Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Carnival Fever Begins to Sweep the City
posted (August 27, 2008)

[Linked Image] The Carnival road march 2008 will take to the city's streets on September 6th and the frenzy of activity started in earnest this week. That's when feverish activity overtakes the mas camps, and there is dancing in the street at each band's headquarters. Linda Blease, who will be co-hosting this year's live carnival coverage on Channel 7, went to two of the junior camps last night and the she found an impressive energy level.

Linda Blease Reporting,
Smiles like these and rags waving mean that carnival season is in swing. And if you don't believe that carnival spirit is something real, you just need to watch these children of Black Pearl and you'll know that Carnival Day can't come soon enough.

Those too small to go on bad in the street did their thing on the side. And while it may have looked like chaos it is contagious, even I got into it.

[Linked Image] Kendra Buller, Black Pearl
"Right now we are 85 strong in the Black Pearl junior band. Right now we are enjoying ourselves at mas camp, excited about carnival 2008 and Black Pearl junior band is going to come out with a blast. We are here to defend our title this year."

At Black Pearl, there wasn't that kind of pavement chaos. Revelers rehearsed their steps with Carnival veteran Marina Welcome directing traffic.

[Linked Image] Marina Wellcome, Jump Street
"We got the moves, trust me Jump Street Posse has the moves for this year and the kids are very hype. Come Saturday they don't have to ask where is Jump Street Posse, they will see Jump Street Posse form a distance."

And from a distance, you will also see the costumes

Kendra Buller,
"As you can see we have a lot of beautiful colors this year, look at your hat, beautiful. We're doing summer time in Belize this year. We have the sun in summertime, the rain in Belize, and combined with that we have an array of colors which brings the fun. So the sun, the summertime and the rain brings the fun in carnival."

Marina Wellcome,
"This year we are doing Belize our nation and we is dedicated to Andy Palacio. He is our Belizean icon so we cannot forget about him. We are portraying the Chinese revolution which is the first section. The second section is the God of destruction because they are killing out the Indians with robberies, murders, and fires. And the third section is southern paradise, that is portraying Dangriga."

But Carnival isn't about costumes, it's about the spirit that these children carry, because as long as children are dancing in the streets there will be a carnival.

The revelry at the mas camps continues tonight at Jam Jam Posse, Southside Masqueraders and Belizean Legacy.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=12051

Live and let live
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
Carnival Heats Up
posted (August 28, 2008)

[Linked Image] The Carnival road march isn't until September 6th but carnival fever is sweeping the city. Last night the senior bands grabbed the spotlight. There are 7 bands competing and three of them had mas camps last night. 7NEWS was in the middle of the action and Keith Swift has the story.

Natasha Miguel, Southside Masqueraders

"Trust me, you have to have a lot of energy for this thing yah."

And last night there was no shortage of energy on Mayflower Street as Natasha Miguel and the Southside Masqueraders partied in the yard - and then they took it to the street and in fact, took over the street - like only how the Southside Masqueraders can.

[Linked Image] Suzette Marsden, Southside Masqueraders
"Very very excited, this is not my first year. I di dance from I was five."

Keith Swift,
Will carnival be hype this year?

Suzette Marsden,

"Yes, especially when it comes to Southside Masqueraders because only we mek the carnival live every year. Southside Masqueraders all the way."

Natasha Miguel,
"I feel very good, I feel excited. I've been dancing bout 4 years, 5 years now."

Five years later - the Southside Masqueraders have gotten a makeover in the name of new leader Pauline Bradley. She says leadership is the only thing that has changed.

Pauline Bradley, Band leader - Southside Masqueraders

"This year our theme is old Belize. The reason why we're doing old Belize is we want to take a lot of youths back to time when Belize was Belize. In school and when you were in primary school they didn't tell you about how Belize got its name and that is one of our idea this year."

Natasha Miguel,
"We wah hype this year and we definitely make sure we come in first this year."

And hype took on new meaning on Pickstock Street - at the mas camp for Jam Jam. There it was more like madness.

Kimbolean Vernon, Jam Jam
"Excited, I can't wait til the day. You know, any carnival group out there, bring it on carnival day because I got it for you."

Keith Swift,
How long you've been dancing in carnival?

Kimbolean Vernon,
"From since I was like 7 years old."

[Linked Image] Keith Swift,
What you like about carnival?

Kimbolean Vernon,
"The costumes, the colourful costumes, the dancing, the excitement - you just get to show yourself, be yourself."

Annika Hill, Jam Jam
"I am poytraying Beatrice, Queen of the Wildness. So I want to tell the ladies them that I am representing them. We stay home we wash, we clean, we cook, we take care of pickney so let them put on their makeup, put on their dancing shoes, and come out let us party like there is no tomorrow."

Keith Swift,
You ready for carnival?

Annika Hill,
"Of course."

This year will be Jam Jam's second appearance.

Alma Gabourel, Band Leader - Jam Jam

"We wah try do a thing out there. Well this year our theme is the different stages of life; freedom, wildness, and depression and you are seeing the colors. The pink and white is for the wildness, the red white and blue is for the freedom and the black and purple is for the depression."

And from a crowd of many on Pickstock Street to a group of few on Blue Marlin Boulevard at the mas camp for Belizean Legacy. It will be their debut.

[Linked Image] Jessel Lauriano, Bandleader - Belizean Legacy
"Belizean Legacy is a newly formed band. I decided to form this band because it has been a while since carnival has been up to what it was eight years ago and I think we as the youths can bring back carnival as it was eight years ago hence the reason the name Belizean Legacy came about because we want to continue the legacy that once was.

Our theme is legacies of Belize. We know every year when people do carnival they always do the Greek Gods or stuff from other places and Belizean Legacy is about Belize so we have decided that Belize has many mythical creatures like Tataduhende and that is what our theme is based on."

And while the bands partied in the streets like carnival was tomorrow - it isn't. That's actually a good thing since the bands are on over drive preparing.

Jessel Lauriano,
"Well I have sleepless nights and stressful. I think sleepless nights and stressful is what describes it the best."

Keith Swift,
Have the finances been easy to come by?

Jessel Lauriano,
"Actually I have like say four small sponsors, people that sponsor but with small donations but we're thankful for them anyway."

Pauline Bradley,
"We're going very slow but I think we'll finished by now and the 6th."

Keith Swift,
What has delayed you guys?

Pauline Bradley,

"Funds, money. We haven't done any fundraising. We have a lot of support, especially from our family and one thing I would like to, the two main companies I would like to big up are Simon Quan and Benny's, they've been there for us big time."

Alma Gabourel,
"Every night we have camp. We're open all day actually and people, some of them come in to help."

Keith Swift,
Why are you in it?

Alma Gabourel,
"For the love of it, you have to love carnival to do what you do for carnival."

And that love was evident last night.

The fun continues tonight at mas camps for Erotic Mas Band, Mother Nature's Creation, Eternity, and Black Pearl.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=12064

Live and let live
Carnival road march tops list of weekend activities

Saturday's carnival road march is not the only event causing excitement this weekend. Luckily, Safiyyah is here to fill us in on what's happening in Belize over the next couple days.

Hey, I'm Safiyyah and this is What's Happening Belize, September edition.

For all the music lovers out there, tonight Sound Fest 2008 will be held at the Belize City Center at seven p.m. There will be live performances and a wide variety of Belizean artists. So if you're looking for somewhere to head tonight, head out to the City Center, it's definitely the place to be.

Well, we've been counting down the days till carnival and it's finally here. Tomorrow is the big day. Carnival starts at one p.m. If you are not able to check out the road march, tune in to Channel Five. We're bringing you live coverage of the carnival moment to moment.

Even before the official road march begins, you can join in on the fun of the carnival J'ouvert, traditionally held on the morning before the carnival, four a.m. to be exact. So if you're able to, you should definitely get out of bed for this.

Well, I've told you what you can do before the carnival. Let me tell you can do after. The Youth got the Future is having a block party immediately following the carnival this Saturday. We spoke to one of the coordinators and she had this to say.

Gail Escarveta, Coordinator, Y.F.F. Block Party
"We decided this year to start an after carnival bash. It will start immediately after the carnival celebrations right out at our headquarters on Youth for the Future Drive. We have nuff entertainment. We have Supa G, Artist of the years; Burne, Energy God; we have Dignitaries. Supa G will be backed up by Danger Zone. We also have the legendary Chico Ramos and it will be fun. Just invite everyone to come out. Entrance fee; adults five dollars, kids under twelve free. So come out Belize. Come out carnival, the theme Jump up and Stamp out Crime". Like the theme says, jump up and stamp out crime."

Lincoln Kelly, Youth Officer, Y.F.F.
"We just want to tell all the youths out there to come out and have some good, clean fun. We wah have drinks and food out there on sale and this is like a fundraising for us because we find out that when we are in the office all the time a lot of youths come in wid all kinda different needs and one ah di main needs dah financial needs and dis dah one ah di ways how we could raise wah lee finance so dat we could address some ah di needs ah di youths dehn todeh."

Since I won't be with you again until after the tenth, let me tell you about some activities that you can join in on leading up to and on the actual tenth day. On the ninth there will be a fire engine parade through the streets of Belize City. So your entire family can stand on the principal streets and enjoy the fun starting at seven p.m.

If you are in the Orange Walk are or feel like taking a ride up there, check on the ninth night celebration at the Savannah Wild Splash. Although Savannah is best known as a water park, they are having something extraordinary for the ninth. They will be having a dinner and a comedy and dance show special. So if you're in the area make sure you check that out, cost is ten dollars.

On St. George's Caye Day, tenth of September, make sure you go over to the Memorial Park, here in Belize City, for the official ceremony and crowning of the new Queen of the Bay. The traditional citizen's parade will be immediately following the ceremony through the principal streets of Belize City. There will also be parades in Belmopan, Dangriga, San Ignacio, Corozal, Punta Gorda, San Pedro and Orange Walk. If you're looking for somewhere to go after the parade here in Belize City, then check out the Bird's Isle.

Ok, my time is winding down but before I go, I want you to mark down this date on your calendar. On the twelfth of September there will be a balloon drop inside Magnet's Lounge in Orange Walk with great prizes. I'll give you more details on than next week.

Okay guys, have a wonderful weekend and a wonderful holiday and stay safe. Bye.

Channel Five's coverage of the carnival also begins at one. It should be note that the march will end at the Marion Jones parking lot and not the BTL Park as was previously reported.

http://www.channel5belize.com/#a12

Short Offline OP
OP Offline

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.