Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#299237 09/17/08 07:01 PM
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I've meant to ask this before, and the other thread reminded me to do so. I've noticed that most of the golf carts in town are gas powered. Why is that? Or is my impression incorrect?

Anyway, paradise would perhaps be more paradise like if the carts were electric, no? Far less carbon monoxide-filled exhaust, much less noise, etc. Are gasoline golf carts cheaper to buy? Easier to maintain? Cheaper to run? Why do they predominate? (if indeed they do)

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Too many dumb tourist were running out of juice way up north or way down south.

T
T
I have an electric cart now. I used to have a gas cart. I prefer the electric cart. It however is not useful for going up very far past the bridge or going too far south. I have a motorcycle for these trips and do not think the electric cart would be very practical.

Your Complete Property Management Service
Service is FREE for renters!
www.ThreePalmsProperties.net
H
H
Was on the island on a recent trip and my opinion is that a lot of charm on the island has been lost with all the noise and sometimes the bad smell coming from the gas carts(once you drive behind one) and also its like driving a major freeway with all the bumpersticking going on, because they just go a little faster then an electric one... Just another change over the years that does not really work for the island charm I think. Just my 2 cents...

Initialy I purchased a battery powered cart....our home is just north of the cut. With an electric cart the problems are amplified. I'm just more comfortable with a gas cart.....assuming you maintain it probably, you can be assured as long as you have enough gas that it will take you to your desination. Electric carts weigh a lot more than gas carts. As far as the polution problems with gas carts, I think it is very low. I think the cost of electricity to charge a golf cart is about the same as the cost of fueling a gas powered cart.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
A
A
I live in town and walk but prefer elec carts, had both.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there perhaps an aspect of "prestige" to owning a gas cart vs an electric one? My guess is that the gas ones are more expensive to buy? Yes no?

If I buy one once I'm there "to stay", in addition to walking and riding my bike, I will definitely buy an electric cart. I golf a lot, and they are just fine, and have a lot of range. The Club Cars that our course uses usually do 2 rounds a day on a 7200 yard course, then get charged overnight. So that seems adequate

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
JZB Offline
I live almost 4 miles out of town and I love my electric club car. 6 years and still going! You have to replace the batteries about every 3 years but maintence is otherwise minimal. And contrary to popular belief, it does NOT short out and die when you go through puddles. If taking long trips up the coast, you can always take your charger with you.

Has anybody thought to put solar panels on the roof? May not fully charge the battery pack but would help.

There are two different systems in the electric carts. I bought the Yamaha "limozeen" and love it! Problem was that the distributor specialized in gas carts and didn't understand about my computer run electric one. I could go seven miles north and back without running out of charge. Caveat - the computer was mounted under the front floor and going through the deep water would short it out. At about a year Yamaha replaced it under warranty but said they would not guarantee the second one. I begged to have it mounted above the floor but could not get that done. Needless to say this second one two shorted out.
Then my nightmare began. I won't bore you with blow by blow but it was out of commission and in the hands of three different mechanics before it was up and running. AND - I spent close to the cost of a new cart.
I do not find the electric bill for charging it anywhere near the cost of gasoline. Gas is very expensive and dirty. You have to change filters regularly. I would not own a gas one just because of the noise. The electric one runs so quiet that people do not hear me coming.
If anyone can find a way to mount the computer above the water line I would say "GO FOR IT!"

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.