt if you can find where that was said by anyone of the three owners of Tropic, since the chief pilot is from the US and they have had not only Canadian but Australian pilots. I am pretty sure you would find them saying they haven't had any semi-retired doctors as pilots and based on the stereotypical view of doctors as pilots, I doubt if they plan on hiring any.

S
S
This thread brings a thought to mind, the pot calling the kettle black.

Now, don't be too hard on him Simon just because he refered to cannabis and adopted a half black child. We don't want him discouraged from coming and performing all the medical procedures local doctors can't do and flying us around in his spare time when we want to island hop. He needs to keep busy when he is here so he doesn't keep bothering me for free investment adivce. smirk

Who knows, he might be a nice guy once you meet him in person. I think there was one person that said that of me. Or maybe that was Pedro 1 they were referring to.

bywarren you need to also google search pilot stastics in addition to the mutual funds. I'm glad you said "stereotypical" doctor pilot reputation. If you take the time to research that issue you will find that the #1 professional group that crash private planes the most are lawyers. The #2 leading group of private plane crashers are commercial pilots! I forget the rest of the order but doctors were way down the list. And yes I'm well aware of the V tailed Bonanza being called the "forked tailed doctor killer" that is one reason why most of my time is in Piper aircract which are known to be more forgiving than the Bonanzas.

And I hope you weren't really trying to take issue with or make fun of my creole daughter. Let's leave her out of any problem you may have with me. Bringing her into our little spat is going too far now!

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/15/08 08:03 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
If you are worried about flying a bonanza I sure wouldn't consider you a prospect for a commercial pilot.
And, I am not making fun of your daughter, you brought her into the discussion - I am making fun of you. grin

Originally Posted by SimonB
This thread brings a thought to mind, the pot calling the kettle black.

Or the pot calling the kettle bi-racial.

Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us
One last bit of info for you to understand that our desire to live there has little to do with money. We recently adopted a creole baby girl.

For the record, and a bit off topic...

One of my cousins and his white spouse adopted one black kid and later found out that the mother had another and wanted to get rid of it. They took his brother as well. I fully respect them and you for taking on the responsibilities of another's offspring and loving them as your own. Add to that the fact that you knew, understood and accepted any difficulties in raising a bi-racial family, you are to be commended.

Incientally, my cousin moved to Paupa New Guinea though not for racial reaons... they are missionaries.

My wife and I had considered adopting and we've even briefly looked into adopting in Belize. It appears it's not really an option at the moment for so many frustrating reasons.

K
K
Never met a lawyer that wasn't first to the scene of the crash...

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
C
C
Belize-N-US
(a quote from I think the owner of Tropic basically bragging that "all our pilots are Belizean")

Tropic Air's present line pilot staff is all Belizean. It is something to brag about.

Very un-likely that a Dr. would meet the necessary requirements / qualifications anyway.

Qualifications for sitting left seat in the Caravan for most carriers of people or cargo is nothing more than a commercial rating and 1200 hrs of total flying time. I am commercial and IFR certified. At one time I was persuing flying cargo part time. There is a check route that flies each evening carrying canceled checks to a storage facility in tha northern portion of the state I was interested in. My instructor had connections with the owner of that service. The Belize pilots that I have flown with have not been IFR certified.

bywarren needs to google flying stats more. A V tail Bonanza is historically unforgiving and the V tail may "flutter" in decent if airspeed is allowed to climb too high. A Caravan is extremely forgiving, has a very slow stall speed and much slower cruise speed than a Bonanza.

"Tropic Air's present line pilot staff is all Belizean."

cracked up, where did this info come from? I too am sure that I read that in a report or news article but I couldn't find it again when trying to rebut bywarren.

Who is right you or bywarren?

bywarren, you may successfully debate me on stocks but airplanes and medicine have been my life for the last 15 years or so.

"If you are worried about flying a bonanza I sure wouldn't consider you a prospect for a commercial pilot."
Since you don't own the local flight services nor control local healthcare then it really doesn't matter what you would consider me a prospect for does it?

And one last point. I'm not "worried" about flying a Bonanza, it's just not the best choice for me to fly my family around in. My Piper Lance is bigger, more stable and more forgiving while at the same time it cruises at a respectable 160 knots thanks to the prevous owner spending a ton of $ having it converted to a LoPresti Lance. I have flown a few times in a Bonanza and also a few in a Mooney, neither of these aircraft were the best/safest/larger cabin aircraft for me at that or this time. A major factor, in addition to the most important factor of saftey, is cost. The complex high performance single is the upper limits of affordability for me.

If I had bywarren's claimed stock buying expertise I might be able to afford more. Heck, then I could just live on the island and gripe about everything like he does.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/18/08 09:12 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Wow, IFR/Commercial, 1200hrs and flys a Lance, 15yr flying. I guess I better defer to Captain Doc on the flying issues. Should have known better with my "limited experience" flying.

And, you could have a little more compassion, especially since you are a doctor. You need not remind me of my "claimed" financial attempts to get by in retirement. I don't normally seek sympathy, but in this case I think I deserve a little. Medicare notified me that I will have to pay the maximum premium just because my AGI was in excess of 2.6 on my last filed tax return. Now how's that for having a bad day? frown

bywarren, my office gets slow during the summer so thanks for helping breakup the boredom!

To clarify: flying for 10 years, medicine 15.

I do have compassion, especially for those like you who have retired to the tropics, have an AGI in excess of 2.6 yet are still obviously bitter about something and like to spend most of their day baiting others into sarcastic aurguments on a vast variety of topics.

Have you considered antidepressants? I have some samples here I can bring to you in July.

P.S. I have no idea what my medicare AGI would be so I'm sorry I can't pull mine out to see who's is longer.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/18/08 10:22 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
See my point above.

It's funny how some people complain about personal attacks and then are quite happy to hand them out.

U
U
bywarren really doesn't know that he doesn't know, so leave him alone.

C
C
Tropic Air line pilots are all born Belizeans.
All Tropic Air pilots have FAA certificates with instrument ratings (4 have ATPs).
Tropic minimums for hire as a direct entry CE208 capt. are: 2500 TT, 500 turbine.

1200 tt is an FAA pt.135 minimum. Very un-likely to get hired into a Caravan with only the minimum flt time requirement.

A side note: Mariom Cole, Duane Cole's brother was hired by BeechCraft in the early 70's to fly a full +G aerobatic routine with V35 Bonanzas to demonstrate that when properly flown, it's a strong, safe aircraft.

Bywarren is a hi-time pilot with experience in many types.

OK you got me on that one Simmon.

But bywarren is really asking for it now. I know you think I am as well but I just respond to others in kind. I'm not very good at turning the other cheek.

You can consider me a hypocrit when you see me hand out a personal attack first. I try to discuss topics here without the sarcasm or personal references, bywarren turn it personal with his statements first.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
cracked up: You forgot to tell him who you are.

S
S
Actually my original point was about the response to the original post. The whole thread has gone downhill from there as far as getting personal.

S
S
Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us

But bywarren is really asking for it now. I know you think I am as well but I just respond to others in kind. I'm not very good at turning the other cheek.

You can consider me a hypocrit when you see me hand out a personal attack first. I try to discuss topics here without the sarcasm or personal references, bywarren turn it personal with his statements first.

Its always someone elses fault- right?

"All Tropic Air pilots have FAA certificates with instrument ratings "

This is not correct. I personally ask each pilot I fly with about their training and ratings not that I'm worried but out of curriousity. Not one Tropic pilot that has flown me reported IFR ratings. I'm sure there some, maybe most, but not "all".

"Tropic Air line pilots are all born Belizeans."

Where does this come from? I'm not disputing this I just would like to know. Bywarren says US and Canadian pilots fly for Tropic.

"Bywarren is a hi-time pilot with experience in many types."
"Very un-likely to get hired into a Caravan with only the minimum flt time requirement."

All pilots start out with "0" hrs. Tropic's and everyone else's commercial pilots started somewhere. Why do you guys think a doctor can't build the hrs and training just like everyone else?

The "flutter" effect of the V tail Bonanza is also well documented. If it was such a great design then why is it no longer utilized? There are T tail Lances also safely flying around today but that design also fell by the waste side for that aircraft.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/18/08 10:49 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
S
S
Oh, you're going to lose this argument big time.

S
S
SHHHHHH....
Hes in waaay over his head now.

About what?

I have asked the pilots about IFR ratings they have told me no. If this is incorrect then why would they tell me no? I don't have any names but I'll get some on the next trip.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
It's not that it's always someone else's fault, it's just that it's never mine.

Whoopps, I need to retract everything I said about him - not sure what was so personal - get on my hands and knees and give a heart felt appology. I never took into consideration getting free drugs. Don't worry about the antidepressents, Doc, the board keeps me from that - just bring the little purple pills so I can quit using popsicle sticks and duck tape. Makes me wonder if it really was worth it when I take the duck tape off.

And, as an offer of truce, I will give you one last bit of free financial advice. Spend less time trying to be Sky King and more time pulling babies from the womb and then maybe you will make your dream in Belize come true sooner. grin

Fighting Flutter
Aerodynamic flutter can develop with great speed and quickly destroy your aircraft. Here's why, and what you can do about it.

Beechcraft's venerable V-tail Bonanza experienced a few flutter-related incidents and accidents before a series of Airworthiness Directives required inspections and strengthening of its empennage.

by Jeff Pardo

You're descending at a relatively high speed in calm air and, since there was no forecast for and little chance of turbulence, you let the airspeed climb into the yellow arc. Then you hear a buzzing noise. You might think that one or more fasteners have come loose, perhaps on the cowling-or you might imagine a bee, wasp or some other stowaway insect as the source. One thing is for sure; the sound you hear probably isn't a stuck microphone. So what's going on? Well, you had better slow down, because that buzz you hear could be your ailerons about to go fully into "auto-flail mode."

�

The V-tail Bonanza came under close scrutiny in the mid-1980s following a series of in-flight breakups. Several airworthiness directives were issued and a special study was done by the FAA and the Department of Transportation, which resulted in a stabilizer reinforcement kit at the root of the V-tail. After the installation of the kit, the in-flight breakups decreased dramatically.

It should be noted that the V-tail Bonanza's center-of-gravity envelope is relatively narrow, and loss of control with aft CG in IMC conditions could be contributing factors in several of these accidents. Additionally, the balancing of the tail control surfaces is critical to avoid aerodynamic flutter. Unbalanced control surfaces continue to cause problems, so it is essential, after the aircraft is painted or work done on the tail, to check that the surfaces are exactly in tolerance.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 06/18/08 11:45 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Not trying to be "Sky King" and never have been. Just wanted to do something else that I loved and find a way to offset the extreme expense by maybe flying some cargo part time. Flying pipeline in a 150 does not appeal to me.

Purple pill? That's Nexium, won't help with the duct tape and popsicle stick issue. You mean the blue pill don't you? Which can be bought local without a script for 1/2 the price of here. But you knew that didn't you?

Truce accepted if you mean that.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
I probably need that one too. That look on my face is from my last meal. Not from my last use of the popsicle sticks thank goodness. grin

E
E
I may be wrong here (Im sure I'll find out) but when I received my commercial rating, after the required training and passing test, I also received an instrument rating. Does it not work that way any longer?

I think all Tropic pilots are IFR rated but are probably not current.

Last edited by immissing; 06/18/08 01:07 PM.
Different training and different tests. One is a certificate, commercial, and one is a rating, instrument. You are licensed to get paid i.e fly for hire, with a commercial license/certificate. Rated to fly in instrument conditions with instrument rating. Boy, I hope I'm right on that, or you know who is going to let me know.

Also for cracked up, isn't it true now that Belize no longer accepts US pilots licenses reciprocally, that you must pass the Belize tests to be hired in Belize?

Last edited by bywarren; 06/18/08 01:38 PM.
E
E
bywarren, you are correct as usual. Thats what I was trying to say but not as clearly as you.

C
C
Belize issues a Validation based on any ICAO recognized certificate/license after the Belize Airlaw test and a check ride by a designated examiner is passed.

With only 1 nav aid and only 2 VOR approaches, It is very difficult in Belize to maintain IFR currency. 6 month flight checks are given. Though not required, demonstration of basic IFR skills are part of the Tropic Air checkride.

Sure has a lot to do with offshore savings plans.

E
E
Cracked up, I agree with your summation. Rated but not current. No way to be current when not flying in IFR conditions.

C
C
As far as Tropic (and other operators in Belize) pilots having instrument ratings, it has been a requirement for at least the past 20 yrs.
A commercial certificate WITHOUT an IFR rating is limited and says it right on the certificate.
Without an IFR rating, #1 pilot would be limited to a 50 mile radius and can land only at the point of departure when carrying passengers. #2 Wouldn't be insurable, even in a 172.

E
E
Crackedup, are you a Tropic pilot. Just curious.

Now immising, one of the advantages of this board is anonymity. If people could figure out who you really are, it would make for less comment. Some like both Pedro's, Amanda, Jesse, Simon and others are just better at picking names that makes it, if not impossible at least extremly difficult, to figure out who you really are. If that were easy, I would have to watch much more closely what I say. wink

And well noted cracked up. No further comment by Wealthy Buyer. Maybe he took offense to the second response to his question which started the topic going in a different direction.

T
T
I wonder if there is any money to be made in hole digging down here. If someone had the aptitude and had demonstrated an ability (even if it was just on a recreational level) it could be a business that could profit perhaps...

C
C
I'm working on my IFR right now, but i'm flying twins so thats a little bit more hmm......complex, hope to one day fly for Tropic/ as well become a citizen of Belize!! ohh and have an offshore bank account.. Are all the foreign pilots gone????

Last edited by CASA DE AMOR 2; 06/19/08 04:45 PM.

E
E
Yo bnu, fyi bywarren's experience in local aviation is exceeded only by his knowledge of same. a partial list of his MANY accomplishments here include piloting the first Beach Barron, Cessna 441, and Mitsubishi MU2 to San Pedro. this at a time when the "airport" was little more than a 2000' sand strip. he also counseled many future San Pedrano pilots and provided medivacs at his own expense. i submit to you sir that bywarren has forgotten more about local aviation than you will ever know, and respectfully suggest that you pick a fight with someone less gracious and knowledgeable.

Wow, someone has a memory that goes back a long way. Although,I am not sure everyone would consider me flying myself back to the States with a hangover to be a medivac. grin

Originally Posted by Wealthy Buyer
Does anyone know of an offshore investment plan that will allow me to put away some money every month into investments such as stock, commodity or real estate investment funds?

Look at this URL. I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.freedomoffshore.com/portableretirementplans.html

SAFE offshore banking for YOU !
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.