Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#302175 10/03/08 11:27 AM
OP Offline
Many U. S. and Canadian citizens will soon receive an improved and more secure version of a card that allows them quick passage over the region's four international bridges.

Starting next month, at no charge, cross-border travelers who already have NEXUS and FAST cards will begin receiving the next generation of government-issued cards under the Trusted Traveler Program, federal officials said Wednesday.

"The technology is similar to an E-ZPass on toll roads and the good news is there's no personal information on the embedded chip in the card. It transmits a number to the border checkpoint," said Stephen LeBlanc, an official with the U. S. Government Printing Office, which has been assigned the job of manufacturing the new cards.

The high-tech cards are replacing plastic cards that resemble bank cards. And the new cards join two other high-tech forms of cross-border identification currently available to Buffalo Niagara travelers - the U. S. State Department's $45 passport card and New York State's enhanced driver's license, which costs about $30 more than the average $50 license.

All of these forms of identity, along with passports, are compliant with the federal law known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which requires improved identification documents to enter the United States starting June 1, 2009.

The new NEXUS and FAST cards, which permit access to specially designated lanes at the international crossings, feature an embedded, ultrahigh-frequency chip and antenna that transmits a number to the computer at the border-crossing checkpoint.

Using that number, the U. S. Customs & Border Protection officer can then access a secured database that brings up the cardholder's facial image and other identification information that can be compared with the card bearer as he or she is screened by the officer.

To qualify for the Trusted Traveler

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
OP Offline
We Need this at the Security line also.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Well, I'll be darned. smile

I thought it was going to be like my Canpass card. I never have to show it (unless asked to present it, which hasn't ever happened yet). I only have to stick my iris' in front of a camera so that it can take a pic, instantly compare and then, voila, I'm through.

My only problem is that I'm a bit short for the scanner/camera, so I usually have to move around a couple of times before it reads me right.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.