Did you look at this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_JbI_d0Xdc

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: spsun] #288519
07/12/08 02:12 PM
07/12/08 02:12 PM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
You are sighting examples of exactly what and why legislation in place of education can lead down a slippery slope.
Although Simon's examples of the need to protect endangered species and your example of the bears both demonstrate valid concerns and the eventual laws.
When I used the analogy of the Blue Hole, some quickly pointed out that was not the same. Now we see that some are using the logic to make that illegal. How about feeding the fish at Hol Chan? Are we not talking similar logic? Then what about chuming for fish when trying to catch them?
My original comments were to try and get those quick to call for legal action against Debbie and the paper to be careful what they ask for as it might end up "biting" them.

Having laws that protect animals from harmful human behavior and laws that protect humans from other humans harmful behavior are appropriate. But laws that penalize people for their own stupid behavior are unnecessary- IMO.

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: bywarren] #288523
07/12/08 03:18 PM
07/12/08 03:18 PM
California
Leah-Ann Offline
Leah-Ann  Offline
I'm pretty much with bywarren on this one. The law already exists; like many laws everywhere it seems to be having little impact. As long as there is demand there will be supply. Since addressing the supply hasn't worked, why not attempt to address the demand? I still like Seashell's idea about posting something regarding this issue in every hotel room. Had we know the facts on our first visit, we would not have participated.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: Leah-Ann] #288541
07/12/08 04:03 PM
07/12/08 04:03 PM
B
BamaB's Offline
BamaB's  Offline
B
Like most here, I've spoken out against this before. In the Everglades & the swamps of the southeast you are fined for feeding alligators and the animal is caught & killed, because once they associate humans with providing food they expect it from ALL humans, whether it's a fisherman or a child playing near the water. They don't beg, they feed. It's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt. The fact that it hasn't happened recently has to be the most ignorant attitude I've ever heard. When we heard about the feedings we avoided the area, not as much as a boycott but just to ensue we didn't witness a horrible incident.
Ask yourself, how would you feel if it were your child risking his life to entertain tourists? Buy some necklaces or carvings from the kids instead, they'll be a lot better off and have more fun doing it.

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: Dutch] #288542
07/12/08 04:11 PM
07/12/08 04:11 PM
I
islandgirl83 Offline
islandgirl83  Offline
I
"We never invited anyone to go feed the crocodiles and never said it was a tourist attraction."
Then please explain what you meant when you published this "Contrary to other reports, I did not see any of these crocodiles being abused! If they were not happy they would not keep coming back.It seems that they have grown used to these boys and even like being fed in exchange for a few photo-ops!"

The article doesn't really go in depth of how dangerous this is.

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: BamaB's] #288543
07/12/08 04:13 PM
07/12/08 04:13 PM
San Pedro
P
pamkillen Offline
pamkillen  Offline
P
I really have not taken tis discussion too seriously until I read the above phrase "they don't beg, they feed" Yipes, that puts it in to perspective. I feel badly for the neophyte reporter. I bet she will be more careful in the future

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: spsun] #288549
07/12/08 04:52 PM
07/12/08 04:52 PM
abita springs, LA
darrin fisher Offline
darrin fisher  Offline
that was my point. that sharks are going thru the exact same thing. there is an area in the bahamas called bull run. its a dive site, there really isnt a big reef system either, just an outcropping and the shark population is huge. the reason is its where all the live aboards bring their divers to see the sharks. chum cicles are used in a lot of instances. our boat captian brought us there but did not feed them. he said it was bringing more sharks to the area that the eco system could not support.

thinking about it now, it makes me wonder how much danger we were in by going down and not having food. my question has been why is this ok with sharks but not with crocs.

i have read simons post and do understand the point of crocs being endangered. i thank him for broadening my view there. but honestly, i do not think that this thread, or the argument it has become, is based on the croc being endangered. this argument has been based between those who view it as dangerous vs those who view it as entertainment. i think the endangered part, though true, is a technicality, as it applies to this argument.

i do understand there are a few who have been bringing up the endangered status of crocs, but not many.

fish

Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: darrin fisher] #288564
07/12/08 07:59 PM
07/12/08 07:59 PM
Mississippi, USA
Belize-N-Us Offline
Belize-N-Us  Offline
To: [email protected]
Subject: Subscription Form

Name: Thomas Blackledge
Company: Medical Center
Street: P.O. Box 748
Address:
City: Magee
State/Province: MS
Zip Code: 39111
E-Mail: [email protected]

Comments: I own property on the south end of the island and have enjoyed your paper / web site for 2 years now.

I feel however that the recent article about croc feeding was VERY irresponsible. The article condoned this illegal and very dangerous activity. The writer also gave the impression that this activity is sanctioned by the deputy mayor.

Sitting on that massive croc and posing for a photo is absolutely one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen.

Since our property is south then we frequently ride by this site during "the feeding". I never stop or photo this activity and I'm forced to explain why each time to my boys who are lead to believe this activity is safe since so many others are doing it.

Children and teens frequently make these type stupid descisions but adults should not. I hope you have the gumption to admit your mistake and issue not only an appology in next weeks paper but also an article to try to deter anyone from participating in this illegal and very dangerous activity.

Thomas Blackledge
001-601-849-1918

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: Belize-N-Us] #288565
07/12/08 08:31 PM
07/12/08 08:31 PM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
OK, were are the 'personal' attact cops ?

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Shame on Ambergris Today newspaper! [Re: Ernie B] #288570
07/12/08 09:25 PM
07/12/08 09:25 PM
T
Texican Offline
Texican  Offline
T
JSB. "poor taste"?
Heavens, that's what has us worried!
Shocked as we are about the abuse of these prehistoric creatures; what really concerns us about our holidays on AC is good taste. What we need here is a comentarist with plenty of time to post, someone who will interpret for the less educated. We engineers, finance experts, physicians and assorted entreprenures need someone to tell us how to arrange and manage our kitchens! We need someone to tell us which wines we enjoy, to arrange the flowers and "do" the ladies hair!

Last edited by Texican; 07/12/08 09:27 PM.
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
January
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Silverado1), 475 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,428
Posts478,632
Members19,578
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.