Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
lil' red: kudos to you for giving the moms the time they needed with the kiddos. Tough call this time of year when every hour closed is an hour less in the bank.

I will remember and pay forward your gracious generosity and giving spirit by coming to Monkey Bites for lunch as often as possible. However, if you want to qualify for sainthood, a huge batch of your hushpuppies would possibly do the trick. Just a thought... hehe

L
L
Nope, Jesse, none of the band expect me to feed them for free any more than bars expect them to play for free. But I may use them as guinea pigs to sample a new recipe :-)

Ambergris Delight is permanently closed???!!! OMG! frown

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

mr advantage realty turned us onto a 3 table place next door to super buy market called Genie's. simple, homey, and tasty as hell.

we had 2 orders of stew chicken, the best beans (no rice) i've ever had, homemade tortillas & a chicken burrito for $17 US, feeding 4 people. the service was fast and friendly.

gotta love it!

canuker, I've had very tasty margaritas on the rocks/salt at Cholo's for 9 or 10BZ I believe (I have a tough time remembering, I guess the drinks were TOO good . . .).

Keepin'ItReel FishingTours&More AlbertoTrejo 6255373
6709986 reelitinbelize@yahoo.com
I just found my new favorite food. Barbeque chicken with garlic sauce at Sahara. That's the new place across from Ali Baba. It's to die for. The portion is huge. You probably need to order a salad or something to go with it - it just comes with bread. The kababs are really good, too.

Hi canuker,
Ambergris Caye is a resort, for all intents and purposes, and the prices are the same that one would expect in a resort. Not cheap, for the most part. There are some reasonably priced meals to be had on island, but the majority of the selections are high priced. That's the reality of the situation.

There was a time when San Pedro Town was okay for prices, even though it was at the high end of Belize, which was in turn at the high end of Central America. Now, it's no longer "okay", it's plain expensive.

Sure, you can eat street from the vendor's carts and save a few dollars. You can grab a 1/2 fried chicken at the chinese joint near the post office for BZ$8 or so. They have cold beer at reasonable prices, too. Compared to other places on the island, these are examples of less expensive alternatives.

There are still quite a few places that sell tacos for BZ$1 or so. I think that the bakery has some good offerings for sweet breads that make for a reasonably priced breakfast, especially with a cold glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. However, sometimes you just have to realize that you're in a suburb of Cancun and endure the prices.

I misspent my youth in the southwest and I like the cooking. My granny was born in the Territory of New Mexico and was trilingual, speaking spanish, english and dine. When I was a kid, the best way to spend time with the girls in my neighborhood was to help in the kitchen, and I learned to like home cooked mexican food.

On the mainland I enjoy good food on the cheap. In San Pedro Town I eat local food which is okay and high priced. At least a few times per trip I get a really expensive meal, such as a steak at the Blue Water. It's good and it's pricey, but every now and then a fellow wants a nice slab-o-meat.

On the board everybody makes a stink about the burritos at one of the stands on Middle Street. They're okay. I often have one myself. But they're only fair compared to the food at places I normally eat at in the USA, such as Los Dos Molinos. I still mourn the passing of one of my favorite mexican restaurants in LA, which was burned to the ground during the Rodney King riots, but there are many like it where I can get a bigger & better burro than at the stand on Middle Street while paying less.

I like good seafood. I made my living cooking in the Pacific Northwest, and I fed the Mayor of Portland, as well as the Governor of Oregon. I run around with a girl in New England and we tramp around the coastal joints in New Hampshire & Maine. Now, there's some good eats up that way, and sometimes you can get quite reasonable prices. For example, I had lobster claws and chowder for $15 back in July. In San Pedro Town, you can get good food, but you'll pay resort prices. I'm not crying about it, but that's the way it is.

Overall,it's important to have realistic expectations of the food in San Pedro Town. It's often quite good, but it's rarely inexpensive.

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Dan, I guess it's a matter of perspective. I don't consider SP a resort island - not even close, well maybe getting closer than 4 or 5 years ago, but still a long ways to go. I also don't consider it expensive. The first time we were there I made a comment about things being pretty reasonably priced and the proprieter I was talking to said, "You must be from California or New York." So I guess it depends on what you're used to. I'm not a big fan of the street vendors, but we do cook in a couple of times each trip and we are not 3-meal-a-day people, so breakfast and dinner are pretty much it and with breakfast included in the room price at Banana Beach, eating just doesn't run us much. Now bar tabs, that's a whole other thread wink

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
Good Job Dan smile

Does anyone know if Rojo Lounge going to be open in October?

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.