Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Renee-md #290013 07/23/08 02:28 PM
C
Carib Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I don't mean to sound like I'm ultra-paranoid .... this is a place and latitude to which I've never been ...and I'm doin' some research....

Can't wait to get there...!

"And, Hey Kids..!! Don't Forget to Smash The State!!!"
- Mr. Natural
Carib #290016 07/23/08 03:03 PM
Don't think that at all. It is always good to ask questions about places you have never been. Avoids lots of surprises. You are going to love it. That I can tell you for sure. We were hooked the first time we went!

Renee-md #290027 07/23/08 03:54 PM
everyone has different perspectives on this, if you do a search you'll find there are several threads on the topic. We have taken the anti-malarials any time we are coming for an extended visit and plan to be off the island very much. I am a mosquito magnent and it just wasn't worth the risk for me. Out of the four of us none had any adverse side effects at all, but I have heard complaints about side-effects from others. I don't take them for short trips when I'm not planning on leaving the island.

Deet is still pretty much the best as a mosquito repellant. All the studies I've read say the only difference in terms of percentage is the length of protection; i.e. 4.75% DEET provides about an hour of protection, 23.8% DEET about 5 hours. 100% will protect for up to 12 hours, but you would have to reapply after swimming or bathing anyway and it's pretty harsh stuff so I wouldn't reccomend anything higher than about 30%. We love those OFF towelettes, much easier than a spray. I think everyone agrees you should get the hepatitis innoculations.

I drink the water from the tap, have never had a problem and think it tastes fine. Some will tell you it depends on where you stay.

Everyone travels differently - do what you need to do to put your mind at ease and then go with an open mind. You'll have a great time!

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Leah-Ann #290029 07/23/08 03:59 PM
T
T
Go with the 98.6% Max Deet stuff. You might grow some kind of mutated second head growing out of your neck, but you won't get bitten by anything.

Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!
www.ThreePalmsProperties.net
LA has a good point about everyone traveling differently. i drank the tap water at banana beach, but NO WAY at cloisters. not an issue of taste, but where it comes from and how it's filtered.

i have heard to use anti-malaria stuff if going south around punta gorda, and would if going there. i would not bother for cayo, but that's me.

E
E
I've never had a problem with the water but have only used it for showers and brushing my teeth.

Perhaps the Belikins I drank all of the rest of the time counteracted any little microbial critters.

God Bless The Reef!
ExOkie #290109 07/23/08 10:55 PM
I have yet to taste a bottled water that tastes as good as the rain water here.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #290203 07/24/08 02:24 PM
Carib, I too am ultra-paranoid plus a little neurotic. I took the malaria meds just for peace of mind. Didn't have any side effects. Plus I get to go back in Sept. and not worry.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.