Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
It's obvious everyone is far too concerned jusifying their own position and agenda by mudslinging to address serious issues pertaining to the environment and the well-being of the community. Activism gets nowhere if all the participants do is attack one another, rather than the issue at hand. The forum is about South Beach. MY concern is that it will disturb the ecosystem and place unreasonable stress on a community that is already struggling with infrastructure. My opinion is that it's solely to the advantage of the developer, and not the community. Stick to the issue.

WTF? i actually think the above statement is right on. go figure.

in addition, with all the shops, eateries and so on planned for SB, i really doubt SPtown will see too much tourist $ from that type of tourist. i believe much of the $ will stay right there in SB.

remember that group who was appalled by the *GASP* poverty in SP? the type of tourist SB may attract might get upset if they get their designer cruise-wear dirty. best to stay on the property where it is sterile & safe. don't bash me - JMO.

P
P
Assuming they fly into SP airstrip, how will they get to SB? The road is never good and is often atrocious, and of course it goes past places that these people may find unseemly! Going by boat has its issues too.

Does anyone know if this public meeting will ever take place?

When (if) it takes place, it might be a good idea for board members to wear lapel badges with their AC.COM user names. I for one would love to see some of the people who post here in the flesh!

Last edited by Protech; 09/03/08 09:58 AM. Reason: added comment
Amen to boastcameraman; no bashing and focus on the issue!

The proposed project is way too big for the fragile ecosystem we have here. Even when this project is not intended to happen, as many think, it should not be approved.

TrueLover, I seriously doubt that you have really gone into the mangrove to see what's out there. Your claim that the mangrove is like a desert is ridiculous. Ask Esteban to take you out one day. The Mangrove is a valuable ecosystem, and keeps our island alive!

Live and let live
T
T
Originally Posted by Belize-N-Us
Not at all, I think the quote below was about people who live there but make their living via the internet and may or may not have a work permit. They may or may not pay taxes to Belize on their internet income. That certainly had nothing to do with me. How about you?!?

" Telecommuting does not exempt one from requiring proper labor and immigration status. Onshore Belize is not a commercial free zone. "

this thread is about a Public Meeting regarding a proposed development on the island. It's not about telecommuting, tax paying or about the axes you have to grind with other board members... please try to stay on topic.

B
B
Again, the request to stick to the issue, and two of the recent posters CONTINUE to make digs at others, attacking about "you don't really know the mangroves," or "telecommuting and taxes." No one nothing gets done. You're all too busy attacking one another. No wonder know one wants to get involved or stick their neck out an issue. They're going to get attacked personally about paying taxes, or not knowing the community. Geesh! Okay, it's about South Beach. Stick to it. Good or bad?

T
T
From the San Pedro Business Association:

Important Notice and Clarification Regarding South Beach 'Public Forum'

A 'Public Forum' meeting WILL BE HELD at the Lion's Den at 7:00 pm on Thursday September 4th, 2008 (This Thursday evening).

This Meeting is NOT an "Official Public Consultation" that all developer's must hold. It is a general "Public Forum" meeting.

The intention of this meeting is for the Minister of Tourism, Representatives of the South Beach Development and other Government Officials to collect feedback and information from the general public about the proposed South Beach Development project.

This meeting does NOT qualify as an official 'Public Consultation Meeting'. The developers must do that, and will at a later date. The meeting on Thursday September 4th is VERY IMPORTANT however, because there is clearly alot of questions and concerns in the community about this project. It is a critical time to express these opinions, questions and concerns to the Minister of Tourism and other officials.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

C
C
I realize that I have no legitimate right to voice an opinion on this matter, but, since the discourse has been so animated, I had to do some research to see what it's all about. After reading some back issues of your local newspapers, and viewing the South Beach Development web site, I have to say that I am appalled.

This is the kind of unrestricted and greed-ridden sprawl that has destroyed many Belizes. I left Isla Mujeres for the same reason.

You, as residents and believers in your community, MUST stop this abortion of the environment and society.

As far as those who have already "invested" in this fiasco, ...tough. Why did you not first look at the community and ask yourselves, "Do I want to take part in this eden's destruction just so I can spend my retirement with disregard to whom I may harm?"

I have zero sympathy for any loses you may incur with your shallow and misguided "investment".

My first trip to Ambergris Caye may be my only trip.

"And, Hey Kids..!! Don't Forget to Smash The State!!!"
- Mr. Natural
Spit it out man...say whats on your mind..what ever you do, don't sugar coat it!!!

Reality..What a concept!
well put, i say.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.