Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
P
P
People choose to live in San Mateo. It is the responsibility of adults in a society to make sure that, at least, basic institutions such as schools are safe from dangers such as fecal contamination.If people are concerned about children, they should be screaming to move that school to a safe location not insisting it remains there. It has all be said so I probably end here unless something new is added to the discussion.

A
A
Has the health department been to the school? My brother-in-law is a health officer in Cayo and he believes this may fall into the lap of the Ministry of Health also. If so, what data was recorded?

People don't tend to like change. If the school moves the families will have to change their schedules and logistics. It is just a selfish fact of life. Most people will opt for the easiest, quickest, regular routine rather than have to figure it all one more time from another angle.

I have always maintained that I believe the school should be moved - however I am pragmatic when it comes to reality.

Rather than barraging the school, its administration, the students and their parents with constant criticism, I am sure that constructive solutions to the problem would be most welcome.

And not obscure ideas like "let's move it to the old med school building", but rather "we have identified a location, it will cost $xxx to buy/rent the location, it will cost $xxx to move, it will cost $xxx build whatever additional facilities are required, $xxxx for transportation for some of the kids to travel (if necessary) and $xxx to cover overheads each month.

I think if the cost of buying land and relocating the school can be raised, then it can all be moved during summer months, and the school's current administration subsidized by the government should be able to keep the school operating.

Some people live in way worse conditions than the situation at the school. In some cases the kids are being placed into a safer and more healthy environment each day that they are there. Some parents are struggling so hard to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads that they would consider it foolish to start screaming that there kids school be shut down. They know they can't afford to move it (if it is up to the parents alone) and so they won't talk against it.

It takes a village to raise a child. And whether or not these are your kids, they are a huge part of this community.

Stop yelling and start rolling up your sleeves guys. And if you can't be constructive and helpful please stop hampering the people that are willing to give up their time, money, energy and love for this project.

Some of the most vocal protesters of this school are people I consider my friends, but I have to say that I am disappointed with the apathy that this subject receives from them when we are not on this board.

If the school is moved, it will solve the problem of the school only.
Another major problem is overlooked with the arguing about the school.
I am still very concerned about the health risk to the innocent children of San Mateo as well as to everyone else in the Boca Del Rio area and lagoons to each side and back of the river.
Children swim in the river mouth.
The roads are full of lagoon water and people are walking barefoot thru it and sometimes falling in the puddles.
It will continue to get worse until an adequate sewer system is in place or residents not permitted to reside in houses without it.Rehousing for them would be a solution if it is cheaper than landfill and installing a sewer system.
It is urgent that this problem be resolved soon as well.

The GOB has some great, high dry solid land further up north. But typically most folks don't want to live that far from town, stores, etc. etc.

I would love to see the whole area abandoned, cleaned up and restored to a somewhat natural state.

P
P
Including removing RV?....!

Let's hope no one is ever allowed to construct again anywhere without adequate sewer facilities.
I remember when the canals in Belize City were such a foul mess. Imagine that happening here.

I don't care about RV one way or another , investors go into this project with their eyes open and for most this is not their primary place of residence - but I do care about the lower income families that can't find other options.

After reading my post above I feel I was little harsh with my wording saying that I don't care about the RV. I have met many people on this board that own RV units and I do care about them. What I meant to say was I have no desire to see RV go away, just the slums that surround it.

C
C
I am amazed .... as a future 1st-time visitor to AC, and one who has seen tourists come and go to various Caribbean Ports of Call, with no lasting imprint relative to their stay .... I am looking forward to this.

Your concern and motivation with the well-being of AC and it's residents is astonishing (As well as the expected chaos of democratic involvement).

This trip oughta be good.....

Last edited by Carib; 09/29/08 11:59 AM.

"And, Hey Kids..!! Don't Forget to Smash The State!!!"
- Mr. Natural
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.