Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
I can't/won't compete with DC's wonderfully written report, but since she went the same week as we did, hope you can handle dueling trip reports!

As always, the alarm goes off at 2:15AM. I feel like I only slept 5 minutes. I momentarily dread having to wake the boys up, thinking I'll let them sleep another 15 minutes. Coffee. Need coffee. When I drag downstairs, Steve (11) is already up and dressed, grinning at me. "Look, mom! I set my alarm and got dressed. Ready!" Leo (15) is already up too. Excellent! laugh

Bruce & I sip coffee in bed for 15 minutes, until it kicks in. Let's rock n roll, guys!

In the car at 3:00 - right on time. The boys are very excited, and so are we. Between yawning and silences on the hour+ ride to the airport, we talk about some of the fun things we can do on the island. But we play the 'hurry up and wait' game of international airline travel.

Fast forward 10 hours, and we're boarding the Tropic flight. I look at Steve and bet him a Bz dollar we have to sit in the back. He grins and declines my offer. Smart kid. Up we go�and I can't wipe the grin off my face. I look at the boys faces as we fly over. It is a perfect-weather day. Gorgeous. With a handsome young man on either side of me (in the back, duh), I take turns reaching over them to get photos out the plane windows.

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/102962632

Both boys had been to the Belize mainland with us last year, but Leo had never been to the island; Steve was not-quite-6 when he went, and just barely remembers.

We laughingly take a taxi the 500 or so yards to The Palms, but there was no way we were getting 4 people & 3 big suitcases on one golf cart. Bruce over-pays the cab driver, and we're here! The Palms looks REALLY NICE! Steve is already thinking about that pool. I go to check in, happy. The girl (woman) behind the desk checks us in and hands Bruce the keys. She looks at me and asks 'have you been here before? I remember your face". Yes, I replied, a bunch of times, but not here at the Palms. "Where have you stayed?" I rattled off what places my hot, tired mind could remember at the moment. She added one more, and I said 'OH, yes. I stayed there in '02!' She introduced herself as Ana, a representative from Barb's Belize, and I embarrassingly remember her too! Warm smiles and a quick reminisce.

In no time, we are happily commenting how nice the condo is, throwing on suits, and in the lushly landscaped (and beautiful) pool.

Boy, I love this place! It is soooo good to be back!

(to be continued...)

OP Offline
We all lazed in the pool, talking and laughing, until our fingers began to prune up. The pool at The Palms is very peaceful and serene. I love how they made it feel as if it were in the jungle. Got dressed and grabbed some take-out. Woofed it down heartily, had a smoke or 3 on the balcony - mesmerized by the stunning view, and then we each took a HUGE nap!

Showered up and headed south. No rest for the weary; we were late for a party. Actually, nearly too late, as it was well after 7 when we showed up to see Collette & Maya's fabulous new home. It was very dark and I couldn't see a damn thing. I wandered upstairs, in the pitch black, family in tow. There were still people there, but I could not see any faces. Too dark. Up one more flight of stairs and WOW. WHAT A GREAT ROOFTOP STARGAZING DECK! I turn around and say 'Hunny, the Milky Way is behind you.' I know how Bruce loves that, and we just stare. I see a familiar silhouette, and say "Laurie??" Finally, someone I know (and can see)! She had been laying down watching the stars, but got up to say hi and walk us downstairs to find Collette. I felt a little bad that she had to get up from that amazing view of the sky. Of course, she poo-poo'ed that. So nice.

We thoroughly enjoyed chatting with Laurie, Paul, Paul, Diane, and their friends, and of course, Walter. What a nice guy (do you see the trend of everyone being so nice?). They were happy to share our Dunhills and some stories while the boys went looking around the yard for toads.

Finally, things quieted down, and we had an opportunity to really talk with the happy new homeowners. They are very nice (there I go again), and enchanting to converse with. Colly & I had tried a few times before to meet (unsuccessfully), but now that we have, I do not think I will hit the island without seeing her again. I love this woman! So smart, so engaging, fantastic smile! Maya & Bruce chatted with the boys, and then she (rightfully) showed off the fruits of her labors in their garden, so proud of her watermelon!

After a 45 minute goodbye and a stop at the market for water & snacks, we're back to the Palms. A few more smokes on the balcony, a chat about the first day and what to do tomorrow, and we retreat to our soft beds with their crisp white sheets, and we sleep.

Less than 12 hours on the island and we are already having a great time!

(to be continued).

Hey SJ - glad you finally got to stay at The Palms. Ana is awesome! No Cayo this trip? As usual looking forward to your great photos...

Knock it off, your Trip Report is as good and I am now jonesing for SP and November to get here!

Great report and pics!

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
OP Offline
yes, Barb, i did, and she is! Ana was wonderful, even when we had to re-arrange some things. pleasantly did whatever we asked. she even mentioned seeing my mainland pics! That may (unfortunately) be my first & last time at the Palms. we really enjoyed staying there, but it really was outside of our budget. i spoil our boys. smile

thanks, CB...but you weren't supposed to look at the pics yet, WAAAAY not done with them yet.

this was just the first day. more to come (if i get my fanny in gear). keep up the encouragement!!!!

Sorry Jane, couldn't help myself whistle

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
OP Offline
The next morning, I was up before sunrise (like always). Flipped on the coffee, grabbed a few sips, and went out for sunrise pics. I love the sunrises there, so peaceful and serene. The world feels clean and newborn.

When I got back to the condo, Leo was up. I had more coffee, and asked him if he'd like to walk out to Ramon's dock with me. We did, and as soon as we got to the end of the pier, we saw a stingray! Wow was he happy about that! We saw some other fish, and commented about snorkeling there later on.

the stingray: http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103225240

Bruce & Steve were up by the time we got back, and we loaded into the cart in search of a cheap breakfast. Casa pan Dulce, here we come! Picked up some sweets & savories, had a little road-nibble, and drove the beach-way back. We took them past the cut, and pointed out various places of interest to them.

Had breakfast & showers, and got ready to head for Catamaran's beach BBQ at Caribbean Villas. Tacogirl was nice enough to ask if we wanted to meet them there for the afternoon. What a nice place!

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103259218

The beach area is really pretty, and with the windsurfers and para-sailors, there is plenty of eye candy to keep you occupied. five minutes after we got there, diving cowgirl came walking up the beach. WOO HOO GIRL! hugs and smiles. smile

The food was really pretty good (thanks pelican steve!). Chicken, ribs, sausage & slab-o-pork was available, with fixin's. Everyone was happy.

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103259192

We saw many people we knew there, talked with some, just said hi to others. Cindy & Tacogirl decided to do a dual-birthday parasail tandem. We all watched and cheered. My 3 guys snorkeled out to the pier while DCG, Mary & I chatted. Afterward, my son and Mary's boys got on so well, Steve went back to their place to play video games. Just as we were getting ready to leave, Walter & his friend sailed up to the beach on their way back from Caye Caulker, sparking much excitement. We hugged everyone and said our goodbyes. It was a terrific afternoon, but we were pooped, and it was clearly naptime.

By the time we napped, showered, and nibbled some dinner, it was way past dark and time to pick Steve up at Banana Beach, as Mary's twins had school in the morning. We stopped at the market for a few more staples & snacks, and sat on the balcony, staring at the sea until bedtime.

Another great day.

N
N
Great report Sweetjane. Thank you.

OP Offline
more to come. almost have the pics ready too. anyone wanna see?

Um ......... Yeah, I would since I wasn't invited. <snif>

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.