Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#298601 09/12/08 11:13 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I get used to local cats visiting my house for a free meal and in most cases I don't mind, so when I heard munching a few minutes ago I didn't think much of it. Imagine my surprise when I looked out of my study door and saw a baby raccoon at the dog's food bowl. For it to get here it came up a flight of stairs, across a balcony past my dog, and across my kitchen to where the pets' food is kept. I never realised they were so bold.

I heard the munching stop and saw the raccoon had left, so I followed where it had gone. I saw it curled up at the top of the steps with one of the cats sitting calmly by watching it, with no obvious animosity. Is this normal? I'm very wary of raccoons, as I know they can be vicious.

Its pretty normal at my house, over the years there have been many raccoons sharing the dogs dish, beware of the bigger ones they can give you a nasty bite, but the baby ones are pretty tame, he just learned how to freeload at a younger age. If he isn't afraid of you, he may be someones pet and is used to humans. Don't let him inside your house though, they are very mischievous, and will decimate your house.

Reality..What a concept!
Look up racoon in house videos!!! Not a good idea.

I had a houseguest last night, large tarantula!!!!! yikes!

Dare To Deviate
Chloe #298729 09/13/08 07:31 PM
Tarantulas love my house for some reason.I see them frquently, usually on the verandah but a couple of times inside. One lives under my washing machine. They don't worry me, so I don't worry them.

Thanks Natalie, I'll try to relax.

Dare To Deviate
Chloe #298770 09/14/08 06:08 AM
When my daughter or anyone else visits who get freaked out when they see one, my husband puts a plastic container over it, slides the top in under, and takes him outside and places him in the yard.
As for racoons, they are pesky.I don't leave pet food anywhere they could get to it.My cat has been attacked by racoons ,outside, several times. She has had some nasty bites.One got into my bodega and tore up everything in it.

Years ago when I lived in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I heard of a pet Racoon that the owners had for a while. They came in one day and found the apartment torn up badly, and would not allow the ownwers to touch it. It went crazy. If that would have happen to me I would have a nice Raccoon hat.....A la Davie Crockett laugh

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.
N
N
Don't forget about 'Raccoon roundworm' infection (from the feces)that can be lethal.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/baylisascaris/factsht_baylisascaris.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.