Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I know that when we used to stay in Baja California many medicines that are Rx only in the states were available over the counter in the pharmacies...is this also the case in Belize? In particular the medicine that I'm interested in finding out about is Imitrex...for Migraines. I know that in Mexico I was able to get a 'generic' imitrex tablet without RX...which was helpful! I know that the US is one of the last countries to allow a generic for Imitrex...but that it will still be a prescription only medicine still, even as a generic. Does anyone out there on AC know if it is available 'over the counter' in SP?

"Sometimes I go this way, sometimes I go that way-but it's always MY way!" LOL! "Cheshire" in CA
Best Migraines medicine I have found so far is a liquid called Dolaren.

This works GREAT for hubby and brother-in-law who suffers from Migraines.

E
E
Gotta love American medicine. Big Pharma throws hundreds of millions of dollars in campaign donations and as a result we have to go to Canada or Mexico (or Belize) for cheap meds.

Sorry if this should have been posted in the chat section but it's a sore spot for me.

God Bless The Reef!
I checked out a couple pharmacies when I was there, and my impression was that the selection was at least comparable to Mexico pharmacies, and possibly more extensive. I was impressed. If you need Imitrex and found a generic in Mexico, you might find one in San Pedro also, but to be safe why not get a prescription and bring it with?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
I work in the medical field here in the US. Its my understanding that the medicines found outside of the USA as in Mexico..not sure about Belize...are not as potent as the ones in the USA. They go by the same name but not the same. The physicians/hospital I work for tell patients all the time that it is not recommended to buy meds in other countries and they are not governed by the FDA. I havent lost a patient yet that I know of that bought meds from outside the country.

Can you get that in San Pedro? The dolaren that is.

Last edited by cherylvalentine; 08/17/08 11:07 PM.

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
"I work in the medical field here in the US. Its my understanding that the medicines found outside of the USA as in Mexico..not sure about Belize...are not as potent as the ones in the USA. They go by the same name but not the same. The physicians/hospital I work for tell patients all the time that it is not recommended to buy meds in other countries and they are not governed by the FDA. I havent lost a patient yet that I know of that bought meds from outside the country."

Not true. It's the same medicine in generic form. It's a fact that the drug companies charge different whole sale prices for different parts of the world. Also true though is many of the "cheap" medicines purchased in Mexico / Belize / Guatemala are generic older meds that are also "cheap" here in the US if you ask for generic.

One problem in Belize is availability. Not every drug you want or need will be available. If a HA is going to ruin your trip then take some with you. If you find some Imetrex it may be cheaper or even about the same price as US prices. If cheaper then load up on it and bring it home with no worries.

For clarification, the "not true" part was reffering to the lower dose statement. The miligram dosages are printed on the packaging just like in the US. The FDA is a US agency and does not monitor drug sales outside of the US, that part is true. FDA regulations are a two edged sword, helping to protect but also driving up cost, delaying new drug use, ect.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 08/18/08 08:21 AM. Reason: clarification

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
There is a migraine drug here that costs about $1.80 BZ for four tablets called Avamigrain. (I may not have spelled it oorrectly). Having suffered with migraines for years, these are a lifesaver. You take one at the first sign of a migraine, and you don't get it.

I don't think this is available in the US, and if it is, you can't buy it over the counter like you can here. Imitrex is available, but as was said before, not always available, and also expensive.

My thought has always been that the drugs here are primarily manufactured in Mexico and Guatemala, and due to the large and powerful pharma lobbying group in the US, are not available there, but have the same generic qualities. I mean, if that's not the case, why all the fuss in the US about people buying "cheap" drugs in Mexico? I know they want to complain that they are not "FDA" approved, but my suspicion has always been that the big Pharma companies are not getting their share, and we all know how broke thay all are......

Change your Latitude
The hubby is a pharmacist, so my limited knowledge is overhearing him tell others, so please don't take this as 100% accurate medical information.

If we need medicine in Belize, he goes to the pharmacy, so I would agree with BNUs about equal strength and the medicines being safe for the most part. However, my understanding is that generics must have the same strength of active ingredient as their brand names BUT can have different inactive ingredients. For example, the hubby uses a brand name eye drop here in the US, but the generic equivalent is not as soothing to him because it is a thinner solution and doesn't coat the eye as well as the brand name.

Also, sometimes the inactive ingredients may make a difference because they can react with individuals differently. I think this is the reason why doctors suggest that patients who start on one version of warfarin (blood thinner) stick to that certain medication (if it is working), instead of switching to another brand/generic. Again, please don't use me as a medical reference - just another opinion!

i read with interest: i take a med that costs me a few hundred per Rx - anyone know if there is a generic for Asacol available down there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.