Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Isn't "Pre Construction Financing" just another term for a developer that doesn't have the money? The scam is to to take money from investors and, after enough investors are gathered 1) build what they say they're going to build (unlikely), or 2) run off with the money. Most investors do due diligence and wouldn't be so foolish to drop $50,000 down in their own country--why would they do it in a country that doesn't have any regulatory body over their real estate agents? There are SO MANY "Pre Construction Financing" scams in San Pedro. One they're selling land that they don't even own, and is a part of the natural reserve that will destroy the local eco system. Look for proof in the scams and see how many developments have been "in process" for YEARS and they're still far from completed. They're destroying the beauty of the area and, after they've sold the integrity out of the place as has happenend in Cancun, they'll run back to the U.S. or Canada--with your money. Does anyone else on the ground agree, and isn't there anything that can be done to put an end to charlatan real estate developer/agent scammers?

Are you involved at all politically?

Advocate for your position. Advocate for those that feel the same way you do. Make your voice heard. Organize people to do the same.

Go to the meetings that are scheduled by the BTB, SPBA, political entities, as well as others that may have any bearing on your topics of interest. Have your facts together. Speak up during public comment sessions. Go to board meetings - if only to be seen - it will make it known that someone is watching.

The only voice heard is the voice that speaks to the people that make the rules. Rumblings and grumblings won't make a difference unless they are done in an organized manner with the "people that matter" listening. In other words: GO TO THE MEETINGS.

I say these things as a person that has to deal with people that rumble and grumble, but won't speak up when it counts. I am on the school board and always hear everything third party, gossip style. I want and need facts to direct my decisions not hearsay and opinion.

Good luck!

It's great to be .....

B
OP Offline
B
To answer, no, I am no involved politically here. However, there is a large expatriate community that is but, like it or not, they're not in control. Permits are granted by those in power who are eager to take money into their pocket and sell out their own community. Think of the politicians last election who were giving away property for votes, or paying for travel to get people to vote in their districts. Another evidence, the dredging that was done in front of Belize Yacht Club. Works begun, destruction caused for months, and then it was revealed they had no permits and was shut down. How did they get to operate in the first place. Another example, Sands Villas dumping rubbish for many months as fill which was not only unsightly, but will be a detriment to anyone that buys there as the area settles. People are getting away with what they are allowed to get away with, and it's also at the hands of people paid to turn their backs. I think it's called corruption where I come from.

So my next series of questions: How do you suppose this issue should be addressed and corrected? What is your proposed course of action? Is sitting back, chattering amongst yourselves helping?

Corruption as you put it is not indigenous to your area. It can be found anywhere there is power and power brokers. Power can beget corruption. That is not to say that all "power" is corrupt.

How we combat it is what makes the difference.

It's great to be .....

B
OP Offline
B
Were you aware of the effects to the environment on the dreding in front of Belize Yacht Club? What did you personally do about it? Were you aware of Sands Villas as well as the local community using the area in front of the construction as a dump site? As this went on for months, what did you personally do about it? Were you aware of the land for votes scheme employed in the last election, and what did you personally do about it? Nothing. As a community, we can't even get Saga Humane Society to efficiently address the concerns of the dogs and cats on the island--and you think we're going to stand up to million dollar investors? Do you personally think the Reef Village, South Beach, and Islands of San Pedro developments are a good thing, and what are you doing about it?

S
S
You opened yourself up on that one. You are here in Belize and terrielin is just a visitor, what are you doing about it? There's no problem with venting here but it doesn't accomplish much. Call into the Morning Show with your concerns, that's where your voice will be more effective.

"we can't even get Saga Humane Society to efficiently address the concerns of the dogs and cats on the island." I assume that you've done everything that you can to help them with the issue? Things like donating land and food to house and feed the strays they pick up, assisting in spay/neuter programs, helping with vacination drives, fundraising, etc..

B
OP Offline
B
The island is eager to have Saga run efficiently, and of course in your position on the board you'll want to defend it. The fact is that Saga is riddled with infighting. The very fact that this is the only thing YOU pick on is because it relates TO YOU. My complaint about all this development is that it's too big for anyone of us to get on the Morning Show because we're being sold out. The mentality is that if I get $1000 to sell out my neighbor, I'll do it.

S
S
Actually I have nothing to do with Saga at this time. Just making an example of someone complaining about something but not willing to do anything to help the problem.

you state "the fact is" however I don't have anything to find this statement to be based in actuality. What makes it a "fact"? Where is the proof of your statement? I am not on the board of anything in SP or on AC or even in BZ, just an interested observer who just happens to be on a board where I live in the US.

It's great to be .....

B
OP Offline
B
My dog is spayed. I keep my dog on a leash. My dog is current on all shots. My charitable contributions can go elsewhere as the community, in general, does not ensure their animals are leashed, immunized, or unable to procreate freely. Does the current state of saga have anything to do with your tenure? Just a question. Maybe not a fact, but a general perception...and that's all a reputation is based on, perception.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.