Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
G
GBZ39 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Surprised to log on and see no comments!!!!!

We got so many hot topics to deal with - don't know where to start.

I think everyones in shock. Like who was the brainiac who thought taking on poor kids while in the midst of the big and strange South Beach Proposaloosa? Not I, said "the voice of reason" and "look before you leap". I so want to make a speech about conscientious development. But I think I will have to use a different project. The approach here seems to be, problem? what problem?

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
B
B
Exactly what are you referring to. the issue with the HC has been well documented. What more do you have to add to the discussion?

maybe cuz some of us didn't read about it. this guy is making more and more friends everyday, isn't he?

Originally Posted by Channel5
Holy Cross Anglican School of San Pedro is under threat

[Linked Image] There is a developing story from San Pedro Ambergris Caye where Holy Cross Anglican School is claiming it is under threat because the land that the school sits on could possibly end up in the hands of a big time investor. The issue has the community up in arms. Holy Cross is an elementary school that caters to over five hundred students with feeding and computer programs and a medical facility for the community of San Mateo. The Reef Village Estate, owned by Belizean investor, Jess Pierce, has title to twenty-three plus acres of land adjacent to the school. And this is where the problem lies. The school is claiming that Reef Village is attempting to move Holy Cross primary to a location less than desirable, the old medical school, because the investor wants to develop a resort on the school's land. But the developer says not so. The controversy surfaced following a meeting between the management of Anglican Schools and the B.T.B. that informed that the school was threatened with closure. News Five spoke to both sides of the fence today, first to Minister of Education, Patrick Faber, who says that the Ministry will not support the closure of the school.

Patrick Faber, Minister of Education

"There has been ever since the school's inception, a conflict going on. Where the school is located is indeed in conflict with a developer, I think his name is Jess Pierce and there has been ongoing discussion as to how we can resolve that. But make no mistake we are very concerned as well about the health issue. There are some concerns about health in particular, given that the school is in an undeveloped area of Ambergris Caye, it is in the San Mateo are where there is no sewer septic system and there is also the situation where the school is over water basically and not over a land filled area. But closing its doors or shutting it down is definitely not an option."

The community of San Mateo is not the most affluent in the island, and it lacked basic infrastructure. So two years ago the inauguration of Holy Cross Anglican School was a welcomed initiative. And with reports flying of either closure or relocation due to heath risks, News Five spoke to the Manager of the School, Francis Wilson, who rejected the reports.

Francis Wilson, Local Manager, Holy Cross Anglican School

"There is nothing about Holy Cross Anglican School that is not healthy or unsafe for the children. We have had three health inspections in the last two years. And at that point in time, the health inspector examined our septic system, examined the areas around the school, examined the classrooms, and only infraction he could find was that one of the ladies that works in the kitchen did not have on her hairnet. When the Anglican Diocese applied for the area where the school is located, when the application was made to the government, when the land title was actually received, it seems that the Diocesan land bucks right up against the land at Reef Village which creates a problem because it land-locks this area. And we have been told to our face by the person in charge of Reef Village that Holy Cross Anglican School would not be built, first of all, and if it was built, he would see that it did not stay there. So the issue we have is one of an accidental land title which was totally unknown to any of us, to the Anglican Diocese, that when the land title was given it created a problem with the developers at the resort."

According to our sources, if Reef Village was to develop the area, it would essentially land lock the school and impede access by the five hundred plus students.

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_detail_story.php?story_id=21893

B
B
Jeff Pierce has had ample time and opportunity to make the area around Holy Cross more acceptable. One only has to look to the condition of the road in front of his masterpiece to ascertain what he is about. His concern is not the children of Ambergris Caye.

I clicked on the link provided by sweetjane and found that the article was trunkated. I hope to be able to read the full report.
There is another thread that is discussing this issue.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
To be honest, when the rumors are true, Jeff Pierce is saving the school and the kids from their unfit location. We all know the history and there is no need to get into war about that. Moving the school to dry land would be a great solution, especially for the kids!!

Live and let live
while short has a decent point, this is obviously not what ms francis wants to have happen.

while it's current location surely is not pristine, can someone clue me in as to why they feel the old medical school is a 'undesirable location'? i am unfamiliar with it (is it the one south of town?). thanks.

and, so, if he develops around it, residents of RV will look out their windows at San Mateo? really? (or they just don;t put windows on the SE side?)

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103391454

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103391455

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/103391456

Hi Sweet Jane.

I believe the general consensus around town as to why the old med school facility is unfit is due to the distance involved for the kids that live in San Mateo. I think that is a load of bunk considering kids from the DFC subdivision (near the med school) attend Holy Cross. If they can make it the 2 miles north, the kids in San Mateo can travel the 2 miles south.

I know it is not ideal - but we all have try and make a good thing out of the materials we have available.

As with most community issues - MONEY is the missing ingredient.

Although it is certainly the governments responsibility to provide schooling, basic health care etc. etc. we all know that these facilities are all sadly lacking. If we want to improve them we are going to have to figure it out for ourselves - with some government assistance.

Ideally the school needs high and dry land with running water, electricity, sewer disposal facilities. Has anyone every analyzed the costs involved in obtain a couple acres of decent land and building a permanent facility and then the cost of annual operation? If you have please send me a private message.

What I am trying to say is what if we have a target fund to raise - say three million belize dollars and then start heading for it as fast as we can.

I am quite accustomed to Belizean schools that are operated in conjuction with or by churches I know I would much prefer to work towards a completely private, not for profit school.

I know we could do it. But who will spearhead? I can't, sorry to say, I am up to my neck in commitments for the next year - but I am always willing to advise and assist.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 254 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.