Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#293077 08/14/08 11:53 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I've been doing a bit of research, and I am trying to find some affordable insurance for my husband and myself while we are living in Belize. We go back to Canada for around 2-3 months a year, but have become non-residents of Canada so no more free health insurance! Being Canadians, we are not really used to health insurance so any tips, hints, or companies that are the best, would be greatly appreciated!

Universal hospital in Belize is offering a plan. One of the members here uses them and is very happy. Do a search as I do not remeber who it was.

C
OP Offline
C
I would also like to be covered when i go back to canada for visits.

Slightly off the topic, but I'm curious.

What happens to local non-expat Belizeans that end up in hospital? How is their care paid for? i.e. In the case of an emergency need for surgery, heartattack, stroke and the like?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
Universal's health plan ended some months ago. It is back to pay as you go. It is very reasonable compared to Canada and the States.

Reasonable how? If a young person gets injured on the job, or whatever and ends up in hospital needing leg set, or stitches, or someone is in a car accident and needs surgery, how do they pay as they go, on local's wages?

JZB Offline
http://www.imglobal.com/

We use this company but have never needed to make a claim so I can't comment on how easy/difficult they are to work with. They provide coverage worldwide including emergency medical evacuation in case you need to be airlifted to the US.

SS - I think for workmans comp-type cases (hurt while on the job), Belize has a social security system that kicks in, assuming contributions were made on behalf of the worker. I don't know what exactly is covered (medical expenses, lost wages, etc?), but contributions made to the system are based on the amount of employee's wages.

Canuckgirl if you ever had to go back to Canada in case of medical emergency you could likely pay your way up to date on ohip and be seen our friend here had a friend who did that.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Thanks cakelee, that answers part of the question (with regard to workers with paid up comp). What about someone in a car accident that doesn't have comp, only the low hourly wages of a job they are no longer able to work? What happens when they end up in hospital requiring surgery?

Canukgirl, perhaps it is different in Ontario, but in Alberta, you need to live in the province for 3 months before you are eligible for AHCI. That said, once you have lived here for those 3 months, you can apply to recover any out of pocket medical expenses you incurred during the waiting period.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.