Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#287193 07/03/08 12:53 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/03/dlgoogle103.xml

An American court has ruled that all users of YouTube must be identified to it. Which means world-wide.

PEDRO2, those are only 2 private business's. Maybe they are the ones running the world. Goggle and Viacom are awfully BIG! Should have bought stock!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
H
H
Those 2 companies are US based companies. I'm sure they are required to follow the US rule of law. Maybe you can send them an e mail and ask them to relocate their businesses to another country....and then they wouldn't have to abide by US law!

Originally Posted by pedro2
An American court has ruled that all users of YouTube must be identified to it. Which means world-wide.
I don't understand what this sentence is supposed to mean. That an American court is telling people in other parts of the world what to do? That an American court ordered that YouTube users be identified to the court? That's not what the ruling said.

Viacom is suing Google (which owns YouTube) for copyright infringement. Google says they try to remove copyrighted material as soon as they know of its presence. Viacom responds that YouTube videos of Viacom-owned shows have been viewed over 1.5 billion times. Viacom wants access to information on user viewing habits to prove that copyright-infringing material is more popular than user-generated videos on YouTube, and that the reason YouTube permits them to remain online is because their presence increases YouTube's traffic.

The Federal court ordered Google to turn the user info over to Viacom. Google is attempting to get permission from the court to redact user identifying information from the discovery since all Viacom really wants is the veiwing frequency. This request will most likly be granted.

This is a standard discovery request; discovery goes to the requesting party, not to the court. In the event the matter goes to trial some of the general information might become public knowledge, but not info as to any specific user - it simply isn't relevant and isn't even what Viacom wants.

What's the problem with this ruling? How does it constitute the US "running the world?" There are lots of bad things that can be said about the US - but this isn't one of them.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
p.s. - Britans's High Court has made similar rulings:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=39208&c=1

Leah-Ann, I love you!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
H
H
US bashing is always popular sport....even if you don't know what you're talking about! go for it Peter

It's temporary, azbob - you'll get over it just as soon as I express another of my crazy, bleeding-heart, left-wing, liberal opinions. wink

E
E
I cant wait cry

LOL! laugh can't wait for the next liberal rant? or for azbob to get over loving me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.