Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#302419 10/04/08 07:43 PM
pugwash Offline OP
OP Offline
Although I try to make whatever charitable donations I am able to, there are many times when the cause is greater than my ability to support it, but it always seems that the need is now, now, now, with no mechanism for future contributions?

As we age, the wisdom of saving and preserving becomes more obvious, but with no kids or grand kids, the need to pass assets to future generations is not an issue for Jane and I, and bequests to worthy causes are always considered each time we revise our wills

So to the point: Is there (and if not why not and who should we nominate to get it started ?) a trust or charity set up for those of us who love San Pedro to leave a little something for the community we all so enjoy, in a way that our collective funding will have a greater effect than smaller individual contributions?

To remain separate from any political party or local government entity would seem imperative as would a revolving board of unpaid trustees and a grant process that matched a percentage of community or municipal funds for projects such as water treatment, garbage recycling, student scholarships for Belizeans to study in the US and return to serve their community and I'm sure a host of other good things.

How many of us have condos or houses that we would rather see help fund our little slice of heaven once we've gone as opposed to going to the nephews or nieces we've met 3 times who are just waiting for us to die? I know if there were units like that in a pool somewhere where the proceeds went to a trust, that would be the first place I'd look for a rental?

Anyone with any thoughts or ideas before the November trip post them here, or let me know and I'll forward them to President Otter who may have to delegate some responsibility in return for his fancy new title smile

If we can set up something before years end for a charitable deduction on 2008 taxes so much the better, but I'm up for a little seed money either way?

Not Rykat or Captain Jeff kind of money, but I'll call and bug them if we can get the ball rolling smile

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
H
H
The San Pedro Social Club would be a great name for this organization!

Great idea pug! Just remember that no good idea goes unpunished and I would get the full lowdown on potential difficulties of such a trust from Ernie. As H2O alludes, this has been attempted before with some success albeit with some pain as well.

I'll stay out of the private sector and not exert any control over this one wink

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
pugwash Offline OP
OP Offline
In the big picture, my dilemma is that were Jane and I to die tomorrow, between the accidental death clauses in our life insurance and liquidation of assets there would be several million to our beneficiaries, and I would have no wish for one individual or entity to receive all of it.

An administered trust or ongoing board that could distribute funds in conjunction with bequests from others would be far closer to my ultimate wishes, and could look at projects too big for individual contributions to take on..........or maybe just one big party weekend with unlimited Belikins and a Wet T shirt contest with serious prize money?

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
I'm sure Leah Ann would know how to set up something like a foundation with honest respectable people on the board of directors.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
pugwash Offline OP
OP Offline
I had considered that, but by the time we got done with arguing about the name, we'd have to argue about the location of the first meeting, then we 'd argue about when it should be, and by that time I'd probably already be dead!

Do you think she may be susceptible to my charms after all ?

She's yet to agree to any of my proposals, but perhaps she'll take one for the team wink

Sure...right after Ernie & Sneaky become good drinking buddies.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
R
R
Pug I sent you a PM

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Pug, I have always thought you a great guy, and now I KNOW you are. What a wonderful idea...Kudos to you and your bride for thinking of others in such a generous way.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
Hi Uncle Pug!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.