Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#30032 10/24/00 10:02 PM
OP Offline
Hi - I have been following the posts on this board for a month or more now...and you people are really great! I always knew I wanted to come to AC but now I am even more convinced! We were very upset by Keith as our family has a reunion vacation planned over Thanksgiving....but it looks like we may get to come after all - things are moving along nicely thanks to you unbelievably upbeat and determined folks! But now I have a question that perhaps someone can answer from your community....on our vacation I am bringing my elderly parents (76+ years old) and my aunts and uncles (75-81 years old) for a "last fling" vacation together - they are all so excited! But on a recent trip (just this last week) with my Mom - she had a cardiac problem - her blood pressure shot up and she had an angina attack - the problem with where we were was this - they do not have a doctor at their clinic - but they do have a competent nurse (thank heavens she was a big help) but -the big prob...no lights on the runway so no air traffic out at night and no way to reach a hospital or clinic with emergency equipment except by boat for an hour at night -whew! Should have asked about that before we went! So now my question - what type of emergency facility is on AC? Do you have a doctor that can be reached and equipment to monitor an emergency if needed...I understand that anything really serious could be evacuated to Belize City hosp. or Houston hospital but what about stabilizing the patient first?? Or simply trying to determine if evacuation is even needed? This episode scared my Dad and I to pieces and we realized we should have asked about this before? Also - what is the situation with the clinic since the hurricane? Are they back in their building yet or will they be by mid Nov.? If it is not a good idea to bring my "golden oldies" (as they call themselves) we can go elsewhere for this trip and my younger family members can still come to AC this winter and next summer....

By the way -we did donate to the town fund but if there is anything that we can bring with us on the plane let us know....we won't have too much luggage if we are coming and could probably check some boxes of supplies if needed on the plane??

thanks so much!! becky

#30033 10/25/00 05:08 AM
Dear Becky,
I'm gonna ask some questions for you before I answer this question responsibly, OK?
Stand by....give me a couple days.
You can email me too.
[email protected]

I will find out exactly what is available here in the event of a cardiac emergency.

#30034 10/25/00 08:43 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Sandshaker - I must admit - you are a "one woman tourist committee"!! No problem - I can wait a few days. Thanks! Becky

#30035 10/25/00 01:39 PM
B
B
Actually, Tammy is a one-woman everything. If you need something done or information about anything...she is the one to ask. She has "resources" here and there! LOL

#30036 10/25/00 01:48 PM
S
S
We do have several good competent doctors on the island, and any of them are ready and willing to come to your home or hotel room. In a nighttime emergency, the Brits will fly over in one of their helicopters to do a medivac to Belize City. For really serious medical problems you'd need to go to Merida, Mexico; Guatemala City; El Salvador or the US.

#30037 10/25/00 01:53 PM
Tammy who?....don't know her...LOL
Not really...I just like to talk a lot....LOL

Thanks Jess...i was hopin you would post something. Do you know if they have a cardiac monitor...what we call a Lifepac?

That is what I wanted to make sure of before I answered Becky.

Wanted to talk to Natalie....just haven't had time to track her down yet.

#30038 10/25/00 01:56 PM
S
S
No, sadly they don't have one on the island. Only at the hospital in Belize City. I saw an article on TV where they're installing the talking versions everywhere now including shopping centers, airports, on planes. That's something that I plan to work on when everything settles down a bit. We need one!
Any ideas or contacts?

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 10-25-2000).]

#30039 10/25/00 04:07 PM
Yes...we do need one desparately.
Unless you have a monitor...there is no way you can really say what a person's heart is doing or not doing. You can guess from symptons and there are several intervention measures that can be taken without knowing the exact dysfunction.

There are a couple other pieces of equipment that are crucial to diagnosing life threatening situations. I would love to find some donoars for this equipment.

With the way this island is growing and the increase in tourism.....it is prudent that we get better supplies and equipment.
We are not only taking care of all the local residents...but tourists as well.

Maybe if everyone wrote a letter to the Minister of Health and the Belize Tourist Board voicing their concerns....it would help. Maybe....

If anyone knows of any medical supply salvage companies in the states or organizations that would be willing to donate, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tammy
[email protected]

#30040 10/25/00 05:37 PM
for a list of Doctors on the island:

<a href="//AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/town/events.html">Click Here</a>

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-25-2000).]

#30041 10/25/00 10:21 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone about the info ....it brings up a very good point....you are right Tammy that your island should have more emergency equipment now that it is gaining in popularity but also simply for the residents of the island - an hour by the time you get the plane/chopper there and to Belize City ....can be critical. Reading this gave me an idea - I have made some inquiries - I might be able to get a used monitor - or perhaps even a donation - can we come up with a non profit org. to donate to so the co. can get a tax write-off - I noticed the clinic was either built or operated by The Lions Club - does this qualify? What about donating through the Red Cross - or would that not go specifically to Ambergris Caye?
Also - what besides a cardiac monitor do you need? Do they have pulse oximeters? Those are a big help too...some of the monitors do all vitals, ecg, blood pressure and oxygen sat all in one but I think this will not be possible to get for a reasonable cost or donated....but if you or a doctor there can give me some ideas of what would help - I will see what I can dig up.
One last thing.....one question not answered is how operational are things after the hurricane? Still in the hotel or back in the clinic yet?
Thanks,
Becky

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.