Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#294335 08/22/08 10:22 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Our mother/grandmother, at 82,has decided she'd like nothing better than to revist her old stomping grounds in Belize. In 1941, mama spent the summer teaching English as a Church of England missioner. Her Episcopalian Sunday School class visited again in 1966. She's done her research and intends to visit Belize City, Belmopan and Dangriga, and wants to see as many birds and animals as possible. She's tentatively programmed this trip for March 2008. She's a brittle diabetic, yet otherwise spry, still drives herself everywhere. Who can we contact to arrange this?

Sorry to tell you but she missed her flight.... hee hee smile couldn't resist.. I assume you mean March 2009.
I hope to be as adventurious as she is when I am 82. Can't help with who to contact but I am sure others can come to the rescue. There are a couple 'travel agents' who frequent the board and I understand they know their stuff.
Keep us posted.
Gail

Last edited by gailtor; 08/22/08 10:26 PM.
T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
She has no illusions about driving in Belize...gotta have a good insured/bonded driver and automobile coming and going...reliable/attentive/comfortable

M
M
Hi All,

This is my first post as I have just joined. I have met a couple from this area a few years ago, and the way they spoke about home, made me eager to visit. I am a retired senior, and had to retire because of my hearing loss, which I suffered after two air plane trips. Each time I lost hearing in my right ear, and the other time in my left ear. I was on blood thinner for a year and had to remain calm and rested,to avoid a stroke. It did not help so I had surgery on my right ear to see if there was a hole in my ear drum, but there was not. I now wear two digital hearing aids, and I am taking ASL Sign Language which I enjoy. I say all of this because I would like to know if I can sail to the island instead of taking a plane, which I no longer do.

I can still hear if people speak slowly, with a moderate tone. Loud, is not good as there is an echo with loud voices. The voices of men are the most difficult, because I lost the base portion of my hearing. High pitch sounds are better for me.

I just want to enjoy a relaxing vacation, where the hustle and bustle is what I can leave behind, here in Los Angeles. Any information on my survival, with the outline of my problem I have written, will be appreciated.

I have a cell phone, but it is for emergency use. If only for me to let someone know I am in danger. Even if I cannot hear their response, I can tell them where I am, and they can come for me.

It is not my nature to complain, because I cannot argue with fate.

I love the expression I have read here regarding, .."not waiting for the storm to pass...." I wish I knew who wrote it because it is so beautiful, there should be an authors name attached.

My spelling is not perfect so please excuese my errors, there is no spell checker here

R
R
Melodie, I respectfully have to inform you that I know of no good option for you to get to Belize without flying. Would you be traveling alone or with another senior?

Over the road would probably not be a good idea for a senior. There are plenty of stories about the adventure of traveling to Belize by road but I would be reluctant to suggest that for you. Maybe there is a bus all the way but I think that may not be the relaxing trip that you would like. Lan Sluder would know more about this I would imagine.

Sailing here is done often but I don't think you meant "sailing" like on a yacht. There are freighters who come to Belize City and they might carry a few passengers. One time I was going to take one from New Bedford to the Azores, I don't think that particular one runs any more but there might be one out of Florida to Belize. Anyway that could also be a problem because you need transportation both ways and they are generally only in port a few days. There are cruise ships which include Belize as one of their stops.

I had some wonderful times years ago in Ensenda and I understand it is nice in Cabo San Lucas. That might be a little more do able for a person with your needs. Belize is great and especially San Pedro but it can be a little rugged and personal comfort at all times should be a concern for you. I wish you luck and hope that you can find a safe way to make it to Belize. I'll be paying attention, I'm somewhat hard of hearing now from working in noisy power plants all my life and I'm getting along in years. Be careful and good luck again.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
T
Texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Melodie,
You might like to check with agents who specialize in rail travel. AMTRAK serves Los Angeles as well as numerous ports of call for cruise ships sailing the western Caribbean. It IS possible to leave a cruise and join another for the return trip.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.