Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
In the recent past we discussed the implementation of impact assessment fees for developers. That ball is in motion and rates are being adjusted since the first assessments were considered prohibitive and would be a large factor in stopping development (not the intention.)

Yes, it would be great if the BTB were to give back a little of its collections back to the communities that generated the income.

It would also be great if a portion the gst & business taxes were left in the community where it is generated.

I pay 15% business tax. Most businesses that I see on the island tend to run between 1.75% and 3%. A few companies run a little higher. I seem to remember that the estimated monthly biz tax & gst combined from the island averages about $60K per month. So even if we kept all of those taxes I find it hard to believe we could manage the town efficiently.

But the vast majority of the people on this island do not pay income tax or business tax. Most of the people on the island either don't work or fall short of the income level where taxes begin being assessed and collected.

Although San Pedro would love to collect all of the tax dollars generated and keep them on the island we also have an obligation to contribute to the rest of the country.

I don't believe we are receiving our fair share of tax dollars. But I also don't believe that new developers and tourist taxes should be the only groups that should be taxed and bear the burden of the necessary infrastructure for this island.

I don't believe that the people that live on this island, that utilize the roads, the services of the police, fire department, health dept etc. etc. should get a "free ride" and look to others (such as new developers and tourists) to pay for such services in full. Some of the responsibility and burden must lie with the general population too.

This bit by Amanda rings true to a great extent - but I still oppose raising any taxes at all unless and until our Central AND Local governments can show a good performance at managing money. Those of us who live here have seen plenty of unjust enrichment and by my guesstimates there was sufficient $ for some infrastructure that went into personal projects like houses in Miami and who knows what.

I totally agree that SP is not getting it's share of the tax dollars - a reassessment of what is really coming in and what is needed for proper governance is the first step - after that you can assess the best and fair way to raise the money.
I just don't think we volunteer to pay more at a time when we are already not getting our share - first transparent assignment of resources and then revision of revenue sources.

OK, Diane: it took you, a California-transplant-liberal, child of the 60's, to bring me back to my conservative principles. That being that private individuals can do better for themselves than government can. I knew there was something I really liked about you, besides being Bob's lovely wife. wink

So how about we expand on what some others did in the past, mostly business people along with a few of us private individuals, that formed a fund to help pay for additional police needs like helping to fund the cost of bringing out the BDF.

Expand on that. It could be called Concerned Citizens for Crime Control, a.k.a. 4C's.
The stated principle would be "4Cing" better crime control. Have a board of directors chosen from RESPECTED members of the community - that is important because it keeps me from having to serve. Stated objectives on how the money would be spent and periodic reporting back to donors the spending. Projects like additional equipment for the police, better living conditions for them, cash rewards for information leading to arrests, etc, anything that the police might need that they are not now getting.

Go to not only businesses, I agree they are paying more than their fair share now, but also to owners like me of condos and homes of hundreds of thousand dollar values and ask for a few hundred dollars donated annually to the fund. Anyone like that who would not cough up a couple extra hundred dollars - the same costs as a couple dinners out - I could have a lot of fun embarrassing.

Do the math. We're talking serious money. Just at Banyan Bay, only one condo development, there are 38 units. At just $300 each that is $11400US. If I donated the $300, I would still be paying along with the tax I now pay, less than 10% of what I pay on like valued properties I own elsewhere.

It is past time to keep talking about how things should be and make something happen. Doing something like this can have immediate results - correcting the "system" might take some time - more time than we might have.

This is the type of talk I like to hear.

A
A
"... private individuals can do better for themselves than government can." == bywarren

That, sir, was the gist of my argument, hence the reason I continue to suggest that you look for relief instead in community controlled private security.

Oh, and Diane, I agree 100000000000% with your post.

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
Yes, thank you I am now realizing that most of my problems will be solved if only I learn to listen more to the opposite sex. wink

Now let's see how the private sector is willing to reach into their pockets without being forced to by government.

S
S
Gee...I thought this would really be a forum to discuss taxes and amenities but it turns out it is just a forum for bywarren, Auxillou and sometimes Scubalady to hash out their political and socialogical differences. Nice going board...

PS..I own two condos there since 2001. Think I might retire elswhere.

Also...my name is Wendy and I do not want to be confused with the Wendy prominently displayed on this thread.

Sorry Wendy spdreamer - I got a little carried away. Don't give up on us - our hearts - if not our minds are in the right place. Read between the lines - we love it here.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
OK, to get more back on track - would you be willing to contribute annually to fund like I am talking about, And if so, how much?

A
A
spdreamer, may I suggest Florida to you? Properties there are currently selling at half price. I, too, would not want to be confused with you.

bywarren, private citizens balk at paying more taxes to the government for the simple fact that it goes into a bottomless black hole. I, personally, don't have the same reservations about contributing to a privately managed fund managed by people I TRUST. I am sure many others feel the same way. And that is the major difference between paying "your" fair share of "private" taxes v public taxes. It's the TRUST factor that makes the difference.

Wendy Auxillou
Auxillou Beach Suites
Caye Caulker, Belize
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
S
S
I would only be willing to contribute to taxes or their equivalent in Belize if a complete audit and attempt to collect back taxes were in place. However, there have been individuals on the island I actually have given money to for their taxes in hopes they would stave off forclosure (extra tips, medicine for the kids..whatever). What really needs to happen is a revision of the whole system...I pay too little as a percentage of income and just plain flat out...However, I paid too much when We bought the property to begin with.

We thought the low property taxes were a result of frequent foreign investment taxes and the money WAS GOING TO SAN PEDRO.

Now What...what about the 32 thousand we gave the government already?

They can't produce infrastructure with that?

Multiply that times the number of condos sold.

Add on the VAT while we are actually there twice a year and tell me we don't pay our fair share of taxes to BZ...We don't pay our fair share to Ambergris Caye...but we have paid at least 7-8 years worth of property taxes already..

We may be due now..to pay more

Wendy from WI

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 262 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.