Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hi I posted these thoughts below in the wrong place the other day (ie in a topic that was not originally about this subject) so I am reposting here. The reason I wrote the post was in response to someone who was lamenting that the GOB had not allocated funds in this year's budget for any government works projects here on A.C. It is not intended as a rant, I sincerely would like to try to work on these issues, and would love to combine efforts with others who also interested. I know there have been some other threads in the past where people discussed the topic of waste management, but I don't know if anything came of it.

So here was my other post:

I totally agree - I really wish that they would come up with a better way to deal with the streets on the backside and up north other than throwing some big rocks in the holes and covering over with dirt just to have it become a muddy holey mess with the very next rain fall. So many people are commuting to work everyday from the DFC/San Pablo Area I think they deserve to have their roads fixed properly

Another thing in great need of attention is the garbage situation - I had recently talked with someone who was doing research on the perceived impact of a proposed large development to be done up north South of Bacalar Chico. My take is that if a developer is going to be profiting through a development that impacts the SP environment (ie they are getting something from it), besides being certain that 1) environmental impact is minimized or better yet 2) the development is constructed in a way to protect and enhance the experience of learning about the environment it is a part of, they should also give back to it - why can't the government and such a developer join together to fund the construction of a proper waste management/recylcing plant here on SP? If the design is a mystery, we can canvas universities in US or Europe for graduate students in waste management to come and help design something for credit, simlar to the way I think the design of the new football field/marina happened.

Any thoughts/ideas to add would be appreciated.

Last edited by Keepin'itReel; 08/02/08 12:39 PM.

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
OP Offline
nada nada?? come on we can't just party all the time, or can we wink

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
hey, man. i hear ya...but i don't live there.

can't comment on the streets - looks like it is happening, albeit slowly.

i have thought for some time now that the major developers of some of the larger new 'communities' should be responsible - to some degree - to help manage the waste...ALL types of human-produced waste. agree not fair to just take the money and run...should have some responsibility to manage the infrastructure, as they are helping to bring all the new folks there.

JMHO. good luck!

An option for new developments http://www.wastewatergardens.com/

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

tacogirl, how is the road between Ritchies and the bridge. Are they finished putting in the water and sewer lines. The road was so bad when we were down in March & April that we would have to take the beach from Wet Willies to the bridge....is the beach still accessable for that stretch.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I have spoken with some folks on the island about utilizing prisoners to mitigate the trash problem. It would serve two purposes,
1. Clean the streets 2. Send a message to future bad guys.
Put them in pink jumpsuits for further deterrent.
Give them an hour off of their sentence for each 8 hours worked.

Ever watch the big fires we have in California on the news? The guys in bright orange jumpsuits are all state prisoners. They cook and clean at base camps, cut fire line by hand, do preventative forest work, etc. Same idea.

The old "chain gang" idea.....the county I live in uses low risk prisoners to clean up the side of the roads......clean roads and it gives them something to do instead of watching TV and eating bonbons.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Originally Posted by reaper
I have spoken with some folks on the island about utilizing prisoners to mitigate the trash problem. It would serve two purposes,
1. Clean the streets 2. Send a message to future bad guys.
Put them in pink jumpsuits for further deterrent.
Give them an hour off of their sentence for each 8 hours worked.

Ever watch the big fires we have in California on the news? The guys in bright orange jumpsuits are all state prisoners. They cook and clean at base camps, cut fire line by hand, do preventative forest work, etc. Same idea.

This is how they used to punish us in high school - minus the pink jumpsuits.

The whole town would know if you were on detention because you are miserably walking around picking up trash! Yes, I spend many an hour serving my time.

That is why I am such a good upstanding citizen today!!

Loansum I will let you know soon as I head that way - last sunday when we went north we took the beach up to Boca Del Rio park and by passed the main road.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.