Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
Me too! My first time. But I can't find the shirt on cafepress.com.

Now live from beautiful downtown San Pedro.
If you did not condone the act of feeding the crocodiles, then why did you not say anything before?

There are countless threads condemming the feeding of crocs and by far the majority of us have spoken out against it AND refuse to support it by not attending the feedings.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
E
E
Wut she said. There, take that .

Unbelievable

The speed of a Croc is lightening fast and the size of those crocs indicates that there is going to be a serious incident if this is not stopped.

I have seen multiple attacks on handlers that have handled crocs for years and years and are way more educated in handling than 13 year olds.

one lost his arm
one lost his hand
and the other one lost his life

It looks like it will take a serious incident before this is taken seriously which is a real shame.

The paper used a sensational story to sell newspapers times must be hard for them but at least now the evidence is there to see and hopefully after the police have taken action as it is a serious issue they will change there tune and apologise.

TO AMBERGRIS TODAY
NO- I have never and never will go watch a crocodile feed.
The Dive shop I go with does not feed the animals.
HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT WE ALL DO.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Since Ambergris Today removed their ridiculous response, I'll post it:
-----------------------------------------------------------
If everybody is so ready to shame Ambergris Today, well why don't we shame all those people who take visitors to Shark Ray Ally? It's the same thing! Having people interact with wild animals. Clearly many of you speak too fast before reading carefully. We all know that this feeding of crocodiles takes place on a daily basis and many people are carrying tourist to this place. I guess shame on all of them too! And I bet most of you who have commented on this message board have one time or another stood by the pond to watch the crocodile being fed. This means that you have contributed to the act and condone the action. We never invited anyone to go feed the crocodiles and never said it was a tourist attraction. We have always warned people of the dangers of feeding these creatures and Debbie took a picture with the crocodile on her own free will. The article quotes - "It is true that these crocodiles are wild animals and the guys that are feeding them make sure that they warn everybody of the dangers of feeding them up close and even touching them. It is made clear to everybody that they are there at their own risk." Our intention was, that if this practice is still being conducted, that a much safer environment be constructed so that these animals are not hurt and to remove any danger to humans. And the Town Council agreed that the area needs to be safer for people to view these creatures. Aren't there crocodile farms and zoos all over the Everglades in Florida and other parts of the world? If you take it another way - Mission accomplished! We have given much attention to the situation to have the proper authorities either shut down the operation or create a proper environment for this to continue. Many of you are too eager to crucify people when most of the time you turn a blind eye on things that you are afraid to comment about. Then when somebody else has the courage to do or comment on something you crucify them. If you did not condone the act of feeding the crocodiles, then why did you not say anything before?

Dorian

p.s. there are many other irresponsible things that people do and everybody accepts it.

E
E
Thanks Dutch, shows were their back bone is.

S
S
Dorian,

Unfortunately your article does not come across that way and comes across a promotion of the activity. Nowhere in the article does it say that it should be shut down until an appropriate facility has been put in place.

I've been quietly pushing for a regulated environment for a long time through letters to forestry and town council and on this site. Having a regulated site would be a great addition to the town but the situation as it is a tragedy waiting to happen.

What happens now with this article, I'm betting that much greater numbers of tourists are going to head down to see this ILLEGAL ACTIVITY and it's just a matter of time before one of those Crocs whips it's head around and kills someone.

I spent 3 years in the Orange Walk District assisting with researchers from Texas Tech and I know firsthand what a split second of inattention can result in, even from a small Croc. Whether they look tame or not they are instinctive animals and are completely unpredictable, they can move at speeds up to 35mph over short bursts and you wouldn't believe the speed of their jaws when they bite. I've seen Croc's grab jumping fish out of the air in the blink of an eye.

If you wanted to do an expose it should have been on how we can build a safe facility for tourists to view the animals in their environment without interference. A Disney sideshow is not appropriate.

The comments about Shark Ray are not relevant, there is too much of "well they did it so I can" already, you only have to look at the actions of some developers recently to see that in action. It's time to grow up and get over that mentality and start working towards a better future.

Simon...

S
S
"If you did not condone the act of feeding the crocodiles, then why did you not say anything before?"

I have, the board has.

My pleasure IM. That is what they sent to my personal email as a response to my complaint. More than one way to skin a cat...but please don't skin a cat...I like cats. The press has a responsibility, and that was completely ignored in this case. I really hope that some type of fine can be levied against them for this. They can't undo the picture that proves harassment of a protected species.

Last edited by Dutch; 07/10/08 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.