Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#290595 07/28/08 11:42 AM
G
GoHawks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I know it's been discussed before but after 30 minutes of searching I'm not finding my answers so sorry in advance for the duplicate questions.

First, I need to call the caretaker of the house we're staying at but I'm not sure what city code to use for Ambergris Caye (north end of the town) or a cell phone. I've got the 501 country code but that is it. Can anyone tell me off the top of their head?

Second, I'm trying to decide what is cheaper for calling the US from Belize when we are there next week. We are just looking for a way to check in with our kids a few times. I can roam with T-Mobile for $2.99 a minute or I can bring my unlocked phone down and buy a prepaid Digicel SIM but I don't know their international rates to call the US. So far I haven't had any luck finding the rates here or on their website.

Last year we bought an international calling card that said it worked from Belize but we could never get it to work, ending up paying a fortune to call home a couple of times from those international phones that take credit cards.

Thanks

Last edited by GoHawks; 07/28/08 11:42 AM.
G
GoHawks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I forgot to add. Does anyone know if Verizon Wireless now works on Ambergris Caye?

I actually work for T-Mobile IT and worked for AT&T/Cingular before that and know a bit about cell phone networks. My understanding is that Digicel, the only Cellular network on the island, is all GSM for voice and GPRS for data (same as T-Mobile and AT&T in the states), where as Verizon is a CDMA network, basically incompatible. So, that being said I would assume that it will not work there.

Friends of ours that are coming with us have Verizon and adding an international package so they could call from Belize. I don't think it will work but the rep they talked to said it will. Are there some CDMA towers somewhere that they can hook into to roam down there?

There are CDMA towers and if you have an international plan, it should work fine.

Verizon will work (what I have)....also, I carry a quad band phone and by the Digicell SIM card......works great.

Algae

Old people know more about being young, than young people know about being old!
Verizon will not work as far as calls go but you can text message and there was no additional charges. Worked when we were there in February.

G
GoHawks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for your answers.

Any idea that the per minute rate to the US if you take the cost of the SIM card + the minutes?

Just trying to figure out for a few 5 minute calls if it's worth it to buy the SIM + minutes, or just spend the $2.99 a minute with T-Mobile, or apparently the Verizon per minute charge is only $1.29 a minute, if it works from the island.

after spending $700 on calls in May, next trip we are brigning down the unlocked phone. here is what i copied off the 'net:

Domestic (within belize)
Peak Off-Peak
$0.85 BZD / $0.43 USD $0.60 BZD / $0.30 USD

Peak: 6:00am to 7:59pm
Off-Peak: 8:00pm to 5:59am
International
Calls to... Peak Off-Peak
USA $1.75 BZD / $0.86 USD $1.50 BZD / $0.75 USD
Caribbean, S. America & Canada $2.50 BZD / $1.25 USD $1.90 BZD / $0.95 USD
Mexico & Central America $1.90 BZD / $0.95 USD $1.40 BZD / $0.70 USD
Rest of World $4 BZD / $2 USD $3.50 BZD/$1.75 USD

G
GoHawks Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wow, only 0.86 a minute peak to the US, definitely a savings. I think I found the website you referenced, it's telestial. I was on a digicell.bz site where I couldn't find any rates.

If I'm reading the telestial site correctly it's $59.00 for the SIM card + Activation with $10BZ on the account. I'm assuming that $59 is BZ so about $30.00 US. Does that sound right?

Last question, from the San Pedro airstrip, where is the closest place to buy the SIM card and load the account?

Thanks all for their replies

Correct. Just as long as you are here long enough and intend to make enough calls to make it worth it. Remember, you will have to purchase a number(and possibly unlock the phone) which will approximately $50 depending on if you use digicell or smart.

I have AT&T and included international on my monthly plan and I have never had an issue using my phone either making or receiving calls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.